OK so I have this bike...Tentative SS conversion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

OK so I have this bike...Tentative SS conversion

Hi all, first time poster, but lurking for a while.

I have this old MTB that i havent used for years but it is in great shape. Just took it to the lbs and they replaced chain, cables, etc, etc so its still a full MTB but I have been tinkering with the idea of converting it to single speed just to ride around and maybe pull a baby carriage with it (good resistance workout). Here are the specs. This bike is circa 1994 or 95 I was not used since 2001

I really dont want to spend much on the bike since I am already replacing seatpost,stem, handlebar

Giant Cadex CFM carbon lugged frame
    Rock Shox Quadra fork (maybe just put a road carbon fork in it)
    Most of gruppo is shimano XTR

What do I need to take out?
    what can i do without?
    What gearing would you leave back/front?
    is there a conversion kit you can just buy to avoid making a mistake?
    It has rapid fire shifters, do I replace them or just leave them non operational?
    Any good inexpensive road/cross carbon fork that will be worth putting in to save weight?
    Can you keep the same cassette and crankset just taking out rings?

Peace

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Here is a single speed conversion kit. Just take off the lock ring and the casette and replace it with this. There is the problem solved for the rear wheels. You can take off the shifters and sell them or use them on a project bike if you want to do that. I'd leave the middle ring up front and either get a new crankset with bashgaurd or buy some single speed bolts to convert the front chainrings into a single.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for your response. Do I need to get a new crankset or is there a conversion kit for the front like there is for the rear so I wouldnt make a mistake?
    I also saw a SS conversion from performance, any thoughts on that one?

Peace

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    There is a kit for the front. Here.

You have to take off the crankset and then take off all the rings and put them back together using these bolts. Its kind of a pain in the butt. Sometimes its easier to just go for a ss crankset such as this one.

Either way you go its going to be a bit of work.

You might also need a tensioner. It mounts to the dropout just like a deraileur.

Hope that helps a bit.

I havent seen the performance one but it should work fine as long as it has the spacers and cog.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    thanks a lot, now a have a better idea of what it will take. I might just get the parts and take it to the shop that way i make sure its install correctly.

Peace

Members who have read this thread: 0