mtbr member

"Oh, geez, you're on a single speed!"

"I don't know how you guys do it."

"My God, you don't have any suspension."

"Wow, way to go man, that's crazy."

Those are a few of the things I heard said yesterday at a race as we single speeders picked our way through the other riders on the course. It struck me as increasingly funny, and I wanted to say back: "Yeah, actually, it's not that big a deal, if you got over the misimpression that you need to shift, that would force you to go a little harder than you think you can, and, of course, we wouldn't be out here on freakin' singlespeeds if we didn't know we could roll pretty fast on them, and it's only a race, relax, and, truth be told, singlespeeding is strangely, virtually inexplicably fun, you should try it, it's really cheap to get into. Etc."

But I was suffering too much, so I didn't much say anything. Sure, I beat some gearies, but also got beaten by some. Mostly, I was just pleased to be out there competing.
    Last edited by cruzmissle; 05-23-2005 at 09:04 AM. Reason: typo

Wandering not Lost

here here......my brother

as I raise a beer to you for as we TEXANS say " throwing your Hat into the RING" .....so many times I have encouraged others to enter a race only to hear all the excuses as to why they cannot.....

I recieved many of the same statements doing long distance races on a SS....and like you I would love to retort but usually I just smile ...and move on....

sometimes you just have to line up and let it go.....A beer drank to the glory of suffering ...

mtbr member

this is...

this is what I think of those who don't ride SS: https://thenelsonbrothers.com/bestofcd.JPG

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    In a race yesterday I was bogged down behind a string of riders on a singletrack climb. The 2-3 gearies at the front were spinning twice as fast as me and the SSer in front of me.
    When they shifted to a lowergear yet(!) I yelled "Hey! it's NOT that steep!"
    No reaction - until they stalled out and we SSers rode past on the "bad" line. Then there were a few comments about not staying on the trail.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

That's my name
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    this is what I think of those who don't ride SS: https://thenelsonbrothers.com/bestofcd.JPG

Hehe, go the Nelson brothers!!
    We 9 speed riders look to them for our inspiration and motivation! Each time i ride i think to myself 'Now how would the Nelson Brothers tackle this section?'
    If only i had their skill, hair, perfect skin and singing talent!!!

Always makes me wonder why so many SSers have such a superiority complex.
    You make your choice and others make theirs, it's pretty simple.
    I also realise that it may be a comment made in jest, but still.

BTW i have two singlespeed bikes (both are bmxs) and i am planning to buy a SS29er.

mtbr member

SS worlds

Quote Originally Posted by mr plow
    Hehe, go the Nelson brothers!!
    We 9 speed riders look to them for our inspiration and motivation! Each time i ride i think to myself 'Now how would the Nelson Brothers tackle this section?'
    If only i had their skill, hair, perfect skin and singing talent!!!

Always makes me wonder why so many SSers have such a superiority complex.
    You make your choice and others make theirs, it's pretty simple.
    I also realise that it may be a comment made in jest, but still.

BTW i have two singlespeed bikes (both are bmxs) and i am planning to buy a SS29er.
    Don't forget the hair...
    SS is just more efficient for some of us.

That's my name
    SS is just more efficient for some of us.

And some prefer gears.

Me, i don't really care.
    I just get annoyed at the attitude.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    On Saturday, I went riding with another MTBR member, SuperBri. I showed up at his house with my rigid singlespeed, and he went, "Oooh boy, singlespeed. Rigid, too!" I told him it's no big deal and that I was prepared to suffer the big hill we were about to tackle. SuperBri was sporting a decked out in a burly Ellsworth Id. It was like two opposites going in the same direction!

Anyway, halfway up the big climb, we both pause to catch our breaths as well as avert massive coronaries. SuperBri looked at me and grinned, "Oh good, I'm glad you feel tired, too. When I saw you show up with the singlespeed, I though, 'He's gonna blow by my on the climbs!'" I was only too happy to disappoint him. I wasn't out to race anyone, I wasn't out to show anyone up. Too much pressure for all that. Instead, SuperBri and I equally enjoyed a ride on the very same trail using two bikes that were about as far apart as possible.

Next time out, I'm gonna suggest we switch bikes!

mtbr member
    Just to be clear, I didn't intend my original post as at attempt to slag on gearies. Apologies if it came off that way. Instead, I wanted to convey some of the amusement of the things that are said when you're riding a singlespeed. Nowadays, when people go by me in a race, I don't think about their bike, but I think what is probably simply true: They are fitter/better bike handlers/having a better day/peaking at a different time in the season than I am. So it goes, and we're all just having a good time, right?

And I'm sure that Ernesto was just having a laugh between us on the one-speeed forum. What pisses me off is that now I've got that song, "After the rain/washes away the tears..." stuck in my head.

Probably drunk right now

Perception vs. Reality...

And some prefer gears.

Me, i don't really care.
    I get annoyed by people who get annoyed becasue they perceive an attitude when there really isn't one. So where does that leave us?

Ride what you like, like what you ride.

The OP wasn't slagging on people riding on geared bikes and Ernesto is Mexican and you know what that means.

Ken

mtbr member

It means

Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    I get annoyed by people who get annoyed becasue they perceive an attitude when there really isn't one. So where does that leave us?

Ride what you like, like what you ride.

The OP wasn't slagging on people riding on geared bikes and Ernesto is Mexican and you know what that means.

Ken
    It means that I kick ass.

the cool nerd
    I think that if you rode with many of the people here that display the SS attitude, you'd find that the attitude is really just having fun on the net. Out on the trails, most people don't really care what you ride, so long as you ride. The only thing a sser really asks (other than beer during/after the ride) is that geared riders understand that we have special needs (momentum, and room to climb at our own pace), but this is no different than what occurs during a normal ride with all geared riders; the strongest climbers move to the front for climbs, the most technically proficient move to the front for the rock/root gardens, and the skilled descenders move up to move down.

my $0.03

scott

Probably drunk right now

Exactly!

It means that I kick ass.

That's exactly what I was thinking. That and you're a big fan of ENO's.

Ken

Yes, the general "singlespeed attitude" is ride what you want but mostly, just ride.

We see too many riders that get caught up in the equipment and that the technology is "necessary" to ride.

Tim from Bend related an encounter on the trails:
    He ran across two guys on Phil's Trail heading up to a lava rock climb and descent. They noticed he was on a rigid SS and warned him you needed full suspension to ride the section coming up.

Tim assured them he had ridden it many times and would be OK.

They insisted it was not possible to ride the rocks without suspension, that is why they rode the bikes they have. Tim said nothing.

The ride continued, Tim in front. Bouncey Boys following. At the rocks Tim cleaned the rocks, as usual. He then stopped to watch the B Boys - as they walked down the same rocks with their full suspension bikes.

Tim rode on in silence. He did not razz them about walking. They were out on the trails and that was great. But if there was an "attitude" it came from them, not Tim.
    mtbtires.com

Nope got nothing
    OH Thats harsh!!

That's my name
    Well i have to say that i thought i might get slammed here, however it looks as if there are lots of cool people around!!
    Apologies if i offended anyone, i probably should have reset my humour switch last night!!!

I too am of the opinion that you ride what you ride.

Plus i am getting sick of my disfunctional derailleur, so i may be a full time SSer before too long anyway!
    Cheers.
    Last edited by mr plow; 05-24-2005 at 12:37 AM. Reason: nitpickity proofreading!!

ito
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You only need to look around the forum and realize that SSers can be just as big techno-weenies and gear-philes as the 9 speed bunch. Boone Ti cogs and rings, king parts, hope brakes, ENO hubs and crank, super light weight stuff, etc. I find it funny that our quest for simplicity leads us back to the expensive high end new technology stuff. I also get a kick looking at all the hot bike parts that I can't afford.

If anything the SSer crowd is pretty laid back and always pretty fun. I like to think that it is the fact that they don't have to worry about shifting so they have more room in their minds to be friendly. Really though we are no more fun than the rest of the cyclists out there, and we have our surly, grouchy folks, but hey, who cares?

The comments don't really mean anything, they are fun to get, if anything they are a nice conversation started at the trail head or at the finish line.

Chances are if someone is giving you attitude they aren't worth your time. Drop them or let them drop you and ride for yourself, it is more enjoyable.

The Ito

...my disfunctional derailleur...
    Arn't they all? You have seen The Light!
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ito
    ...You only need to look around the forum and realize that SSers can be just as big techno-weenies and gear-philes as the 9 speed bunch. Boone Ti cogs and rings, king parts, hope brakes, ENO hubs and crank, super light weight stuff, etc. I find it funny that our quest for simplicity leads us back to the expensive high end new technology stuff...
    The Ito
    Nah, you've got it wrong.

When SSers put these bits on their bikes, it's essential leading edge technology. It's only bling when the gearies option up their bikes
    "The man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest" Henry David Thoreau (obviously a single speeder)

"...everytime you throw something away your load gets lighter..."