Thread: Olde Tyme Bling

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Olde Tyme Bling

I have never had an old (hell, it's old enough to drive) component that I liked so much as I have liked my Cook Brothers cranks. This is the second pair I have owned, 181s for the SS, and in my opinion they have ever been equalled. Sure these are beat up, a few blems here and there, but DANG they're a spicy meatball.

What is your favorite Old School crap that you just can't give up?

JMH
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    I have never had an old (hell, it's old enough to drive) component that I liked so much as I have liked my Cook Brothers cranks. This is the second pair I have owned, 181s for the SS, and in my opinion they have ever been equalled. Sure these are beat up, a few blems here and there, but DANG they're a spicy meatball.

What is your favorite Old School crap that you just can't give up?

JMH
    Used to be my Cook RSR 181's until I snapped the drive side. I would really like to find another set. In all fairness, the cranks were really beat when I picked them up and I got a good year on them before it went out on me. I sort of knew I was pushing it and realized what had happened before I hit the ground.

I guess now I would choose either a WTB greaseguarded King HS or campy euclid cranks. A new set of cooks would knock either of those off the top of the list. I think the cook cranks (any of them really) epitomize elegance of design when their competition was putting out garrish design messes. If they didn't have to be huck proof, they could still hold their own in the market.

I'm working on getting a lawwill leader 3 which will be very bling indeed and intend to run it on the front of a beach cruiser. Another of my favorite old time bling pieces are Bontrager forks, especially on a Bontrager old enough to have the right geometry for it.

cheers

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Ah, Euclid...

Campy OR parts are cool. My mission when I built my first cyclocross bike was to use entirely Campagnolo components, or at least as many as possible. Setting up Record OR cantilevers was a PITA that I wouldn't wish on anyone, and they were already getting hard to find in 1995. But the bike worked great and looked hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy named SSue
    Used to be my Cook RSR 181's until I snapped the drive side. I would really like to find another set. In all fairness, the cranks were really beat when I picked them up and I got a good year on them before it went out on me. I sort of knew I was pushing it and realized what had happened before I hit the ground.

I guess now I would choose either a WTB greaseguarded King HS or campy euclid cranks. A new set of cooks would knock either of those off the top of the list. I think the cook cranks (any of them really) epitomize elegance of design when their competition was putting out garrish design messes. If they didn't have to be huck proof, they could still hold their own in the market.

I'm working on getting a lawwill leader 3 which will be very bling indeed and intend to run it on the front of a beach cruiser. Another of my favorite old time bling pieces are Bontrager forks, especially on a Bontrager old enough to have the right geometry for it.

cheers