Old 700c SS- Mtbr.com

Thread: Old 700c SS

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009

Old 700c SS

Last year I had a stable full of SS bikes. This year I find myself with only this one, after my SS 29er was stolen. It's a 1983 Univega Gran Turismo. Originally had 27" wheels, but I put 700's on with 32/30 mm cross tires. Has 36x17 gearing which puts it at about 57-58 gear inches. I'd like to race cross with it (usually ride a geared CX bike) and I've done some commuting and trail riding. Fun bike, definitely want to have another SS MTB soon. Only new parts are seatpost and brake levers. Might run flat pedals just cause.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old 700c SS-p1020082.jpg  

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    Awesome. I love seeing bikes recycled and back in action.

Teen Wolf
    looks fun

Dive Bomber
    SS is natural born awesome and SSCX is definitely uber awesome.

mtbr member
    rad! i am trying to do the same thing with a 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk (yeah, it's a hybrid but it's lugged steel and it has canti's) but it has vertical (oops, i first typed horizontal) drops. i am trying to do this on a $0 budget, but there is no "magic gear" for a 430mm chainstay and i am doubtful about chain tensioners for this one.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 12-04-2010 at 07:07 PM.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle
    ...i am doubtful about chain tensioners for this one.
    not a $0 budget item, but if you can't m.g. it, then consider a yess etr-b. sweet tensioner that works very well, looks clean (keeps the rear of the bike smooth and "dangly free", and is bulletproof if set up correctly.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

one chain loop
    rad! i am trying to do the same thing with a 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk but it has horizontal drops..
    must be a typo, you mean vertical drops, right?

but there is no "magic gear" for a 430mm chainstay and i am doubtful about chain tensioners for this one.

have you tried the combos in the shaded area?
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    i would but then i would have to break down and buy something! it may come to that. it would be cheaper to just put a derailleur on it.

sorry about the thread hijack.

master blaster
    how bent are the rails on the saddle?

looks like a fun ride!

mtbr member
    I have a 79 Gran Turismo that I rock out some 35c cross tires and flat bars. Mine has gears though because I use it to tow the kiddos around. A bit heavy but a nice riding frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    Cableb!tch: living, breathing proof you can be right and.still be a dick.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by veloreality
    how bent are the rails on the saddle?

looks like a fun ride!
    Bent upward enough that I have to raise the post a bit higher than normal to get my saddle height correct. Funny because I never really thought about the fact that they were bent until you mentioned it.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I rode it yesterday through some hilly neighborhoods and on some singletrack. Fun ride, but broke a spoke. Luckily already had a replacement back home. I'm thinking about building up another SS CX bike this winter after I sell my geared roadie. The Univega will do the job until then. Also put another chain on it today that wasn't mixed and matched with different links(still not new though ).

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Nice!

I just recently converted my 1988 Miyata 712 to SS and it's been a blast. When pedaling, the bike is dead silent.

Question for everyone. Do they make caps/covers for the knobs where the gear shifts used to be? I did some google searching and came up with nothing. TIA

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by AudBall
    Nice!

I just recently converted my 1988 Miyata 712 to SS and it's been a blast. When pedaling, the bike is dead silent.

Question for everyone. Do they make caps/covers for the knobs where the gear shifts used to be? I did some google searching and came up with nothing. TIA
    a couple of wraps of electrical tape does the trick nicely. use two separate pieces and it looks like a simple black stripe from >1 foot away.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I just converted a 70's Panasonic DX4000. it is a lugged steel frame with a threaded headset. running a 52:20 because those are the parts I had. Just the large chain ring with some bmx crank bolt and a 20t bmx freewheel. I think 42:16 would look nicer on it. Great smooth quiet ride. might use it for commuting without cargo. I happened to have some shimano 105 brakes for it too.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Nice. You're more flexible than me.

Low Rep Count
    Quote Originally Posted by AudBall
    Nice!

You can either screw a mounting screw in the hole or even put on a cable stop cap like a roadbike would have if running STI or Ergo shifters. They are pretty cheap, made of plastic with a steel/aluminum screw. You can then just remove the adjust bolt/cable stop and it will smooth out the look a little better.

Now days road frames come with little cable stop tabs somewhere either on the head tube or the top of the downtube just as an fyi for you but when brakelever/shifter first came out all of the frames still have the shifter bosses on them so the companies made these little bolt on cable stops if you will around the 93-94 time frame I believe.

Members who have read this thread: 0