OK Audiophiles - Computer Speakers Needed!- Mtbr.com
    newbie boobie.

OK Audiophiles - Computer Speakers Needed!

Through the mp3 player posts I realized there are some definite audio authorities in this forum, and now I seek your advice.

I would like to pick up a pair of the best speakers for my computer. Just a pair, with a sub - I suppose, for listening to music, etc. I'm running an Apple, but don't really know how there could be a compatibility issue.

I am looking to spend around $100, give or take $20. Which probably means give $20.

But, what brands should I look for?

Thanks.
    It ain't easy being human.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    bose are really nice!

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    Try some Altec Lansing--they built good analog gear thirty years ago, and I'm reasonably pleased with my computer speakers. Mac gear is better, though.

Bose pretty much sucks for most everything, or is at least hyped way beyond the quality of their product. I've built MDF-shoeboxes with $50 worth of drivers/crossovers that sound much better than my Bose.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

One gear to rule them all
    He said “bose”, now that’s funny. Seriously, do you think audiophiles listen to music on there computers? An audiophile would send over $120 on just one speaker cable.
    Anyway, I have some Altec Lansing speakers that cost around $100 for my computer. They sound like crap, but it’s just my computer. They are probably as good as any. I have not heard a computer speaker that I have liked, yet.

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    Quote Originally Posted by 32seventeen
    He said “bose”, now that’s funny. Seriously, do you think audiophiles listen to music on there computers? I have not heard a computer speaker that I have liked, yet.
    Me neither, and I couldn't figure out how to squeeze that out in my post! What's your setup? I've a 30-yr old Luxman amp, Rega II turntable (glass, baby!), and my own speakers--solid aspen cabinets joined without hardware, laden with Focal units and my own [two-way] crossovers.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

FUD
    ®
    Jan 2004

what kind of mac?

if your mac supports it, the iSub is a good sub for the $ in my experience. I had one with my old imac and some HK speakers. it bumped. I think you can get the isub for about $50, find some sattelites that work with it and your in for less or around your $ number. theres some compatibilty issue though, so make sure it works with your mac and the sats work with the isub.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

try nht or gallos

nht superzero's are great little speaker that you could find used for about $150 a pair
    most people who have them know how good they sound-they have a smooth mid-range with clean highs, not bright
    they lack bass but most pair them with a sub

gallos have these nice little speakers that look like oranges and the sub looks like a bowling ball
    I have seen them at good guys, but haven't listened to them in quite some time, but I felt they were as good or equal to my superzero's

asthetically they are both cool
    the nht superzeros can be had with a mirror black finish
    the gallos come in all sorts of colors an has a very modern look

hope that gives you some leads

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by donkekus
    Through the mp3 player posts I realized there are some definite audio authorities in this forum, and now I seek your advice.

I would like to pick up a pair of the best speakers for my computer. Just a pair, with a sub - I suppose, for listening to music, etc. I'm running an Apple, but don't really know how there could be a compatibility issue.

I am looking to spend around $100, give or take $20. Which probably means give $20.

But, what brands should I look for?

Thanks.
    I have the ATP3 3 pc Altec Lansing setup. They sound quite good. Computers4sure.com for about $70 shipped. I've listened to some that costs more, but actually sound pretty weak. Just my 2 cents.

ballbuster

Did he say 'Blows'?

Quote Originally Posted by oneill77
    bose are really nice!
    'cause Bose is the biggest joke in the industry. I suppose their computer speakers may be okay. I dunno, try them out.

I used to work for a shop that sold Bose. They would not let us put their speakers in the same room as the competition for fear that a customer may actually compare them. We did anyway, and they were OMFG bad.

We used to say two things about Bose:

No highs, no lows, must be Bose

Better sound through marketing

The only time you will see the words 'audiophile' and 'Bose' in the same sentence is when there is 'hates' in between.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 03-18-2004 at 11:19 PM.

ballbuster

Ooooh, Focal...

... is really sweet sounding stuff. I really dig them.

Vifa makes sweet drivers as well. Nice and buttery sounding. I worked in a place that had a Snell THX room, and it was dynamite for theatre and audio. Nice detail.

I got a set of passive Event Electronics 20/20s with an old cruddy Kenwood integrated amp on my Dual G4 with Mo Cables. A bit harsh, but totally bumps with good detail. I use my computer for music production, totally not what the poster is doing, but a killer rig for around $400.

get down!
    I have the Boston Acoustics pair with a sub and why I'm not in the audiophile club, they sound good and were like 50 bucks for the whole set.

Boston makes good stuff
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

Let me ask my wife

Check the Altec Lansing's

I have the Altec Lansing ATP3 3 pcsetup also. They sound very good for a computer setup. Picked them up at Staples for $59.99 - $30 rebate. They are a score for $29.99 and if you can find a $15 coupon, like I did, they cost $15. Worth a look.
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike.” John F. Kennedy

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by HoSS
    I have the Altec Lansing ATP3 3 pcsetup also. They sound very good for a computer setup. Picked them up at Staples for $59.99 - $30 rebate. They are a score for $29.99 and if you can find a $15 coupon, like I did, they cost $15. Worth a look.
    Quite the bargain. Listening to mine right now. Maybe I'll get another pair for my wife. Cheers.