On-One Sells Out To Trek!- Mtbr.com
    HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

On-One Sells Out To Trek!

Just kidding you silly inbreds...

It's Friday, I'm bored, at work and missing my bike. I'm gonna give it a jolly good thrashing this weeknd.

I got a big 'ol bottle of Chimay (red label) to drink to, so the weekend will be enjoyable.

What are your biking & drinking plans for the weekend?

dave

Sweep the leg!
    Them's fightin' words!

I might be hypersensitive though so let's make a list...

1- I live less than an hour's ride (by single speed) from the Waterloo factory.
    2- Here in Madison there are 2 (yes, 2) Trek Factory Stores and 5 Trek or Trek sub-brand dealers (Middleton Cycle, Budget Bicycles, Machinery Row (Owned by the same guy as Budget), Willy Bikes East (but for how much longer?) and Monona Village Pedaler.
    3- I can remember walking around '95 Interbike in SoCal wearing a button that said "Not bought by Trek... yet" (we sold out to Cane Creek)
    4- Lance Who?
    5- "Trek OCLV riders" really means "Trek Overpriced Carbon Loves Vain riders"

those are Rollercams...
    Quote Originally Posted by daveIT

I got a big 'ol bottle of Chimay (red label) to drink to, so the weekend will be enjoyable.

dave
    As do I, gift from one of my staff

Probably a quick run on a local trail and back home for tea.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

Peace & Love
    riding plans include a great 15 miler tomorrow with super fun singletrack.....then back home to watch the 4 kids....put the kids to bed.......drink whatever alcohol is sitting in my fridge in the garage.

oh yeah, forgot to mention, between the end of my ride and returning home, stop by my local bike shop to check the progress on my Inbred build they hopefully started today!

cheers

Just Give'r!
    caffeine powered- i see where youre coming from, and i greatly prefer independent frame builders' offerings in terms of bling-factor, but you really can't disrespect trek's carbbon. this is probably the only strength of trek. If you want to diss carbon, look at the offerings from look or kestrel-stuffing carbon tubes with foam is not cool. I ride a trek carbon road bike and LOVE it-I'm no weekend warrior when it comes to road bikes I work in a bike shop and have ridden dozens of carbon offerings. I don't understand carbon MTB's but if i were to get one, the frame would be a trek. Just because you read BIKE magazine and fiddle around with your drive-train now and then doesn't mean you have the knowledge and background info necessary to make bold statements about Trek's carbon technologies.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    HEY! I resemble that remark

mtbr member
    Oh No!! The Trek faithful will be coming out of the woodwork.

mtbr member

Oconomowoc

Them's fightin' words!

I might be hypersensitive though so let's make a list...

1- I live less than an hour's ride (by single speed) from the Waterloo factory.
    2- Here in Madison there are 2 (yes, 2) Trek Factory Stores and 5 Trek or Trek sub-brand dealers (Middleton Cycle, Budget Bicycles, Machinery Row (Owned by the same guy as Budget), Willy Bikes East (but for how much longer?) and Monona Village Pedaler.
    3- I can remember walking around '95 Interbike in SoCal wearing a button that said "Not bought by Trek... yet" (we sold out to Cane Creek)
    4- Lance Who?
    HAHA! I live about 2 miles from the Trek Distribution Warehouse here in Oconomowoc. As for the Treks in my house...they belong to Sarah, and when I go in the garage, they glare at me...because they want to buy me.

I'm getting ready for a fixie ride on my Surly.

Sweep the leg!

great, call Orkin

Quote Originally Posted by Suffer
    Oh No!! The Trek faithful will be coming out of the woodwork.

Did I start calling their engineers names? I don't think so.

My problem is with with Trek's corporate douchebags. First, it was them buying up brands like Bontrager so they could replace the "Trek System" labels on theire stems, bars, rims seatposts...etc. I'm sure Keith Bontrager is happy to have the money and the free time to lead his own life but what did Trek accomplish?

Second, Trek has no emotion when it comes to putting one of their "Factory Stores" right in the heart of the nearest sity that should be able to thrive by selling Trek. What actually happened when Trek built the store at West Washington and Regent Street? Yellow Jersey dumped all the Treks in their parking lot and called Trek to "come get your bikes out of our parking lot." Then to really piss off Erehwon, Haack's Cycle, Village Pedaler and Middleton Cycle they started selling below invoice. Then they opened a Factory Store on the west side of town (barely 10 miles away) at Mineral Point Road and Hwy 12/14. A few years later they closed the West Wash store but now there's one at Lien & Eagan Road so they've got east & west sides covered. Never mind that Willy Bikes is just a couple of blocks away from that new store.

If Trek was truely interested in fostering a dealer's ability to sell Treks & Trek brands they'd stay out of town. Put something in the Johnson Creek "Mall" which is nearer the factory if they're wanting to provide tours of the "Trek Showroom Experiance".

FUxK TREK

"Mr. Britannica"

dude you're f-ing crazy

It's Friday, I'm bored, at work and missing my bike. I'm gonna give it a jolly good thrashing this weeknd.

dave

BLUE label is what you want.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

yeah

Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    BLUE label is what you want.
    That's good stuff too, but was $4 more a bottle and I didn't have the cash on me.

"Mr. Britannica"
    That's good stuff too, but was $4 more a bottle and I didn't have the cash on me.

wow, I've never seen the different labels priced differently

Just Give'r!
    Caffeine, I see more clearly where you're coming from, but it still seems to me that you're being a little childish about the whole thing- but then again, you're entitled to your opinion and the way you choose to express that opinion.I love my sl frame from trek, and I come to the defence of their products, not their business organization. I own A Trek, i don't own Trek.

change is good
    Sep 2004

Mixed up

Why I hate Trek
    1. promised me that a Klein Adept would handle my weight. It was disclosed to me in confidence that the shop employees were told that there is no weight limit on their bikes.
    2. when it broke again the Adept was out of production and they would only give me a new Adept frame or credit towards any Trek product. They would not give me a new Fuel frame, carbon or aluminum. It took them over two weeks just to give the above response.
    3. terminated a sales contract with a local dealer because they sold under invoice. That dealer is now selling a boat load of Cannondales which are damn nice bikes.

Why I love Trek
    1. my Madone SL 5.2. After I calmed down I realized their warranty offer was fair and I put it towards a road bike. Of course it arrived 2 1/2 months late. You can be a hater, but their carbon road frames rock.
    2. Lance and the big Postal machine. I think it's great that they sponsered a good ol' boy to kick butt in Europe in a sport dominated by Europeans. Maybe that's why I'm getting greeting waves from pickup drivers?

mtbr member
    I don't have a problem with Trek I just think it is funny how people that own Treks get so offended when someone says something bad about the company. Why do you care! If you love the bike than to hell with what others think.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    OCLV -
    Optimum Compaction, Low Void.

Doctor type folks use those words to describe....

Constipation.

Not that Trek is constipated or nothin' - they're puttin' out plenty of ****.

Oh!

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by cmatcan
    you're being a little childish about the whole thing- but then again, you're entitled to your opinion and the way you choose to express that opinion.

I didn't have feelings about Trek until they started to cost my friends their jobs... even if they did end up hiring a couple of them after Erehwon, Haack's and YJ started closing the doors on locations less than half a mile away. I don't believe the opening of a TFS directly across the highway was the sole reason but it certainly didn't help.

I don't care what you ride, just don't ask me to ride one.

Just Give'r!
    I don't remember asking you to ride anything. And I don't expect everyone to like trek's....i'm glad they don't, because there are way too many of them as it is. Just don't categorize trek riders- I have plenty of bikes, from a kona unit to an old concorde fixie to a giant xtc to a bianchi pista. I ride to ride- not, as many do, to be in possession of the coolest bike. But when you generalize riders of a certain bike and make inaccurate statements about the quality of a given product, that is what I have a problem with. Beleive me, I'm not losing any sleep over this, but we're not in grade 3 here- if you're making a point, be precise and accurate and stick to the topic at hand. Stop contradicting yourself in your own posts.

mtbr member
    How about we all just go out for a ride and not care about what the other guy is riding!

Just Give'r!
    Yeah, I'll put my name on that idea. keep riding!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Hope Stop "Trolling" Caffeino!

Quote Originally Posted by cmatcan
    But when you generalize riders of a certain bike and make inaccurate statements about the quality of a given product, that is what I have a problem with. Beleive me, I'm not losing any sleep over this, but we're not in grade 3 here- if you're making a point, be precise and accurate and stick to the topic at hand. Stop contradicting yourself in your own posts.

DITTO!
    Just Spinning Along.

Beer it does a body good!

You missed a few

I didn't have feelings about Trek until they started to cost my friends their jobs... even if they did end up hiring a couple of them after Erehwon, Haack's and YJ started closing the doors on locations less than half a mile away. I don't believe the opening of a TFS directly across the highway was the sole reason but it certainly didn't help.

I don't care what you ride, just don't ask me to ride one.
    What about Collen/Cronometro, Tail wind? But from your text, you are Collen or an employee. BTW what happend to Hacks?

Time Travel
    I never met a cyclist, that I could not learn from!

Big G
    Winner of the Gnome Fest Quattro Home brew contest

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by cronometro
    What about Collen/Cronometro, Tail wind? But from your text, you are Collen or an employee. BTW what happend to Hacks?

Time Travel

Colin and his shop are doing quite well. http://cronometro.com/ They're hitting the high end target square in the center with no real competition in this town. Haack's had serious financial issues (Terry Kardatzke was the owner) and sold the building on East Washington and all the bikes to Delmore (Del) Henning, owner of what was Williamson Bike Works and is now Willy Bikes. That's an even better story of how Del pissed off the owner of the Machinery Row structure and had to relocate off Williamson Street.

I still see Larry of Tailwind when we're picking up our daughters at school. Larry currently works at Office Depot. After he closed Tailwind it became Madison Mobile Mechanics which is now Revolution Cycles. The structure was demolished a few years ago and is now various retail shops on the ground floor and condos on the 4 or 5 floors above. Revolution Cycle is a couple of blocks east of the Barrymore next to Cafe Zoma at Ohio and Atwood and is doing well serving the commuters and single speeders of Madison.

I'd rather not say who I actually am but I'm certainly not Colin or one of his employees. In fact I haven't worked in a shop since 1995. I just pay attention to what people say and never forget the details.

Beer it does a body good!

Same old Madison

Colin and his shop are doing quite well. http://cronometro.com/ They're hitting the high end target square in the center with no real competition in this town. Haack's had serious financial issues (Terry Kardatzke was the owner) and sold the building on East Washington and all the bikes to Delmore (Del) Henning, owner of what was Williamson Bike Works and is now Willy Bikes. That's an even better story of how Del pissed off the owner of the Machinery Row structure and had to relocate off Williamson Street.

I still see Larry of Tailwind when we're picking up our daughters at school. Larry currently works at Office Depot. After he closed Tailwind it became Madison Mobile Mechanics which is now Revolution Cycles. The structure was demolished a few years ago and is now various retail shops on the ground floor and condos on the 4 or 5 floors above. Revolution Cycle is a couple of blocks east of the Barrymore next to Cafe Zoma at Ohio and Atwood and is doing well serving the commuters and single speeders of Madison.

I'd rather not say who I actually am but I'm certainly not Colin or one of his employees. In fact I haven't worked in a shop since 1995. I just pay attention to what people say and never forget the details.
    Wow, same old Madison, the only constant is change.
    I never met a cyclist, that I could not learn from!

Big G
    Winner of the Gnome Fest Quattro Home brew contest

Members who have read this thread: 0