Off-road Fixed? What Gear Ratio?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Off-road Fixed? What Gear Ratio?

I've ridden fixed gears off and on for years, but in the past I've mostly ridden them as around-town bikes. We'll this weekend I built up a fixed gear bike meant to be a gravel road/trail bike. I used a 42:18 (w/ 29" wheels) gearing largely because that's what I had around parts-wise. I took it out yesterday for a about an hour and half on hilly gravel roads and it seemed like a fairly usable gear, but I couldn't help but wonder if it might not be kinda stiff on the trails. . .

Hopefully, if the local trails dont' get soaked by an afternoon thunderstorm, I'll get this bike off-road after work today, but in the meantime--what gearing are any of you fixers running in the woods?

Just for comparison sake, on my freewheel single speed I'm using 33:18 (w/ a 29" wheel) most of the time. I find that to be ideal in the woods, but I feel a little undergeared on the pavement on the way to the trail.

I am the owl
    I've used 34x17 on my 26" 1x1 and 42x21 on my 700c crosscheck for singletrack. Fireroad stuff on the 700c I usually use 42x17.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Needed Less ~ Did More
    I run 36:17 on my 26" MC Ute. The trails can get pretty muddy (not this weekend though!) and I ride in some hilly areas too and don't like / can't be bothered changing sprockets all the time...

36:16 is great on flat twisty singletrack (Thetford, for those who know it) but a little tough in the Cotswolds!

Having said that I like to spin...fast and don't have massive legs so a lighter gear works for me.

Later

SSP
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

hidden persuasions

i use 32x17 on a fixed 29er...

for off road single track with some short steep power climbs that have nice approaches. if there is a switch back or tight corner just before the power climb though, i will usually end up walking the hill because all momentum is gone.

Cracker-magnon

hey thanks

for asking before I got the chance. Been lookin at my parts and wondering the same thing.
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

mtbr member
    I use about 0.5 to 1.5 gears higher than a regular SS for fixie off-road. Currently 36:17 on one, and 41:18 on another (which I find a bit too high).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

big butt=big gear

Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    I've used 34x17 on my 26" 1x1 and 42x21 on my 700c crosscheck for singletrack. Fireroad stuff on the 700c I usually use 42x17.
    In the rocks I chose to run a little taller gear (plus I sport a kinda large power plant(big butt))....36x20 on 29" wheels, mmmm pain mmmm

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

34/19 here, 46.5"

a taller gear would be good for the cruisy stuff, but my 34/19 is about the highest gear I can slog up the climbs to get to the good stuff.

Everybody's posting gear combos and ratios. How to compare them? the tried and true gear inch formula, which takes into account wheel diameter.

#front teeth divided by #cog teeth multiplied by wheel diameter = gear inches.

hidden persuasions

or go here...

Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    a taller gear would be good for the cruisy stuff, but my 34/19 is about the highest gear I can slog up the climbs to get to the good stuff.

Everybody's posting gear combos and ratios. How to compare them? the tried and true gear inch formula, which takes into account wheel diameter.

#front teeth divided by #cog teeth multiplied by wheel diameter = gear inches.

this site has the end all, be all of gear inch technology...

http://www.jbarrm.com/cycal/cycal.html

thanks to http://www.mtnittanywheelworks.com for the easy to follow linkage. i would have never found it otherwise.