One of the last pre-two-circles Vultures- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

One of the last pre-two-circles Vultures

I've attached a couple of pics of my Vulture, taken before she got dirty in our Appalachian spring weather. It all started fairly recently after I turned 43 and gave another look at a dusty Giant hardtail with a worn out drivetrain that I hadn't ridden in a couple of years (time flies especially fast for working couples with kids). Use to be the case that I enjoyed tinkering and tuning the drivetrain on the old bike... getting the shifts to just snap into place. But, after a while, I got tired of the expense and effort of keeping the bloody thing from trying to buck me off with chainsuck and worn-chainring skip and all the racket... cleaning caked mud out of derailleurs...etc. The irony is that when I first saw a singlespeed, I didn't see it as the solution to all those irritations: I fell for the sculptural form and function of the thing. The fact that it didn't make any noise and was nearly maintenance free were added bonuses---I was hooked. Of course, I'm completely out of shape and end up walking my new rig up a lot of hills at the moment, but I don't miss slowly crawling up the hills while furiously spinning a granny gear. I know I'll clean of bunch of the hills by the end of this summer.

So, after spending a lot of time peering at this, and other, forums, I settled on Wade for my new frame. I gave Wade free reign to do what he felt was best, right down to the color of the powdercoat. I just wanted the frame to fit. My old Giant was WAY off the mark. You can't tell that the same person rode both bikes when you put them side by side. Is what happens when you get fitted to an off-the-shelf machine using only your inseam as a measure... Wade's frame fits me and I love it.

It is fitted with a bunch of Ebayed bits and pieces...raceface cranks and bb, king headset, etc. I have no idea how much it weighs, and I really don't care. The frame has great feel and the only excess weight I'm pushing around currently resides at my midsection. The whole system, including me, will get lighter and stronger by this fall anyways. It has short chainstays and a longish toptube on account of my monkey-long arms (Wade probably remembers the dimensions... I don't). The only thing is that Wade spec'ed the geometry for a Fox 80RLT, and I picked up a Float 100RLT (for a song) instead. I kind of doubt that the 2 cm or so increase in the axel-to-crown will make much difference. Dunno.

In any case, its been a while since I had the time and inclination to head out to the hills on a regular basis, but now I just look at the thing and I have to at least loop around town on it a bit (its hilly enough even in town to keep me from overspinning very much)

Anyways, hope you all enjoy the pics.... Wade does good work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Frequent Crasher
    Nice bike I love my Vulture, but what do you mean Pre-two-circles?
    SB

Bikes not Bombs.....

Bike fitting tips for your rig.......

You might want to do two things by the looks of you rig:

1. Move the saddle back a bit.

2. Rotate your riser bars back about 45 degrees.

The combination of these two things will give you the same cockpit, but looks like it might balance you out a bit more on the bike.

Great looking bike. I have always admired the craftsmanship Wade puts in his bikes. I think you will love the bike as you really get to ride it.

All the best

JS
    Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... -

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Before Wade set up his current shop

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBad
    Nice bike I love my Vulture, but what do you mean Pre-two-circles?
    SB
    Wade built it up over X-mas, before he moved into the new shop and picked up a bunch of framebuilding equipment from the now-gone Two Circles folks. So, it is one of the last frames he made before moving into his new digs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Still playing with the cockpit...

Yes! You noticed all the symptoms of an uncomfortable seat. My aged bum no longer likes this selle flite saddle, so even though I am often out of the saddle, I have found a preference for sliding that seat forward... seems to help shift the weight off a bit. My lbs will let me test drive saddles for a week or so, and I will do that as soon as they get in a few more choices. Something a bit wider... Also, my Titec stem is a bit long (135). I've got a 110 RF Deus coming that'll help get me back a bit more as well. In the meantime, I've been sliding the saddle and the bars around (clearance issues with the toptube, since I don't have any spacers with the headset... kind of moot since my son (2 1/2) banged a couple of chips of powdercoat off it with a box wrench... c'est la vie) pretty much every time I ride just to get a better feel for the bike. Thanks for the tip, though. I ride mostly on my own, so not many experienced eyes have taken a look at the set up.

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    That's an unbelievably beautiful ride. I need to break my current steed or get a non-student job so I can buy one!

Try one of the fatty WTB saddles--get a women's model if you must. I switched to a SpeedV cromo from a saddle similar to yours and the WTB is much better. MY girlfriend has the women's SpeedShe, and it's equally comfortable. I wouldn't be the least bit ashamed to ride it, but it's hard to really get off the back of due to its width.

A few more tips...movig your saddle back on the rails will probably increase your rear-wheel traction, at least when pedalling seated. I don't know if that's soemthing you struggle with, but it helps me keep the wheel planted (better--but not perfect). Also, if you find you're wanking pedals over rocks and whatnot, switch your EBB to the same position at the top--this will raise your effective BB height and you'll have much more clearance for cranks and pedals over high stuff. Good luck, and enjoy your sweet new ride. S
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

Out spokin'

Nice looking

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSteed
    I've attached a couple of pics of my Vulture, taken before she got dirty in our Appalachian spring weather.
    Welcome to Club Vulture. I'm a member, too. Good company.

Luckily there is no brand of bicycle called "Baby Seal." Somehow I don't think anybody would want to join "Club Baby Seal."

Anyway, nice bike ya got there. If you ever get out west to Vulture Country (Oregon), look us up. There are quite a few Club Vulture members out thisaway, and plenty of jaw-dropping gorgeous singletrack to exploit. After the ride, first round's on me.

Cheers.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Davey, you kill me!

Club Baby Seal, indeed?

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by red-haze.com
    Davey, you kill me!

Club Baby Seal, indeed?
    Hey, man, where you been? Seems like many moons since I've seen your carcass hangin' 'round these parts.

But I'll see you (and your pretty) this weekend at BC, eh?

Get down, bruthas 'n sistahs! Hallelujah!

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.