mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Old GT Talera Changing parts

I own an old GT Talera (somewhere around 1992-1996). I thought about turning it into singlespeed and change some parts. First timer at this so I have my doubts as to the fork size. Would I be able to fit a 1" 1/8 fork in it? I am not even sure if its stock one is 1" . Anyone has any idea size specs of this bike?. I am thinking on the cheap side so I thought of putting a BMX crankset 175mm, any thoughts on this?

thanks in advance

Dan

mtbr member
    My Talera, which I have had since about '94, had a 1 1/8" threaded fork stock. Be aware though that the Talera was not suspension corrected, so even an 80mm fork will slacken the angles. IME it is still rideable, but not ideal. Tange makes a 1 1/8" threadless rigid fork with a ~400mm a-c that works well with the Talera's geometry.

BMX cranks are heavy and not necessarily cheap, especially those with the necessary "European" BB.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the advice!. Thing is that I am trying to find some nice looking black crankset that could be somewhere around $50 and have yet found one.. As far as the fork, what is the fork model you are talking about?. Thanks again

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure this is it: http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=FK2459. Any shop can order this for you -- QBP part# FK2459

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    as for a cheap crankset you can go with these. i have them on my converted GT Ricochet. be aware that's it's a 5-bolt 110 BCD so "normal" rings won't work although both salsa and surly make rings that will.

http://fmfbmx.com/Merchant2/merchant...ategory_Code=C

Members who have read this thread: 0