Oh what a feeling!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Oh what a feeling!

Oh what feeling it is to be KOM of a flowy downhillish single track segment on Strava when you are the only single speeder (and fully rigid on top of that) to ride it!!!! Especially when some of your friends are sponsored and ride for a local shop!!!

I'm going to enjoy this while it lasts because I'm sure they will be out to take it back in the matter of hours...

one chain loop
    do you ever get itchy arms after a long downhill run on rigid bike?
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    Kick ass. Don't let them catch you. You'll ruin it for all us rigid SSer's.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Glad your fast and stuff. But just so you know, Strava is killing the spirit of mountain biking. Sorry to rain on your parade.

mtbr member
    Sorry you feel that way.

Either way, whether I'm simply enjoying the ride or pushing myself hard, I am having a blast! And even more so on my SS!

Ovaries on the Outside
    What the **** is strava? This **** better be interesting.

I'm slow on my rigid ss, but I brag anyway.

WillWorkForTrail
    My only gripe with Strava is people not yielding the trail like they should when they're trying for KOM. I was going up a hill the other day right at the edge of dark and two kids were coming down the hill, one yelled "strava" (which I know people do, but it's the first time I've heard it) so I yelled back up hill traffic. A daring game of chicken ensued that ended when they figured out I wasn't stopping. They both attempted to yield the trail at the last possible second - on the down hill side of the trail. Both tumbled off the side of the hill. I stopped to make sure neither of them was hurt, lectured them both about trail etiquette, and rode off.

That said, I'm glad you pulled off a KOM for a down hill on a rigid single speed. I just hope you did it (and continue to do it) courteously.

mtbr member
    It is hilarious that you have a KOM going downhill, if you actually know what KOM means.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Apparently I don't know what KOM actually means. I thought KOM was the segment leader, or fastest one to ride a particular segment. I'll have to google this one and see what I come up with.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Safety and courtesy first in my book! I'm out riding for health reasons (see my sig) not to knock off KOMs. If I happen to get one, all the better!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fishrising View Post
    Safety and courtesy first in my book! I'm out riding for health reasons (see my sig) not to knock off KOMs. If I happen to get one, all the better!
    I agree. Have fun. Seek adventure and get lost sometimes. Strava takes a bunch of the adventure type spirit out of riding. It's great that you got a King of the Mountain (KOM).

mtbr member
    So if KOMs are for segments of increasing elevation, why does Strava give KOMs for segments of decreasing elevation?

Sorry for the ignorance on Strava, didn't realize people were putting it in the same category as "guns kill people" and "forks make people fat."

Lesson learned...no more sharing of joy and felt accomplishment with strangers on the web...and for the record I did not go out to get a KOM, it just happened, which is even a better feeling to me...

WillWorkForTrail
    Don't get me wrong - I'm not against people using Strava. I am against people using it stupidly. Happy trails

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    What the **** is strava? This **** better be interesting.

I'm slow on my rigid ss, but I brag anyway.
    HEY you gonna ride MRT this sunday? Thats about the farthest I am reaching into the strange place known as Oregon this year.

surly inbred
    Yeah. All that cock measurin' in Strava'ville is ghey. Glad that **** never happens here.

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Don't get me wrong - I'm not against people using Strava. I am against people using it stupidly. Happy trails
    "I don't often type responses to threads on the interwebs but when I do, I try to sound as judgmental, condescending and fatherly as I can. Stay superior my friends."

It's not like a kid got bunny hopped or something.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

A Gentleman and a MTBR'
    Mar 2007
    Does anyone else use Strava just to track their rides? I *might hope for a PR or KOM or good rank on a segment if I'm having a great ride, but in the end I just like to look at my mileage and map my ride. Strava definitely is not an impetus for riding.

A Gentleman and a MTBR'
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum View Post
    Yeah. All that cock measurin' in Strava'ville is ghey. Glad that **** never happens here.
    ..hilarious.

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    Congratulations on the KOM considering you don't sound like one of those reckless nutjobs that disregards own and others safety in order to score some virtual glory.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrenseren View Post
    Congratulations on the KOM considering you don't sound like one of those reckless nutjobs that disregards own and others safety in order to score some virtual glory.
    Thanks! And nope, not one of them...

Awesome and congrats on the KOM. Good job accidentally getting it too. That's hilarious. I wasn't aware that Florida had any elevation change worth giving KOM for though. I might have to make a trip to see this…
    Last edited by monzie; 10-14-2012 at 05:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek View Post
    do you ever get itchy arms after a long downhill run on rigid bike?
    No one seems to understand when I ask if riding rigid gives you "itchy" arms from the extreme vibrations that can occur during riding on very rocky or bumpy areas... That was my only concern riding rigid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbman View Post
    No one seems to understand when I ask if riding rigid gives you "itchy" arms from the extreme vibrations that can occur during riding on very rocky or bumpy areas... That was my only concern riding rigid.
    Nope, no "itchy" arms here. And here in my neck of the woods, we have very rooty and rocky trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    Awesome and congrats on the KOM. Good job accidentally getting it too. That's hilarious. I wasn't aware that Florida had any elevation change worth giving KOM for though. I might have to make a trip to see this…
    Thanks! But Florida? I've never ridden in Florida.

^^My bust, I thought Florida was mentioned, it was not. I should really drink more. Carry on CT, carry on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    26er 4 life

Members who have read this thread: 0