old specialized for single speed + questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

old specialized for single speed + questions

On my local craigslist there are quite a few old ridged stump jumpers and hard rocks that are old steel frames and was wondering how they would work for a ridged single speed. Most of them are from the late 90's and early 2000's. They all have a quill style stem and was wondering if a stem adapter would work for this. Or if the old quill style stem would work for mountain biking.

Thanks a bunch

P.S. any recommendations for a good pair of rim breaks?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    If you can find one with horizontal dropouts, it makes the whole thing easier. Probably need to go older. I would also look at clearance for wide tires, if you can stuff 26x2.2 in there, at least in the front, it makes the whole thing go down smoother. I could live with a quill stem. I could also live with cheap v-brakes, I'm running 15 year old "el cheapo" brand brakes and they seem to be working. I wouldn't pay 50 bucks for a pair of vbrakes if they were guaranteed to reach up and tickle my butt on the flats. Well. Maybe I would pay 50 for that. But not a penny more. I'd pay for decent cable though.

mtbr member
    thanks a bunch!!

mtbr member
    You can probably put a 1 1/8 rigid fork on the bike, and switch out the headset for threadless if you want to use a modern stem. Should make a nice ride, the older Specialized frames were decent steel. Other reason to go with the new fork, so you can run a disc up front, or Mullet setup.
    "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always 20 years behind the times." Twain

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I have a 1999 stumpjumper comp, it says m2x metal matrix which is some aluminium alloy. The sizings of most components on it are very easy to find these days, 1 1/8 Threadless headset, 30.9mm seat tube, 73mm bb shell. The dropouts on mine are semi horizontal, i have it set up 36x18 ss with a halflink. There is enough movement to account for chain stretch, although it was pretty tight to begin with. I have just scored a shark fin which is specialized's disc adaptor for the frame, and i have a disc rigid fork on it.
    I managed to build it with cheap parts and it weighs around 9kg. I love the way it rides, very fun geometry in my opinion and i would definitely recommend it.

mtbr member
    I converted an early 90s hardrock last year. It had semi horizontal drop outs but those old frames come with some steel in the drop outs to keep the wheel in the same place. I tried fileing it out but didn't persist. I just threw a singulator on there and called it a day. I had to get a new wheel too because the original was a freewheel not a freehub.

I rode the shit out of that bike as my first SS pull breaks and all. old specialized for single speed + questions-uploadfromtaptalk1434424871432.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My first ss was my first mt bike a Trek 830 ('91) which I converted to a single speed a few years ago with an Origins 8 converter. Rode it for over a year before getting a my current ss.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Awshucks View Post
    I converted an early 90s hardrock last year. It had semi horizontal drop outs but those old frames come with some steel in the drop outs to keep the wheel in the same place. I tried fileing it out but didn't persist. I just threw a singulator on there and called it a day. I had to get a new wheel too because the original was a freewheel not a freehub.

I rode the shit out of that bike as my first SS pull breaks and all. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1434424871432.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	242.3 KB 
ID:	996146
    How tall are you? You must be about 7'5" with a rig like that!
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Lol, I'm actually 6'5 but that was a medium frame and is actually the reason I sold it. That bike was too small. But it was a good intro to SSing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat View Post
    You can probably put a 1 1/8 rigid fork on the bike, and switch out the headset for threadless if you want to use a modern stem. Should make a nice ride, the older Specialized frames were decent steel. Other reason to go with the new fork, so you can run a disc up front, or Mullet setup.
    Would you recommend a carbon ridged fork or steel?

CS2
    mtbr member
    Does it really matter if it has a quill stem or not?
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Does it really matter if it has a quill stem or not?
    Not that much I'm just thinking that it would be easier to adjust the fit of the bike, I like a short stem on my bikes and was not entirely sure about the quill stem because I don't have any experience with them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Same basic process, you just get a shorter stem. It's actually easier than swapping stems on a threadless rig because you don't have to re-tension the bearings.