Okay, so I have a problem....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Okay, so I have a problem....

For the past six months or so, I have been silenting researching and plotting to build up an extremely light rigid singlespeed. I have purchased all the parts: CK wheels, carbon bar/seatpost, spicer ti fork, etc. Then, a few weeks ago on eBay I found a single speed GT frame. It is 853 reynolds and geometry has been tweeked for single speeding. Namely, it has insanely short chainstays, a high bottom bracket, and steeper head angle. It weighs in a bit over 4lbs so I thought this was the perfect crowning touch for my new lightweight SS.

Well, now enters this 2000 Klein Attitude Race. I purchased it for a parts bike for my wife. I decided to take it for a quick spin before I took it apart just to see what it felt like. I was amazed. It fit like a glove. I was immediately zipping around the block with a smile plastered across my face. I can't even describe it. It just felt...right. In a parking lot by my house I could confidently make sharp snap turns with complete confidence, hope over curbs with ease, etc.. Well, you get the point. I can't stop thinking about this frame. My rigid ti fork is the same length as the fork on there right now so I keep thining about how I can use it for my light singlespeed. By comparison, I strongly dislike the feel of the GT frame because of the high bottom bracket. I know it will keep my pedals out of the rocks, but I feel tippy and uncomfortable on bikes with high bottom brackets. That's one of the reasons originally I stopped riding full suspension bikes.

What do I do? Will I get used to the high bottom bracket of the GT? I assume the Reynolds 853 steel will be smoother on the trails.....but on the other hand I just can't seem to get the handling of that Klein out of my head. Unfortunately, going with the Klein would involve trying to work around verticle dropouts. That and it is a blue faded into purple paint job which I'm not 100% sure about yet.....but that handling.....
    Last edited by Cephalopod; 11-11-2004 at 07:13 AM. Reason: to correct some spelling errors....

I am the owl
    Ride what feels right and don't worry about the paint.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

at least i admit it
    If the Klein feels right, and you have all the parts to build it up - then just do it. There is no reason to settle for the GT. Your comfort is what matters in a bike, and if you are jumping over curbs with no problems, then what makes you think that you will be kicking your pedals into the rocks on a trail.

You will be able to tweak the chain length in the vertical droupouts with a halflink if need be, but you should check it out. Depending on your gear ratio, the length may also just work out.

As for the paint job - I have always like bikes that don't really look right. Especially on a single speed or a bike that obviously has been build up. There is a certain amount of finesse to pulling it off, but I think that in the end it would be a really unique and nice touch.

Plus if all else fails - strip it and swap the parts to a different frame, sell it and get all new stuff. That is just what I would do...
    go outside and play

mtbr member
    Thanks for the quick responses and for telling me what I need to hear

As for the paint... its not that big of a deal. I'm not in a fashion contest here. Besides, its the odd stuff like that that tends to grow on me after a while.....

yeah, I think you guys are right. Fit trumps all. It is funny how it is easy when I say it to other people but when it actually comes to selecting my own bike it is somewhat more blury. Well I have the day off for the Holiday so maybe I'll try to swap some parts over and see how the chainlength thing works out. Even if chain length does work won't it stretch to the point of where it will be a problem?

kung food
    Quote Originally Posted by Cephalopod
    Thanks for the quick responses and for telling me what I need to hear

As for the paint... its not that big of a deal. I'm not in a fashion contest here. Besides, its the odd stuff like that that tends to grow on me after a while.....

yeah, I think you guys are right. Fit trumps all. It is funny how it is easy when I say it to other people but when it actually comes to selecting my own bike it is somewhat more blury. Well I have the day off for the Holiday so maybe I'll try to swap some parts over and see how the chainlength thing works out. Even if chain length does work won't it stretch to the point of where it will be a problem?

it's aluminum, just strip the paint and brush or polish the raw metal....the best argument for a non-steel frame in my mind.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Go with the Klein, you may be able to find a magic gear which fits without a tensioner, otherwise those Klein dropouts are generally pretty burly and could handle a little judicious filing.

Sam

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Just remember that if you run an aluminum hardtail... fat rear tires are your friend.

What the Crap?!

try the Discos

i have heard they allow you to run a slacker chain - so if it stretches or is a little slack you should be cool.

34N 118W

al --> steel

FWIW, I was riding an older Klein Attitude converted to SS (has slotted horiz. dropouts). This year I switched to a steel frame. Big difference in feel on the trail, IMO.

The Klein is stiff and climbs like a Hollywood starlet, but I can't get over how much smoother the ride is with the steel.

good luck!
    HW

mtbr member
    yeah, this is what I keep worrying about. I have a feeling if I keep it I'll spend the whole time i own it fighting against the fact that its a stiff ride. Of course, the other option is to ride it for a couple years, since I'm still young and can take a beating, and then when I'm older and have some money, I can have a frame builder copy the geo to something a little more comfy.....hmmmm......

SpecialSSauce - what are the Discos? Wow, I feel like such a newbie again....

Also, this might be a dumb question but like Hollywood said it has horizontal "dropouts" that are very very shallow. If there isn't a magic gear ratio, an ENO ecc. hub would still work right? It would kill me to not be able to use my king but I really would rather not go back to a tensioner.

Thanks for everyone's input!