Older Phil Wood hubs...worth building up?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Older Phil Wood hubs...worth building up?

Bout to pull the trigger on a Vassago Fisticuff frame to build up as an SS commuter/gravel grinder/winter road bike to replace my Surly Steamroller. Anyway, I want to keep the build relatively cheap and relatively light. An older wheelset popped up on CL with Phil Woods flip flop SS hub rear in 135mm spacing and I am just wondering what they should be worth and whether it would be a good investment for the new bike. Only drawback is I would not be able to go to disk brakes (wasn't planning on it anyway) and I'd never be able to consider gears (which I wasn't really anyway). Assuming the hubs are in good shape, any reason to stay away? Bearings are all replaceable right?

The wheelset comes with Mavic 517 rims and straight gauge stainless spokes, which I'm assuming is not the lightest of combinations but could be a good enough starting point? What would you pay and how well to Phils hubs hold value?

pics:
    Older Phil Wood hubs...worth building up?-screen-shot-2016-03-28-10.07.44-am.png

Older Phil Wood hubs...worth building up?-screen-shot-2016-03-28-10.07.23-am.png

mtbr member
    As long as the flange holes are in good shape and there are no cracks, there's no reason not to re-build with any hub.

Phil's are truly nice hubs that can give a lifetime of service as long as they are maintained.

I don't think that this would be the best set for the Fisticuff though, considering there are no easy options for braking. Could you put a front rim brake on the fork? It may make a nice set for the Steamroller.

You may get more answers posting in the Cyclocross or wheel forum.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    As long as the flange holes are in good shape and there are no cracks, there's no reason not to re-build with any hub.

Phil's are truly nice hubs that can give a lifetime of service as long as they are maintained.

I don't think that this would be the best set for the Fisticuff though, considering there are no easy options for braking. Could you put a front rim brake on the fork? It may make a nice set for the Steamroller.

You may get more answers posting in the Cyclocross or wheel forum.
    Yeah the Fisticuff has cant/v brake posts front and rear, I was planning on running tektro mini vs because they are cheap and light. Ended up getting a Surly hub/Salsa del gado wheelset off the guy I bought the frame from so I'll run those for now.

PS...can't seem to get any answers in the CX forum.

Hairshirt Rider
    Do it. Those hubs are built to last.