Old is New(er)- Mtbr.com

Thread: Old is New(er)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Old is New(er)

I converted my old hardtail to SS and after a few rides knew I liked the SS way of riding. But the bike was still an old bike with problems and that funny looking gadget hanging off the back keeping tension on the chain.

So I sent if off to a guy from a local forum and had him weld on some new drops. This is all I expected, but in the processes I ended up with an almost new bike. He significantly upgraded his SS and trickled down the parts to mine while also unsticking a very stuck seatpost, fixing a top tube dent, cutting off old stops and tacking on a new one for V-brakes. The bars are the only new part I contributed. Still need to ride it to see how much better it is but I can already tell the difference just around the block.

Old version

New Version

He also gave it a little burned affect to go with the work he did and cleared it instead of painting. What do you think?

try driving your car less
    looks great. you owe that guy many beers.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Head tube angle??

Did he change out your headtube and adjust the GEO? or is it a camera angle trick? The first pictures looks like it has a much slacker HT angle, and the forks look to have a similar length. OH and BTW, sweet looking build!!!!!!! I always loved that clearcoat welder heat mark look... Almost bought a unfinished NYCbikes frame off eBay because it looked like that. Def nice looking, and make sure to repay your friend for his kindness !!!

Reviewer/Tester
    That frame looks really good..

Only thing I didn't like was the yellooo forks..

Nice bike, amazing what you can do with older frames and some love.

R.
    Last edited by Rainman; 08-05-2005 at 07:37 PM.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah the front angle does look alot different but the frame did not change any. The forks are taller than the others and are supposedly 100mm but it is not a very active fork (spinner I think) so I may go rigid instead.

I tried to pay him for his efforts and donations but he would not have any of it, and he is not a beer drinker so I picked up a Jethro Tule and being a SS only guy himself he could not turn that down.

Quote Originally Posted by shastaou812
    Yeah the front angle does look alot different but the frame did not change any. The forks are taller than the others and are supposedly 100mm but it is not a very active fork (spinner I think) so I may go rigid instead.

I tried to pay him for his efforts and donations but he would not have any of it, and he is not a beer drinker so I picked up a Jethro Tule and being a SS only guy himself he could not turn that down.

Butt if he's not a beer drinker then he is only getting half the utility out of the Tule!

Quote Originally Posted by shastaou812

Butt if he's not a beer drinker then he is only getting half the utility out of the Tule!