Novatec SS Disc vs. Surly New Disc, any preference?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Novatec SS Disc vs. Surly New Disc, any preference?

I'll be building up my own wheelset and I'm considering my hub options. Has anyone compared the Novatec Disc and Surly New disc hubs? Can anyone comment which is better? Overall, I could build a cheaper wheelset with the Novatec, but not sure if they are near the same quality or not.

Novatec $140 plus cheap cog (or use one I already have)
    Surly $140 plus $80 for Eno Freewheel

How is the engagement of the Novatec vs. the Eno? I've heard the Eno is quite good.

Thanks for any input!
    Last edited by zanq; 02-12-2005 at 02:06 PM.

mtbr member

I'd go surly

Quote Originally Posted by zanq
    I'll be building up my own wheelset and I'm considering my hub options. Has anyone compared the Novatec Disc and Surly New disc hubs? Can anyone comment which is better? Overall, I could build a cheaper wheelset with the Novatec, but not sure if they are near the same quality or not.

Thanks for any input!
    I'd go with the surly - it is burly but not overly heavy.
    The novatec has gotten good reviews but it is nearly 700 grams - a real pig.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

novatech

Cassette works. Easier gearing changes. Cheaper gears.
    The hub might be a little heavy, but who really cares?

YO MAMA

King Pin

Good job! Surly!

I'm a big old lad, and haven't been able to bust a Surly product....yet!

The Surly also gives you the option of going fixed. You know you want it!! Get a fixie/free....

I've three sets of Surly-hubbed wheels going strong....no muss/no fuss for me.

mtbr member

Iro

Check out IRO. I like the idea of cheap BMX cogs.

http://www.irocycle.com/fixedgearand...inc/id115.html
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

One gear to rule them all

Novatec

Quote Originally Posted by zanq

How is the engagement of the Novatec vs. the Eno? I've heard the Eno is quite good.

Thanks for any input!
    I vote for the Novatec/Woodman/On-one. I have had one for two years, and no problems. Super easy gear changes with $4 cogs, what's not to like?
    I have no issues with surly products, I own a few! but when the choice is F/W vs. Cassette....I will always chose Cassette.
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Have we already decided that the Nashbar singlespeed hub is the same exact thing as the Woodman/Novatec, et.al.? If you aren't going to support Brant from On-One (who originally designed it and everyone else copied) why not get it as cheap as possible? The Nashbar ones are $34.95!!!!! Couple it with the coupon code cr199 (before 2/21), and get 10% more off!!!!!!

This is pretty much a no-brainer.

BTW, I have one, and although a little heavy, it's nice to be able to change cogs easily. I bought it for ~$50, and I thought it was a spanking deal. $31.50 is friggin unbelievable. I don't really need another, but I may just get one to hang onto as a spare...
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 32seventeen
    I vote for the Novatec/Woodman/On-one. I have had one for two years, and no problems. Super easy gear changes with $4 cogs, what's not to like?
    I have no issues with surly products, I own a few! but when the choice is F/W vs. Cassette....I will always chose Cassette.
    What you said is the logic I'm following at the moment. Different gearing combos with the Surly will require different freewheels. Shimano are okay and the AC (I think) can be junk while the ENO is good. I'd rather not be spending my money on many (cheap) freewheels or few (expensive) freewheels. Just wasn't sure if any advantages of one vs. the other outweighed any price difference. $4 cogs or free cogs (from my box o' parts) is more my style, despite this build being a little spendy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    Have we already decided that the Nashbar singlespeed hub is the same exact thing as the Woodman/Novatec, et.al.? The Nashbar ones are $34.95!!!!! Couple it with the coupon code cr199 (before 2/21), and get 10% more off!!!!!!...
    I looked at that Nashbar one. I would be interested to know what the concensus was (will search). Does Nashbar have a matching front hub?