On One Inbred or Canfield Bros Nimble 9- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

On One Inbred or Canfield Bros Nimble 9

I'm looking for a steel SS hardtail to build as my first 29er and thought I was sure about waiting for the Inbred run coming up, but the nimble 9 is also starting to grab my attention. However, cost is about twice as much as the Inbred.

Can anyone help me compare these two frames? I'm a little concerned with reports of heel / crank rubbing on the stays on the nimble9. And when saving cost of the Inbred, I will have a little extra cash to go towards a better wheelset.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    First go with the Inbred, a very good frame, you will love it.
    After you will get deep into the SS mud, sell it and buy the the N9, you will appreciate it more.
    I am not kidding

Did I catch a niner+?
    I have been riding a Inbred 29er frame for about 2 1/2 years and it's been pretty enjoyable the whole time. I liked it even more when I just switched to a rigid fork this past July. Once I brought the front end a little more down the steering was much better.

I do not know much about the N9 but as you mentioned on price you could have most if not a whole bike built for the same price on a Inbred. Does the N9 even use a nicer steel or it the same cro-mo?

Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    I have been riding a Inbred 29er frame for about 2 1/2 years and it's been pretty enjoyable the whole time. I liked it even more when I just switched to a rigid fork this past July. Once I brought the front end a little more down the steering was much better.

I do not know much about the N9 but as you mentioned on price you could have most if not a whole bike built for the same price on a Inbred. Does the N9 even use a nicer steel or it the same cro-mo?

Doubt it. What's an Inbred cost? $300 or so? Nimble9 is $700. A decent wheelset costs around $300, I just don't see having almost a complete bike for Nimble's frame price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post

What size fork were you using before you went to the rigid?

here is the Nimble 9 I think it is the same cro-mo

mtbr member
    So it looks like the Nimble9 is a little more slack angle (69 vs 72) is that right?

Does anyone know how much a 19.5 Inbred frame weighs ? edit> looks like the same 5.5 lbs

I'm answering my own question... It looks like i will go with the Inbred. all I really need is the wheelset and tires and a fork. (and maybe iwill get a new headset) I have just about everyhthing else.

Dinner for wolves
    Geez. A 2010 inbred and a 2011 yelli (alu N9, essentially) ride so totally differently that you will know which one you prefer within minutes of riding them. Totally different geos and personalities. It is a steel vs alu thing, it is about geometry. If you can throw a leg over an N9, you should. If it suits your style, then nothing else will do (except perhaps the Kona Honzo?)
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    well, since I can't throw a leg over any of those you mention, care to elaborate a little?

Did I catch a niner+?
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlS View Post
    What size fork were you using before you went to the rigid
    I was using a Lefty Speed w/DLR2, I am not sure on it's A to C but I use a Salsa Cromoto Grande now that is 468mm and a 45mm rake and this feels a lot better.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlS View Post
    well, since I can't throw a leg over any of those you mention, care to elaborate a little?
    For rocky twisty trails like we have out here in PA, the short wheelbase Canfield design makes for a bike that is silly easy to wheelie and hop. Moreso than than the On One. On the downhill sections, with a 120mm fork up front and a slacker HA, the Canfield feels confident despite its short wheelbase. THe best of both worlds, really. My buddy loves his Inbred, though, He didn't heed my advice to buy the Canfield (it was brand new and nobody had one at the time...mine was on order), but I think he would have been happier on the Canfield given his aggressive/DH inspired biking style. In any case, both are wonderful. Just know that they ride very differently. If you are used to short chainstay bikes (I came from a Karate Monkey run at 17.2"), there is only one choice for you. Otherwise I am sure you will like either bike.
    Responds to gravity