Ron
    mtbr member

oh five monocog = an improved ss

improvements = disc hubs!!! nice paint and more rear wheel clearance!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

nice...

I like the paint job and the addition of disc hubs (probably the only budget 110 disc hubs out there). I may have to pick one up for a loaner bike. Does anyone know much about the RPM cranks and the msrp of this bike?

I predict it will be a huge seller, steel, cheap, disc compatible, cheap package...

Ron
    mtbr member
    the monocog is usually sold in shops for around 450 to 500 dollars

mtbr member
    May 2004

05 Flight Nice Also

Just picked up my Monocog Flight. Nice Ritchey Comp Rizer Bar and Seatpost with Ritchey Pro Stem along with the FSA crankset. Swapped platform pedals for Old School Time Atacs and stock seat with vintage Pave saddle. Both stock seat and pedals on ebay for sale if anyone wants em.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

... and if we just ... I picked up a 04 aluminum frame for $150 web cyclery

I picked up a 04 flight frame to replace my 4 year old monocog, wanted the smaller 17" size for stand over and I wanted to run discs. For all your information, any bmx flip flop hub can be converted to a disc hub with a atom lab or DMR adapter which screws onto the unused side of the hub.
    I hope the weather clears up this weekend so I can try to finish my custom two tone paint job. Just got the thomson post and avid disc in for the build up

hands up who wants to die
    the 04 models have disc hubs as well. I have one.

-r

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I LOVE mine...

...though I will say that the paint isn't all that durable. One completely unspectacular, very cushy wreck and my seat stay is a mess. But hey, whatever. It really is the most fun I've had on any bike in a long time.

Matt

ballbuster

so why are they...

.... sticking to 110mm rear end? Is that more a BMX thing? Do they do it so that they can get a narrower Q factor on the cranks?

Neat bike. I've been eyeing this or an IRO for a while now. My only worry is the odd rear spacing. I can't swap wheelsets easily with other parts in my shop.

Its only 1" on the map!
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    .... sticking to 110mm rear end? Is that more a BMX thing? Do they do it so that they can get a narrower Q factor on the cranks?

Neat bike. I've been eyeing this or an IRO for a while now. My only worry is the odd rear spacing. I can't swap wheelsets easily with other parts in my shop.
    I was thinking since they are mainly a BMX company, maybe they are sticking with a streamlined manufactoring/supply process they already have in place.

Florida Trail Monkey

Nice Monocog!

I really love mine too.

I'm not sure if that was a serious questions, but the Cogs definitely don't come with an especially narrow Q factor. If Redline wanted to, the could reduce it by at least 20mm.

-r

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I like the 2005 painjob, but still love my upgraded 2003 the best

Your photo is making me seasick. what is that, a 1000mm wide bar?

-r

drinker
    Jan 2004
    what year do i have then? i've got the disc compatible hubs, different paint and redline branded bars/stem............different tires too, though still kenda. did they make like a 2004.5?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rpet

-r
    HA HA!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I've got an '03 (I figure...though I did buy it on '04) MonoCog that I really like. The only disappointments have been the stock hubs (absolute shite, cones kept loosening...don't know if they were backing out or if the axle was stretching), the stock bottom bracket (plastic threaded "cups" ) and the lack of tire clearance at the chain-stays...

...other than that, I was happy paying $400 for a single-speed instead of $400 for a bottom-tier Shimano MTB. Upgraded the wheels with a set of DX BMX hubs and I'll eventually ditch the square-taper BB and stock cranks.

I certainly hope these new hubs are marginally better than what my MonoCog came with

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rpet

-r
    Sorry, I don't have a digital camera; it was taken with a disposable and put on a CD at Wal Mart.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasSingleSpeed
    I've got an '03 (I figure...though I did buy it on '04) MonoCog that I really like. The only disappointments have been the stock hubs (absolute shite, cones kept loosening...don't know if they were backing out or if the axle was stretching), the stock bottom bracket (plastic threaded "cups" ) and the lack of tire clearance at the chain-stays...

...other than that, I was happy paying $400 for a single-speed instead of $400 for a bottom-tier Shimano MTB. Upgraded the wheels with a set of DX BMX hubs and I'll eventually ditch the square-taper BB and stock cranks.

I certainly hope these new hubs are marginally better than what my MonoCog came with
    Mine is a 2003 also, and my only complaint was exactly what you were experiencing, loose rear wheel. I had it in to the shop around 2 weeks ago and they used Loc Tite and it seems to be fine now, but I plan on investing in a new wheelset and then the entire bike will be upgraded.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Rpm

RPM = FSA alloy cranks. RPM is a sister brand of FSA aimed exclusively at the OEM market, thus the spec on the Redline. If you look in the other pics there is a bike with a Full Speed Ahead Alpha Drive crank... the RPM is extremely similar. A little bit beefed up but the same lines and shaping. Cool looking (IMO) and not heavy. The crank and BB are ISIS drive. The BB is an inexpensive PowerPro... kind of a boat anchor, but you have to remember the MSRP of $550 or whatever for this bike.

Wife had a Flite Monocog and loved it until it got ripped off... it weighed around 20.5 pounds with lighter bar, stem, bb and saddle. Still less than $250 spent on upgrades.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by dompedro3
    I like the paint job and the addition of disc hubs (probably the only budget 110 disc hubs out there). I may have to pick one up for a loaner bike. Does anyone know much about the RPM cranks and the msrp of this bike?

I predict it will be a huge seller, steel, cheap, disc compatible, cheap package...