Older SS hub question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Older SS hub question

Hey guys, I posted a question over on the VRC forum since the hub in question is an older vintage type item. After I thought more about it, I probably should have posted it here since you would be more in tune with the various SS hub set-ups. Anyway the hub is a nuke proof and its on a bike I just recently bought.

Not a typical screw on type freewheel set-up but looks like an SS specific mini splined cassette / cog with a screw on retaining ring? I am used to the standard cassette with spacers, the newer mini cassettes like the King and Hope SS hubs have, and the typical screw on shimano or white freewheel configuration. This is definitely splined, but the body is not large enough to be a typical multi-gear cassette. I am sure its probably a simple answer, but something I would like to know if someone has the answer.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Pulled the lockring off the hub today and it was basically backwards as you can see by the serrations in th pic facing outward. The other side of the lockring says "Shimano DX" so I guess that answers my question and just figured I would close this out as such.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    home-made ss'er?
    i cut down the alloy freehub of a hugi once... depending on where the pawls are/bearing arrangement I can see someone cutting the heck out of one and spacing it over like this.
    would explain the long non-drive axle spacer.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

nothing to see here
    doesn't make sense why someone would go to the trouble of cutting a freehub, spacing the non-drive side, and then having to re-dish the wheel.

Looks like an unusual, but factory built ss hub.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Looks like a BMX hub with an axle spacer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cockroach
    Looks like a BMX hub with an axle spacer.
    +1, just what I thinking.
    Bikes=Sanity

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob
    doesn't make sense why someone would go to the trouble of cutting a freehub, spacing the non-drive side, and then having to re-dish the wheel.

Looks like an unusual, but factory built ss hub.
    This wheelset was on a 1996 vintage bike and all of the components are sort of like a time capsule as they sat in a guys garage for years as the result of some health problems the guy had. I would guess that the bike was converted to SS late 90's. The hubs appear to be factory built Nuke Proof and in like new condition. There were three versions of Nuke Proof hubs and the badge style, which these are, were the last version produced and supposedly the strongest. The earlier BMX style nuke proof hubs were a standard screw-on freewheel configuration and through web searches I have been able to find one picture of a mid-late 90's Nuke Proof BMX hub that has the same splined rear hub set-up with the standard BMX spacing. I would guess this was carried over by Nuke Proof in limited fashion to a 135 spaced MTB version hub. I have not been able to find any catalogues, ads, or other data on this particular hub though so I am guessing it was available not long before Nuke Proof (the original company) went out of business.

Thanks for the input folks its appreciated!

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    Regardless, it is very cool stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for the feedback on the hub guys. Its a pretty good option for a 80-90's vintage frame converted for SS like an old Bontrager, Ritchey, Fat Chance, or GT and make it a breeze to change out cogs as needed.

Members who have read this thread: 0