Offset - Using spacers?- Mtbr.com
    Apr 2007

Offset - Using spacers?

I am building up a Monocog Flight. For the time being, I'd like to use the wheelset from my Monocog 29er until I decide on a decent set for the Flight. However, the spacing is off, where it's very close to rubbing on one side. I'm not too familiar with wheel spacing/offset--is this something that I can put spacers on to correct? The actual wheel fits fine into the dropouts. Just wanted it more centered.

Thanks for any help.

Bike Dork
    From a quick look at the pic it looks like the non drive side sliding drop out is further forward than the drive side. Measure from the center of your crank arm bolt to the center of the axle to double check. If not the wheel will need to be redished (loosen tension on one side and increase spoke tension on the opposite side to shift the rim)

Apr 2007
    Thanks. The dropouts are both the same. I even slid them all the way forward just to make sure. So is redishing the only option?

Bike Dork
    Since it looks like you will be using a disc brake, yes. Swapping around axle nuts and spacers to shift the hub towards the disc brake side will put the disc rotor too far over and will make it bid against the brake caliper body.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    If that wheel is centered in your other frame, something is wrong. Both frames have the same spacing, so there is no reason that the wheel should be shifted at all.

If you re-dish the wheel (asuming it was/is done correctly initially) then you are just making an incorrect wheel to match a mis-aligned frame.

You can flip the wheel to check the dish (if it is offset to the other side (WRT the frame), then it is a wheel problem...if it stays offset the same direction, then the frame is out of alignment or the dropouts are not equal. The dropouts would be my first guess...just because they are both slid forward, does not mean they are equidistance from the bb/aligned correctly.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by davep
    ...just because they are both slid forward, does not mean they are equidistance from the bb/aligned correctly.
    Right. Manufacturing tolerance. It's not that far off center anyway. Just center the wheel and tighten the slider bolts. Done.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Apr 2007
    Gosh d#[email protected]! you guys are good. Yeah, I just had to tap one side forward about 1/8" and it was good. Thanks for all the inputs!

Members who have read this thread: 0