Older diamondback sorrento frame for ss?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2014

Older diamondback sorrento frame for ss?

I got a 97 or 98 model diamondback sorrento that was my wifes. It is a cheap piece of crap in my opinion. But I can't help but think the frame would make a nice little ss mountain bike. Would the frame be worth using if I stripped it to a bare frame and built it from the ground up or is the frame as crappy as the rest of the bike. What can I say......the bike is just sitting there and collecting dust. Would the frame put up with much abuse or is it one notch above a huffy frame?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Diamond Back is one of the brands I've sold in the past, and during that time period - I wouldn't put any time/money into that thing personally.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If you are the tinkering type, then go for it! It won't cost very much. It won't make a great ss, but who cares. The fun is in the journey. You'll learn a lot in the process.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    My 2003 Diamondback Vectra had a crap frame. The geometry was wrong for normal riding.
    The front was too light for sitting and spinning. Switchback's would have the front off the ground when climbing far too easily.
    As a single speed and with it's associated standing when climbing, it's brilliant and built up as a 9.5kg rigid.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips View Post
    If you are the tinkering type, then go for it! It won't cost very much. It won't make a great ss, but who cares. The fun is in the journey. You'll learn a lot in the process.
    Well that's just it.......I thought if I was going to do it (someday), I was going to strip it down to the bare frame and replace everything and possible build new wheels and convert to disc. I would end up having some money in it when I was done. Considering my Soma build this last winter had a little over 2k in it when I was done, minus the $500 for the b side frame, you could figure around 1500 in everything else. I am not itching to build another bike right now and spend the money but I thought if the frames were half assed decent I would hang onto the bike and use it for a future build. Getting a new garage built in a month so I am cleaning my old one out and getting rid of junk. Not sure if I am going to hang onto this diamondback or not. If the frame is that crappy (which I was worried it may be) then I am not going to spend that kind of money down the road building anything around it. Thanks for the suggestions.