Now that I'm hooked, I have questions.- Mtbr.com
    LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!

Now that I'm hooked, I have questions.

First how much side to side play should the chain have while it's on the cog or chainwheel? I running a Surly 20t cog on the back and a Salsa 32t chainring on the front with a KMC Z410 chain. It seems like the chain is too wide for the cog and chainring because I can wiggle the chain side to side when it's on the teeth.

Second I was riding today and on a steep climb the chain skipped and made a pretty scary popping noise. Would that be a chainline issue? I'm thinking that I'll get a bunch of smaller spacers in order to get the chainline dialed in a bit more. Although it looks to be pretty close right now. Maybe a tension issue? I'm using a "push down" style tensioner with a roller and the chain seems to be tensioned pretty well.

Any input is appreciated.
    Robb
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    Canondale Synapse w/DuraAce goodness

PSYCHOLUST
    you are running a 1/8" chain , I can't speak to which Salsa you have , but the Surly is designed to run with a 3/32" chain, so you will have some play..... I don't know that it is an issue needing to be resolved or not.
    As for the SKIPPING, you need to run as short a chain as possible with a tensioner to maximize "chainwrap".... engaging as many cog teeth as you can..... a 20T cog helps that quite a bit, but you want to get as close as you can to your chain engaging half the teeth on the cog.... some tensioners with a double idler pully , like a deraileur has, do an excellent job

LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!
    Hmm. I might try a 3/32 chain since I have one laying around.

I'll have to mess with my tensioner too. I think the chain is pretty tight but the tensioner may have shifted around.
    Robb

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yeah, I just recently converted with the same gearing and the same skipping problem, switched the tensioner from push down to push up, fixed the problem.

LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!
    Which one are you using?
    Robb

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    A simple way to check chainline is to spin the cranks around and look to see what side the chain has ridden to. If it is on opposite sides of the cog vs. chainring there is a possible issue. If it is centered on one and offset on the other you're a little off but fine.

Ovaries on the Outside
    +1 with Schmucker. 1/8 is fine for the drivetrain and might help you figure out if the cog and chainring are properly aligned.

Tension is your big problem. Taking out a link or two might be a decent solution, but I'd need pictures to know...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm using the Surly Singleator.

Yo.
    Switch the Singleator to the push-up position. Better chain wrap may translate into less skipping issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!
    Thanks for the tips guys.
    I'll give the Singleator a try.
    Robb

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I used to run a tensioner when I was getting into the ss thing that would recoil every time I push the drivetrain hard. Since the tensioner is spring loaded, what you're experiencing is probably the same thing. You'll push hard, pulling the tensioner up slightly. Then when you relax and/or stall for a second, the tensioner will recoil. Used to happen all the time.

Best thing you can do at this point, like everyone else said, is to flip the chain so it's being pushed up, not down. Zip tying the tenioner to the frame outta do it (note: put a piece of tape around the frame so the tie doesn't rub it).

Members who have read this thread: 0