NYC 5 Boro Ride (x-post)- Mtbr.com
    Sofa King We Todd Did

NYC 5 Boro Ride (x-post)

http://www.bikenewyork.org/BNY-TOUR.htm

Anyone thinking of doing this? Yeah, it's not exactly offroad, but it might be fun anyway. I'm trying to get a bunch of my dopey friends to tag along for a reasonably leisurely ride (around 15mph or so).

I'd love to do this on my singlespeed. Slap some slicks on it I'm good to go. I cross-posted this from the New York board 'cause a) I'd like to ride this on my old-soon-to-be-new steel singlespeed, and b) I know that there are a few folks from the city who hang here more than they do the NY board.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    I did it in '02 and '03. I slapped a fixie wheel and some fat slicks and had a leisurely good time.

BTW, check out this funny Lucas Brunell video (5MB) which I think happened at a Bike New York. It takes a couple of seconds to realize what's going on. And it's a road bike!

Some buds, my wife and I were discussing do it this year again, but we're not sure yet.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    I am slotted to be at a music festival in Indio, CA, but if not I will definitely join in the fun. Throw some slicks on the Chameleon- sounds like a blast!

Cyclist

I'm there

I'm very excited to do this. My wife has friends in Long Island (Freeport) where I'll be staying. I don't know anyone up there at all, so I'll be cruising solo. Haven't figured out the logistics of getting to the start from Freeport and then home again, but not too worried.

I'm considering taking my CX bike (geared) and hadn't really thought of taking my SS until now.

Any advice on getting to the start from L.I.?
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Take your fixie, if you have one. It'll make it more interesting. If you ride at all, this ride is a cake walk since it's mostly flat. The hardest part of the ride is at the very end going over the Verazzano Narrows bridge, but a regular cyclist can do it with her eyes closed. Because so many people do the ride, it can get really crowded at some points (waiting to get on the bridges, bathroom lines), so much that you are standing in a massive line for 20 minutes or more.

I see it as a nice casual way to see the city and spend time on the bike with my wife, as well friends who only ride this one time of the year.

I can't help you to get to the start, but I'm sure you could figure something out with Google's maps.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Striker, look into getting into the city on the Long Island Railroad. When you get into Penn Station, you could either ride downtown to the start or save your energy and take the subway down.

pedalphile

I'll go again

I'd definitely like to do it again.

Two years ago I did it with some coworkers and had a lot of fun. Except for one thing: For some reason, I had a *ferocious* allergy (hay fever) attack that day. I sprinted the last ten miles just so I could get home and take a shower and flush out my eyes. Ugh.

Couple points of advice for anyone who hasn't done it:
    - Be patient. You will be doing a *lot* of waiting and walking, unless you arrive at the start at 6am with the Masi riders.
    - For the love of all that is sacred and holy, do NOT stop in the middle of the street. There are 30,000 riders behind you, 29,998 of whom are not paying attention.

But yeah, it's a blast! Every kind of person on every kind of bike imaginable, from hybrid commuter, to tall bike, to unobtanium racer, to megasquish freeride.
    now the world is gone i'm just o n e

Shreddin the Cul de Sac

A little advice from the locals?

Sounds like a blast!
    Considering doing this with my wife as a little weekend getaway adventure...

Head down there from Boston on Fri (fly, train, drive, whatever), spend the day in NYC on Saturday, do the ride on Sunday.

It looks like the Bike New York preferred hotel marriot might be booked up that weekend, but I haven't called yet. Any recommendations for other decent lodging nearby?

My wife is not really a rider. She goes to the gym regularly, so she's in decent shape. She just hasn't spent more than a couple hours in the saddle at a time. For this reason I was thinking of trying to rent a Tandem for the event. Drag her around. This will also save us the hassle of transporting our bikes down there. Any suggestions for shops or owners who might rent/beg/borrow/steal us one in the area?

Any other advice for out of towners travelling in for the event?

Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    http://www.bikenewyork.org/BNY-TOUR.htm

Anyone thinking of doing this? Yeah, it's not exactly offroad, but it might be fun anyway. I'm trying to get a bunch of my dopey friends to tag along for a reasonably leisurely ride (around 15mph or so).

I'd love to do this on my singlespeed. Slap some slicks on it I'm good to go. I cross-posted this from the New York board 'cause a) I'd like to ride this on my old-soon-to-be-new steel singlespeed, and b) I know that there are a few folks from the city who hang here more than they do the NY board.
    keep moving

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Sorry I'm not too helpful with lodging advice - when you live here, you kinda don't have to look this sorta stuff up. Maybe you can Expedia something, then tell us what hotels have offered you a good deal, we'll tell you if the hotel's decent or a shytehole

As for bike rentals, the organizers themselves have a link to affiliated bike shops that offer rentals: http://www.bikenewyork.org/ORG-bike-shops.htm. Might be a good idea to narrow it down once you know where you're staying so that you don't rent your bikes in one end of town, while you stay at the other end.

So far, I think I've been able to talk one of my dopey friends into doing this. This is going to a slow cruise, going by what I've been reading and what I've been told. My 15mph average was a tad ambitious, apparently.