One more eno question- Mtbr.com
    Living the Dream

One more eno question

OK so I posted a couple of days ago about getting a new Hadley or rebuilding more my Hope XC hub. I am now considering the eno eccentric disk as I am sick of the tensioner and figure this will be a better long term solution. I have acouple of questions for eno users:

1. I use hayes 6 inch hydros; do I need to purchase a seperate adapter?

2. Do the hubs slip?

3. Are most owners still happy with them?

4. Where is the best place to get the freewheels at?

Thanks,
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

No Justice = No Peace

Eno Disk

do a search. the disc set up for ENO is kinda weird, but it works great. There's an eccentric thingy on the adapter so you can line up the caliper with the disc. It seems like a pain, but I would guess that the wheel returns to the same position each time, so you don't have to play with it each time you remove the wheel. I think they sell the hub withthe eccentric brake adapter together. I have had great luck with geting honest answers from them on the phone too. Call and ask.

I've never had my ENO slip or act funny in any way. I love it. If I had discs on my SS I would use White Industries again, no problem.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

Poorly Disguised Poser

best place to get freewheels

Any place that sells White Industries freewheels.

I suggest a LBS as a first stop...always.

Some places that have lots of WI stuff include
    Toeclip.com and Webcyclery.

There must be a million others.

Ken

mtbr member

answers

1. I use hayes 6 inch hydros; do I need to purchase a seperate adapter?

2. Do the hubs slip?

3. Are most owners still happy with them?

4. Where is the best place to get the freewheels at?

1. email me a picture of the hydros if you can: ernesto at h b f k dot com

2. Not if you tighten the bolts

3. I am

4. WebCyclery, or just call White Ind.

Living the Dream

Is the black eno annodized or powder coated?

The finish on the black eno doesn't look as nice as my hope or hadley hubs. This might just be a case of bad photos as I haven't seen one in person. Is the finish nice in real life. The polished looks good thought.

Also, that brake adapter is expensive. $60 ouch. I guess it will be a good long term investment.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Similar to other posters, such as Ernesto, I know of friends having great luck with their ENO eccentric hubs. The set up is easier after you make sense of it. Pretty slick how the system works. I know of 2 hubs and neither has had any issues what so ever.

Call Lynette at White Ind and she can tell you all you need to know as well. Great product, with excellent customer service.

-SSconny

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My ENO Eccentirc works great. No slipping at, and really easy to tension the chain. I modified an old cone wrench to be 19mm, which I carry with me and use to rotate the hub to tension. Some people manage it without tools, but I found my chain length was just so, that pushing down on the bike did not quite get the chain tight enough. A bit more fiddling with perhaps a half link would make tool-free tensioning even easier.

The adapter is a slick solution, although I think they could improve on it by putting the grub screws somewhere where you could access them with the wheel on. Now you have to take the wheel off the adjust the caliper position. No big deal, but not perfect.

Remember to loctite the grub screws too. Mine came loose on my first ride.

My only other complaint is that I can't get the full range of adjustment on the eccentric adapter, as the bottom of the adapter actually hits the disc rotor bolts on my frame. As it turns out I don't need that range anyway, but if I was running a smaller rotor (140mm), or had the hub rotated differently it could be a problem.

Still, all in all, I'd give it 8 out of 10. Great solution for me, which is clean and looks like it'll last. I wished the White Industries freewheels were a little lighter, but that's another story....

Members who have read this thread: 0