Octane One Orbital Hub & D1 Cranks - Chainline- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Octane One Orbital Hub & D1 Cranks - Chainline

Hi guys,

I'm looking to convert my geared MTB to SS and hoping to use the Octane One Orbital hub and Octane One D1 cranks.

First of all, what is the method of chainline adjustment with a single speed freewheel hub? Is it only through BB spindle width? If so, how can I determine the width I need?

Many thanks for the help guys! Super excited about getting my bike ready for next year =)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'll take a guess - the hub is a design that puts the freewheel teeth at 50mm chainline, maybe 47.5mm. That way it matches up with the majority of chainsets used SS with the ring in the middle, ie at 50mm CL (47.5 is more common on the older octalink or square-taper).

I've used similar Taiwan-sourced rear hubs that take a screw-on freewheel (the Octane's a 14t freewheel for dirt jump or park MTB, should line up the same tho) and they line up within a mm or so, no faffing with CL needed. If the Octane's the same, it'll be easy.

edit to say, can you get the other sizes of freewheel you may need for this? 14T is a high gear unless you use a 26-28 up front.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. I've decided to drop the D1 cranks for a cheaper SRAM set because of availability issues, but the info should still all be relevant. SRAM offer some number which suggest a 113mm BB so I'll start with that and go up or down if necessary.

I'm starting off with a 32:14 because I ride around with a 2.2:1 ratio on my geared bike at the moment. If I need to go down on ratio, I'll just buy a 16T ACS freewheel to make a 2:1, but I don't like to sacrifice too much speed because I ride with geared mates.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I think the hub is a cassette-fitting freewheel rather than a screw-on, but as long as you can get the right 16t parts all's good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by james-o View Post
    I think the hub is a cassette-fitting freewheel rather than a screw-on, but as long as you can get the right 16t parts all's good.
    I don't think it's a cassette driver, which is what I think you are describing. The hub doesn't have the bulge by the drive side flange typical of a cassette driver hub.

Compare the Orbital hub shape to the Pro, which uses a driver: Octane One | ORBITAL PRO SS premium rear singlespeed hub with driver

I think it uses metric freewheels, which are basically an old BMX standard. Not the same as normal ACS freewheels. Or White Industry freewheels. In fact, almost no one uses them.

You can still buy them, but the biggest size seems to be 15t. Very limiting, really.

OP: if you are planning on riding trails with your geared buddies, I would buy a hub that lets you use a normal freewheel. You will probably need a lower gear than you think, unless you really like walking up a lot of climbs.

This hub will really limit your options. I would very much recommend you buy something else. Even a basic cassette hub like a Shimano XT. You can get them for around $50, and you can get small cogs if you want, but won't be limited when you need to get a bigger cog.

The slight difference in strength with the dished wheel will be meaningless compared to the advantage of actually being able to get reasonable gearing.