one tooth?- Mtbr.com

Thread: one tooth?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

one tooth?

i rode a new trail the other day and had trouble with a couple of hills. i currently run 34x17 on my kona unit. i never spun out on the downhill sections. my question is, what can i expect from going to an 18 tooth freewheel? i've noticed in other threads that not everyone is using 2:1 gearing. thanks.

steve

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbiker
    i rode a new trail the other day and had trouble with a couple of hills. i currently run 34x17 on my kona unit. i never spun out on the downhill sections. my question is, what can i expect from going to an 18 tooth freewheel? i've noticed in other threads that not everyone is using 2:1 gearing. thanks.

steve
    It'll be a little bit easier to pedal. Not a lot, but a little bit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    2:1 is a starting point for many but not a rule. It obviously depends on your regular terrain. I run a 53" gear - a tadge higher than 2:1 but it works for me. If it's hilly and muddy then mid 40's might be more the ticket.

mtbr member
    you will notice a little bit of difference. if most of your trails are flat, 2:1 is a good way to go. i do not enjoy flat trails so i have been running 32:17 on my 26. i have a 29'er that will be here next month and i am going to run 32:20, which would be close to a 32:18 on a 26.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Arggghh!!! Personal bugbear of mine and not particurlalry directed at dirtdirt223 but I just wish when discussing gears everyone would stick to gear inches - so much easier to compare at a glance.

you will notice a little bit of difference. if most of your trails are flat, 2:1 (52") is a good way to go. i do not enjoy flat trails so i have been running 32:17 (49") on my 26. i have a 29'er that will be here next month and i am going to run 32:20 (46.4") , which would be close to a 32:18 (46.2") on a 26.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well if everyone would just stick to normal size wheels this wouldn't be a problem...... ......soooooooooooooooo just kidding. I couldn't resist

Quote Originally Posted by felixdale
    Arggghh!!! Personal bugbear of mine and not particurlalry directed at dirtdirt223 but I just wish when discussing gears everyone would stick to gear inches - so much easier to compare at a glance.

you will notice a little bit of difference. if most of your trails are flat, 2:1 (52") is a good way to go. i do not enjoy flat trails so i have been running 32:17 (49") on my 26. i have a 29'er that will be here next month and i am going to run 32:20 (46.4") , which would be close to a 32:18 (46.2") on a 26.

Members who have read this thread: 0