Now I'm really confused..- Mtbr.com
    Super Moderator SuperModerator

Now I'm really confused..

I need a little help here please:

I've narrowed down my choices for a new frame to either the Superfly SS or Niner One9.

Currently I'm riding a Medium Monocog 29'er and I love the size and geometry, just not the weight

Yesterday I test rode a 17.5 Fisher (not the Superfly but all the frames have the same dimensions) and it felt TINY. I then rode a 19.5 and it felt better but a little too big.

As for the NIner, well it's not possible to test ride one. Nearest dealer I can visit is an 8 hour round trip but the bikes get great reviews and I would be happy to buy one without a test ride.

I crunched some numbers in Excel and the 17.5 Fisher and the Niner, bar standover have almost the same numbers as my exisitng Redline.

So why did the Fisher felt so small? It's also got me a little nervous about the Niner sizing, even though Im slap bang on the middle of the recommended size for an Med.

FTR: I'm 5'10", 150lbs, inseam of 32".

Spreadsheet attached as pdf.
    Attached Files Attached Files

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    stem length???.....bar sweep/rise???
    Click Here for Forum Rules

I don't think so, maybe it was the lower standover ??

mtbr member
    if you love the ride why not just use the $ on a set of high end light wheels ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Doesn't the Fisher come with a 12degree sweep handle bar? And what length stem do you have on the Redline vs the Superfly?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    stem length???.....bar sweep/rise???
    + One. I test rode the Superfly a few weeks back, and the bar that was on it had a lot of sweep. Could also be the seat post, straight vs set back. Also the saddle position might be more forward than your setup. Let us know what you decide. And post pictures.
    Dropbar SS Mamasita
    XTC Composite 29
    CruX
    Anthem X 29
    Unknown trials bike

mtbr member
    The Fisher does have a smaller stem. 90mm on the 17.5" versus 100mm on the 17" Monocog

WNC Native
    One more thing to think about. The Fisher's 69.9 HTA on the G2 geometry shortens the cockpit a little. I'm on a 08 19" Xcal and just sold an 08 19" Monocog frameset that I was using as my SS bike.
    If your comfy on the 17" MC, you'll be good on the 17" Fisher as well. It'll just take some messing around with handlebar position & seat position. The Fisher bar only has 12 degrees sweep (not much), but if your not use to sweep you could go with a longer stem. However, if your doing a frame build, you can run whatever bars & stem you want.

I also would say go with the same frame size if you go Niner, however I don't have any saddle time on one myself.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Quote Originally Posted by crankpuller
    if you love the ride why not just use the $ on a set of high end light wheels ?
    Because I'll never get it under 20lbs

I'm going back to the LBS tonight to try the Fishers again and see if I can switch the bars out.

My Redline has a 90mm stem and Marys..

WNC Native
    DB- for what it's worth, I have a 100mm stem (it was suppose to come with 105mm but didn't for some reason) with the Bontrager 12 degree sweep bar on the Fisher. I also have a CC Thudbuster ST which also kinda doubles as a setback post.
    I had a zero offset seat post on the Redline and 110mm stem with H-bars.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Members who have read this thread: 0