Officially full time SSer- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Officially full time SSer

The winter is here and I have decided not to go geared for the snow and ice season. This will be my first winter fulltime SSing. My main bike is a Trek Stache that I have set up as a 29er+ SS. I have a 27.5+ wheelset that I was going to keep the cassette on and ride through the winter. Last night I tore that cassette off, tossed on a PS Zinger and mounted a Hodag 3.8 up front with a Ground Control 3.0 out back. I also ordered up a set of 29x2.8 studded tires to put on a spare wheelset I have (also SS).

In the past I’ve hesitated to go dedicated SS for the winter as the season is so unpredictable in New England. A few weekends ago we had 3” of fresh snow in the ground and my SS 29+ handled it fine in the singletrack so I converted. Excited to see how it works out.

Now I just need a SS fat bike!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SHowley2003 View Post
    The winter is here and I have decided not to go geared for the snow and ice season. This will be my first winter fulltime SSing. My main bike is a Trek Stache that I have set up as a 29er+ SS. I have a 27.5+ wheelset that I was going to keep the cassette on and ride through the winter. Last night I tore that cassette off, tossed on a PS Zinger and mounted a Hodag 3.8 up front with a Ground Control 3.0 out back. I also ordered up a set of 29x2.8 studded tires to put on a spare wheelset I have (also SS).

In the past I’ve hesitated to go dedicated SS for the winter as the season is so unpredictable in New England. A few weekends ago we had 3” of fresh snow in the ground and my SS 29+ handled it fine in the singletrack so I converted. Excited to see how it works out.

Now I just need a SS fat bike!
    You will love it! I went to 1x10 close to 2 years ago and last winter my derailleur and cables were freezing up and shifts were erratic and it was annoying as hell.

As far as elements go true story........ a couple years ago I was single tracking with a couple friends. The trails were sketchy from previous rains although not entirely muddy (just some spots). I was the only single speeder there. My buddy still think SS is stupid to this day but on that day when his bike wouldn’t shift right, as he was bitching and moaning about it I said “mines shifting fine” Not sure he liked that but I gave it to him anyways lol!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The problem with the winter single speeding is that you can not stand up and hammering the petals while the ground is frozen and slippery so steep climbing is not like normally

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by freezombi View Post
    The problem with the winter single speeding is that you can not stand up and hammering the petals while the ground is frozen and slippery so steep climbing is not like normally
    I was thinking that as well. Additionally, in the deep powder and/or sand, I have to run a lower gear to keep my cadence high to keep myself upright.
    Last edited by LuckyCharm4x4; 01-02-2018 at 10:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I’ve been a dedicated #1⚙️all the time single speed mountain biker for almost three years now. I don’t miss the gears just the my full bikes capabilities of plowing through rock gardens since my bikes are also full rigid
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

psycho cyclo addict
    I prefer SS more of the time and still ride gears here an there in all seasons (including snow and ice). I do a weekly fast-paced urban assault ride that requires gears most of the time.

Been thinking of trying a set of slip knots for better traction...
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】