Old school Hoo Koo E Koo, Unknown year- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Old school Hoo Koo E Koo, Unknown year

Just bought myself a bday present, Unknown year Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo. Paid 60 for it, spend 27 on the front brake and another 30 on tires.

I wanted to try out a single speed bike as a dedicated trail bike. Took it to my favorite local trails on Saturday to test it out (Unfortunately the tensioner is currently a chopped up derailer, so I need to replace it as the chain keeps falling off..) and I LOVED it!! The handlebar is a little forward for my taste so i'll move it back some but it was amazing how light the bike was! I'll weight it soon, but it is a great bike!

Anyone have any idea what year the bike was made? It says "Made in Taiwan" on it.

Thanks!

one chain loop
    check the bottom bracket for serial number
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

Apr 2007
    Looks like an early 90's?

Is that a del Sol?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    It's a 73 Porsche 914 with a 350 sbc, among other things..

Serial # is fs90115058

Apr 2007
    Wow, way off.

I think that's a 1990 model. Nice buy.

This guy is selling his for a whopping price:

http://www.budgetbicyclectr.com/stor...-mountain-bike
    Last edited by p nut; 11-08-2010 at 08:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks! This explains why it's a solid front fork. The guy I bought it from told me he thought someone might have switched it out, but it's the original paint so I was really confused.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Awesome comparison! That is certainly it! Only difference I see is the front where it holds the fork (Headset? still new to the lingo), mines taller so that would mean its probably a different year.. So 90 sure makes sense! Oh and of course mine is a 20.5" frame VS his 14".

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    PS, if it makes you feel any better, one of my daily's is a 89 CRX SI : )

Apr 2007
    I believe the first two numbers after"fs" indicated the year (correct me if I'm wrong). Just for future reference.

I have been casually looking for a CRX/EF Si for a few years. Unfortunately, most are rusted out or belong in an Uncle Ben's box. Even EG/EK hatch's are very hard to find...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Ya even my california only one has some rust, Seat mounts were rusted and the PO fabricated some aluminum bolt on fixes (i'll have to fix it properly some day..).. Thats all that I see though, didnt notice it till I got it on the lift @ home.

Eh, for 1600 what do you expect.. (have another 700 into it though.. tires/wheels/cat/maintenence..)

Great car, I get ~ 30mpg city and up to 45mpg highway. Fits bikes too! I fit my bike and my girlfriends bike with her seat all the way up and in the first tilted notch (Luckily she's short..) with both front tires off the bikes. I'd have more room if I took both tires off, but for non quick disconnects on my suspension bike i'd rather not..

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    i went through 4 motors in 2 years in my STOCK Civics. One was only 5 years old and only had 54k on it when it spun it's first rod bearing. They just cant take a beating like my other cars.

Nice bike though! cool porsche too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    4 motors? WTF? Thats insane! Honda motors are supposed to last forever! I've got 205k on my SI engine and it just needs a refresher (New rings, and i'll throw on a Vtech head at the same time..)

Apr 2007
    Something's not right. I've been through HPDE and autox events without a single engine issue in any of my Hondas. The 01-05's were a dissappointment, though, due to suspension design. But engines were still stout.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyrew
    4 motors? WTF? Thats insane! Honda motors are supposed to last forever! I've got 205k on my SI engine and it just needs a refresher (New rings, and i'll throw on a Vtech head at the same time..)
    their motors are junk, IMO. The first two motors burned oil REALLY bad. The iron they use in the sleves is crap, almost every motor with some mileage on it has a severe ridge worn in at the top of the stroke. Those motors were d16z6's. One was changed because it wouldnt pass smog burning 2 quarts a week. Smoked like hell. The other one had low oil pressure when warm and eventually spun a rod bearing.
    The next car (the one with 54k on it) had a d16y8. It spun a rod bearing after about 6 months. When i changed the bearing and crank, i noticed the crankshaft had only 1 oil hole per journal, where the d16z6 had 2. The crank is EXACTLY the same, otherwise. Most of the motor is actually the same. Drove it for another 6 months and another bearing went. Did some more research and discovered the oil pump flows 30% less than the d16z6 did. Again, the pump is completely interchangable. Why did they take away half the lubrication? My guess is to keep up the oil pressure so the pistons dont starve and wear out the cyls. Design flaw, IMO. Robbing Peter to pay Paul.
    Another thing that pissed me off is their color coded rod and main bearing system. Instead of grinding the crank journals to a consistant size, they just have different sized bearings to compensate for their lack of holding a tollerance. The last crank i measured had more than .005" difference between journal diameters. If they cant hold .001-.002" on a CNC grinder, something is wrong. They're pushing production way too hard, which is the Honda way. Then they rape you on bearings... $40 per half a bearing that isnt any higher quality than the SBC bearings that you can get for 10% of that?
    Also, look at the suspension and chassis components. They're all crap. Luckly the car doesnt have enough torque to rip them apart. There's no suprise they get a crapload of wheel hop, there's nothing supporting anything under there. It just hangs off the cab like a diving board.
    In all fairness, i beat the living crap out of my cars, BUT i maintain them, and my domestic stuff does not have epic failures like that. I've been beating the living crap out of my Mustang for over 5 years now with 160k on the clock, and it runs like a raped ape. My chevy van has 282k on it and doesnt burn a drop of oil.

Sorry for the rant, i just hate hondas.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    Something's not right. I've been through HPDE and autox events without a single engine issue in any of my Hondas. The 01-05's were a dissappointment, though, due to suspension design. But engines were still stout.
    it cant just be me. i see TONS of Hondas on the road that throw a blue cloud everytime they shift.

Apr 2007
    Sorry for all your troubles. I'm actually surprised, as this is the first time I've heard someone having this much trouble with D-series engines. (having been around Honda's for 12 years now) I've now had 3 d-series, an they've all been trouble-free. I was going to say lack of maintenance, but seems like you know your way around cars.

Although most of my friends have moved on to BMW's and MB's, I've still got a couple of Hondork friends left and none have had issues like you're describing. That includes plenty of d-series, b-series and F20/22c's. All of mine were driven to track, beat on, then driven back.

And the blue smoke thing--I Have seen that, but usually they accompany an APC windshield banner.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have one of those (90-ish HKEK). It's my 'urban' bike now, with 1.5" slicks. Really fond of it. It's a pre-Trek sellout model, intended to compete with the Stumpjumper. You got a great deal at $60.

Weirdnesses:
    The fork and headset are probably 1.25" Fisher Evolution. Chris King has a replacement model in that size as well as a Devolution version to convert to a 1.125" fork.

Pull off a crankarm and you'll probably find a sealed bearing 'pressed' into the frame. If they ever start to squeek, Phil Wood makes an awesome (and affordable) bearing upgrade. First question here: http://www.philwood.com/support/faqs.php

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    To be perfectly honest, I HATE honda's as well , But I was in need of a commuter/beater and was tired of racking up miles on my 98 Audi A4 1.8T quattro w/ a big turbo (and other crap, setup for autox, read 1.04G's on street tires 4.8 0-60). Luckily my honda has traction bars, so wheel hop is gone, but it still doesnt handle very well... Poor design is one way of putting it..
    However I do like the engines, Simple and effective.. Most of the blue smoke is from worn rings on cars with 200-250k miles.. Mine smokes a bit.

Im a german car guy.. First is my 914, then my daily was my dads 944 turbo (LOVED that car), mistakenly decided I needed a 4 door, bought the A4 and loved Quattro..

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    rkevans,

Great info!!!! It will come in handy when I throw a front susp on it sometime later.

Jul 2006
    To be perfectly honest, I HATE honda's as well , But I was in need of a commuter/beater and was tired of racking up miles on my 98 Audi A4 1.8T quattro w/ a big turbo (and other crap, setup for autox, read 1.04G's on street tires 4.8 0-60). Luckily my honda has traction bars, so wheel hop is gone, but it still doesnt handle very well... Poor design is one way of putting it..
    However I do like the engines, Simple and effective.. Most of the blue smoke is from worn rings on cars with 200-250k miles.. Mine smokes a bit.

Im a german car guy.. First is my 914, then my daily was my dads 944 turbo (LOVED that car), mistakenly decided I needed a 4 door, bought the A4 and loved Quattro..
    mine had ridge so bad that it would have had to been opened up .06" to get rid of it. This car only had 160k, which IMO is pretty low for a modern engine. If my Mercury friggin Topaz didnt smoke, . They just dont take abuse very well. Even the low mileage one consumed some oil.
    Your audi sounds pretty fun though... nothing better than a car that can take a corner. That's why the only mods my car has are suspension related (control arms, panhard bars, subframe connectors, springs, etc..) i'd love to do some track days, but i need a cage first.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    You don't need a cage to do a track day, I've ran my 914 and a4 on the track with no cage. DE events are perfect for this. As long as you have track ready brake pads (stock ones will NOT do, and the car is up to snuff, your pretty much golden!

I went out with an Audi group in my a4 an most of the cars were very close to stock. I had fun toying around with a new rs4 and a couple of new modified s4's..

Jul 2006
    Sorry for all your troubles. I'm actually surprised, as this is the first time I've heard someone having this much trouble with D-series engines. (having been around Honda's for 12 years now) I've now had 3 d-series, an they've all been trouble-free. I was going to say lack of maintenance, but seems like you know your way around cars.

Although most of my friends have moved on to BMW's and MB's, I've still got a couple of Hondork friends left and none have had issues like you're describing. That includes plenty of d-series, b-series and F20/22c's. All of mine were driven to track, beat on, then driven back.

And the blue smoke thing--I Have seen that, but usually they accompany an APC windshield banner.
    in all fairness, i'll find the weakness in any car. I really beat the crap out of them. I'm a bit of a g force junkie.
    APC stickers... haha
    Havent seen those since i left the east coast. It was that and Neuspeed. I love it when they're on the geo metros.

Jul 2006
    You don't need a cage to do a track day, I've ran my 914 and a4 on the track with no cage. DE events are perfect for this. As long as you have track ready brake pads (stock ones will NOT do, and the car is up to snuff, your pretty much golden!

I went out with an Audi group in my a4 an most of the cars were very close to stock. I had fun toying around with a new rs4 and a couple of new modified s4's..
    my car is a vert, unfortunately, so i thought i needed a cage. Although, i havent called anyone about it, i just heard that through the grapevine so i could be wrong.
    What track have you gone on? I've been on Willow Springs, but only with my old sportbike. I'd love to take the car on Streets of Willow. It's too slow for Willow Springs lol

Apr 2007
    Most HPDE events require roll bars. You'll have to check for info on the specific event. Not required for auto-x.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Streets of Willow in the 914
    Buttonwillow in the A4
    Passenger on Thunderhill in my dads track ready 944 turbo (he had 2..)
    Did an autox school @ Infineon (Autox schools are BY FAR the most fun that I have driving.. 3+ hours of driving for ~ 50 bucks? Hell ya! Its like 50 autox'es in one day!!)
    Parade lap @ Laguna

Cars are my first passion, Bikes are sneeking up there as number 2!

Your mustang is a vert? There are a lot of boxsters/miata's/S2k's that do track days and I believe they run with no cage... You could easily pass with a 4 point bolt in roll bar though... Has to be legal for the sanctioning body your racing though.. PM me if you want me to check with my southern racing buddies to find the sanctioning body's that do cheap DE's/Open track days, you could then check with their requirements for convertables.

Apr 2007
    Let me just say I'm happy this turned into a motorsports thread. Even though I'm the only Honduh fanboi here.

ISAR - I also rode a F4i for several years before giving it up (marriage/kids). Super fun, but people that tried to play bumper cars with me ruined it. I still daydream sometimes about the 14k redline doing 140.**

** Closed course, professional driver.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    You said Geo metro?

Check out my buddies,

Jul 2006
    Streets of Willow in the 914
    Buttonwillow in the A4
    Passenger on Thunderhill in my dads track ready 944 turbo (he had 2..)
    Did an autox school @ Infineon (Autox schools are BY FAR the most fun that I have driving.. 3+ hours of driving for ~ 50 bucks? Hell ya! Its like 50 autox'es in one day!!)
    Parade lap @ Laguna

Cars are my first passion, Bikes are sneeking up there as number 2!

Your mustang is a vert? There are a lot of boxsters/miata's/S2k's that do track days and I believe they run with no cage... You could easily pass with a 4 point bolt in roll bar though... Has to be legal for the sanctioning body your racing though.. PM me if you want me to check with my southern racing buddies to find the sanctioning body's that do cheap DE's/Open track days, you could then check with their requirements for convertables.
    streets just looks like a blast. i really want to hit that one someday. Springs is just too fast for comfort. I like the slower windy stuff. the car really shines in gears 1-3 when it can actually get some power down. After that, it kinda looses it's pizaz. That autox school sounds like a blast, i'll have to look into that. It's a bit far for me though, i'm in San Diego.

The mustang is a vert. I love it, but i dont even know if i'd want to drive it on the track without at least a bolt in 4 point. They were about $300 last time i checked (3 years ago), but once you add tires, and all the other expenses, it adds up quick.

Jul 2006
    Let me just say I'm happy this turned into a motorsports thread. Even though I'm the only Honduh fanboi here.

ISAR - I also rode a F4i for several years before giving it up (marriage/kids). Super fun, but people that tried to play bumper cars with me ruined it. I still daydream sometimes about the 14k redline doing 140.**

** Closed course, professional driver.
    haha you hondorks are loyal, i'll give you that. Almost as bad as us mullet wearin mustang owners.

i miss my sportbikes, but i just got bored of it, kinda like geared bikes. I'm building a bobber right now, i'm hoping it'll revive motorcycles for me, kinda like the singlespeed did for mountainbiking. it's a hardtail after all
    I will say Honda makes some of my favorite sport bikes. I've had about 8 or 9 over the past 9 years, and my cbr954rr was hands down the most favorite bike i have ever ridden. I had an f4 track bike that was pretty fun also, but it didnt fit me very well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    streets just looks like a blast. i really want to hit that one someday. Springs is just too fast for comfort. I like the slower windy stuff. the car really shines in gears 1-3 when it can actually get some power down. After that, it kinda looses it's pizaz. That autox school sounds like a blast, i'll have to look into that. It's a bit far for me though, i'm in San Diego.

The mustang is a vert. I love it, but i dont even know if i'd want to drive it on the track without at least a bolt in 4 point. They were about $300 last time i checked (3 years ago), but once you add tires, and all the other expenses, it adds up quick.

Autox schools are put on by MANY autox bodies. Check the SCCA in your area and other autox organizations. They typically have 1 a year. I know PCA (porsche club of america) typically does 1-2 a year.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I am certain that I'm almost as cool as you guys. For instance, I SS, poorly. I also owned an 89 accord and it was rad and it died. I woulda raced, as it handled so sweet. Peel around a corner and I'm sure the wheel well was about a foot higher than the tire. I've also taken my SV to the track, kinda sorta hated it there, but it is tough to beat in the urban jungle.

So, am I in the club?

Jul 2006
    Autox schools are put on by MANY autox bodies. Check the SCCA in your area and other autox organizations. They typically have 1 a year. I know PCA (porsche club of america) typically does 1-2 a year.
    cool, i'll check into it when i get back into car mode again. Thanks!

Sweet metro... what's the story with it? looks like it was involved in the an off road version of the 24 hours of lemons

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    I am certain that I'm almost as cool as you guys. For instance, I SS, poorly. I also owned an 89 accord and it was rad and it died. I woulda raced, as it handled so sweet. Peel around a corner and I'm sure the wheel well was about a foot higher than the tire. I've also taken my SV to the track, kinda sorta hated it there, but it is tough to beat in the urban jungle.

So, am I in the club?
    well, you'll have to get hazed, but i'm sure we can work something out.

I had your bike's big bro, a tl1000r. the tl stands for total load

I'd love to have a sv650 for the "urban jungle", as you put it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Well if it makes you feel any better, Im still on my old 93 Ninja 250, I turned it into a streetfighter though.. Havent ran it in a while though.

Story on the Metro.. Bought for 500 titled and smoged. His whole point of the car was to buy something he could destroy.. So he gutted it, Gutted the doors, removed the hatch, kept the seats and steering wheel/guage cluster. Painted it camo (cant tell from the dirt, I doubt he'll ever wash it off). Did some dirt, wanted some clearance, so he tried to put honda springs on it but it wouldnt work, I suggested to raise the spindals (being in racing and building a couple cars, I had a bunch more actual car knowledge than him..) so he did that with some 2" exhaust tubing giving him 3" more front lift and a tad stiffer.. Still have to do the back (The pic is pre lift). He then wanted a radical exhaust, so looking under the car I found a spot in the body to do a side exhaust, then he wanted to run it out the side of the car like a bike.. Thats the story up to now.. When I get the time i'll weld him a exterior roll cage and a skidpan to protect the engine vitals.

Pretty sure he has less than 800 into it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    This bike was stolen today. If anyone see's it please let me know.

Thanks

Members who have read this thread: 1