old 6 speed to SS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

old 6 speed to SS

I recently received a road bike that was built in the 70's or 80's. The rear wheel is bent beyond repair, so out it goes. I can't use the bike for touring - the chainstays are too short for panniers. I debate, and then decide "Hey, why not join the lunatic SS faction?"

I had a quick read through the FAQ, but the semi horizontal drop outs from this style of bike are not mentioned (or I missed it somehow). Is it a pretty straightforward operation to install a wheel set up for SS, or do I still need a chain tensioner? How cheap can I do this? I already have... enough bikes, so I don't want to go crazy on the expenditures on this one.

Thanks for your time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedreamer
    I recently received a road bike that was built in the 70's or 80's. The rear wheel is bent beyond repair, so out it goes. I can't use the bike for touring - the chainstays are too short for panniers. I debate, and then decide "Hey, why not join the lunatic SS faction?"

I had a quick read through the FAQ, but the semi horizontal drop outs from this style of bike are not mentioned (or I missed it somehow). Is it a pretty straightforward operation to install a wheel set up for SS, or do I still need a chain tensioner? How cheap can I do this? I already have... enough bikes, so I don't want to go crazy on the expenditures on this one.

Thanks for your time.
    Short answer is Yes straightforward and No to a tensioner
    Sheldon is always a good starting point

This is Sheldon on building a fixie but still helpful for a SS here

How cheap depends on how much you can do yourself and how ghetto you want to go.
    Last edited by mitzikatzi; 06-13-2010 at 09:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks, mitzikatzi.

I can do all or damned close to all of the work myself. I was mainly wondering how much I would spend on the wheel / cog combo. I know I can get an alloy rim wheel with a freehub (for a 7 speed cassette) for around $50 - $60. While not the toughest wheel going, it does the job. Mainly, i think I would be using the bike for general fun rides, along with commuting to work.

Members who have read this thread: 0