Nothing but SS???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Nothing but SS???

I am sure I know what most will say but, question is gonna be: why...what is the upside??

I have gotten into the mtn bike world just this past June. I have three bikes - two SS and a geared (1x9) Air 9. Thinking about selling the Niner and building another SS. I have SS in a rigid and a hardtail. Don't see myself on any kind of a full squish bike so, what's left??? Is it lame to have two rigid or two HT ss bikes?? I pretty much ride my local trail (three minutes outside my door) and SS is just perfect for this trail system!! Should I keep a geared bike?? I do, I would get the new Air 9 frame - the fact that my current Air 9 is last year's model is why I wanna sell it.

Some nice, loving SS thought please!!!
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

mtbr member
    Upside? As an SS rider you know the drill - less maintenance, etc. I only have a SS rigid and SS HT. I've geared the HT slightly easier for the longer higher country rides. So yeah- SS is all you need if that's what works for your trails and that's what you can handle. I don't miss my geared bikes. My last was a 1x9 but that was transitioning to all SS.

If I ever do another build, it's going to be a tricked out super light carbon SS. But I don't have the dough nor really strong desire right now.

Dive Bomber
    When get used to SS discipline it's kinda annoying to get the right ratio when you back to gears. In the end you'll just never shift and keep on the same ratio.

In my case I change to gears when I want to improve my stamina and breath - I use low ratio for high cadence low speed.
    What I thought gears is more convenient but in the end I just change bigger cog and put a tensioner and still SS because I love the silent of SS.

mtbr member
    I'd say keep the geared bike. If you're wanting to sell it because the frame is a year old it apparently isn't a matter of needing the cash. Why buy a new frame if you don't think you're going to ride it much? However situations like this seem to be cyclical. I had a full suspension geared bike and a SS for a while, sold the geared bike, built a couple of SS bikes, and am still riding only SS but I keep thinking how nice a 1x9 would be for super long rides/endurance racing. My next bike will probably have gears.

Plus, you may get bored with your local trail system since its so close and switching up bikes from time to time may help.

beautiful jackass
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Pancroft View Post
    I am sure I know what most will say but, question is gonna be: why...what is the upside??
    The upside is that you ride what you enjoy.

SS is just perfect for this trail system
    You seem to have figured this out on your own. If your trails don't justify gears, there's no sense in owning a geared bike. I used the same judgement when I sold my full suspension geared bike and bought a single speed 29er. I've never been happier on a bike and I can't imagine going back to a geared ride.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input!! When I asked about upside, what I meant was what would be the upside of having two SS HT or SS rigid.

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010
    I don't really see an upside to having two rigid or two HT SS bikes. You've already got two SS, soI don't think downtime prevention would be much of an issue either. I'd guess you would probably wind up riding one and ignoring the other. At least, that's what I'd do.

I keep my old geared bike around for two purposes. First and foremost, it is the loaner bike for when friends visit. I'm the only SS rider in my group and my friends are scared to try it, so I keep the geared HT around for them. The other reason is that I occasionally get bored on my local trails so taking out the geared bike is a change of pace. It isn't "necessary" for my trails, but it certainly keeps things fresh.
    It's not about being better than others, it's about getting the best out of myself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeFarmer View Post
    I don't really see an upside to having two rigid or two HT SS bikes. You've already got two SS, soI don't think downtime prevention would be much of an issue either. I'd guess you would probably wind up riding one and ignoring the other. At least, that's what I'd do.

I keep my old geared bike around for two purposes. First and foremost, it is the loaner bike for when friends visit. I'm the only SS rider in my group and my friends are scared to try it, so I keep the geared HT around for them. The other reason is that I occasionally get bored on my local trails so taking out the geared bike is a change of pace. It isn't "necessary" for my trails, but it certainly keeps things fresh.
    Perfect answer to my query!!! Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    If you're really looking to have two hardtails, might I suggest having one 26" SS wheeled HT and one 29" version? Unlike a large majority of people on this forum, I really prefer my SS 26" HT bike to any of the others because of how it handles and lets me play around on the trails. You might find the same. There is a rare, very rare even, occasion that I do wish I had a 29er for railing those really flat, boring trails.

mtbr member
    If it were me, I would go with one cheaper bomber built HT for winter, wet, muddy riding and something lighter, blingy and faster for dry conditions, racing, etc.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Get out of Houston and go to the Womble, Moab, Park City, etc. Gears aren't required, but they're nice when you're climbing for hours. Get to Austin for a weekend trip...trying to single speed the Hill of Life is an exercise in pain and frustration.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    If it were me, I would go with one cheaper bomber built HT for winter, wet, muddy riding and something lighter, blingy and faster for dry conditions, racing, etc.
    What are these foreign terms you write?

Riding rigid
    Mar 2007
    if your two SS rigid and HT are built around 80 to 100mm fork, maybe consider a long travel HT like the Kona Honzo or Canfield Yelli. Change up the handling and the terrain you can ride.

Maybe a monster cross? The 26er mentioned above is always another option, changes up the riding.

mtbr member
    I keep an SS and a 1x10. I use the 1x10 for the winter when the trails are often under snow and our MTB rides are primarily on dirt roads. Also at that point I am often riding dirt roads with geared riders. Come spring when things thaw, I run both as SS. Then I have my steel SS for training and abusing and my carbon SS for racing. Once we are off the roads and on the trails, it doesn't matter whether my group is SS or geared Previously I rode both geared and SS all season, but I found it too difficult to go back and forth. I would ride my geared FS like a singlespeed - standing and grinding. Depends on what works for you.

Rohloff
    Quote Originally Posted by BGillespie View Post
    Get out of Houston.
    This

mtbr member

With Love from the Northeast!!!

:

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Further consideration; sell bike save money. You just got into the hobby last June you stated. You're gonna stay breaking parts soon. And you're going to want to bling the replacements out. Trust me. That, or you'll get bored of your local trails and decide you want your geared bike for some more epic rides. So..

My conclusion; don't buy another bike. You don't need one.

PS: Have you considered having a high engagement rear hub? It's divine. ESPECIALLY on a single speed.

Apr 2007
    I'm in Utah and just converted my old HT gearie to SS. So now, I've got a 29er AM-ish SS, 26er XC SS, roadie fixed. I'd like to add a 29er SS/fixed rigid, SSCX, 26er AM SS, track, freestyle fixed, fat bike SS, carbon race HT, FS SS, and other yet to be produced SS's.

mtbr member
    i have never ridden trails on a bike with gears. I work all week tweaking other people's derailleurs, replacing chains, digging gunk out of cassettes, replacing drive-side spokes, tensioning and replacing derailleur cables... the last thing I want to do it futz around with my stuff when I can just take those few hours to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBaker View Post
    Further consideration; sell bike save money. You just got into the hobby last June you stated. You're gonna stay breaking parts soon. And you're going to want to bling the replacements out. Trust me. That, or you'll get bored of your local trails and decide you want your geared bike for some more epic rides. So..

My conclusion; don't buy another bike. You don't need one.

PS: Have you considered having a high engagement rear hub? It's divine. ESPECIALLY on a single speed.
    My SS bikes have King hubs. Are you thinking I should go with something else???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    If it were me, I would go with one cheaper bomber built HT for running down illegal aliens jumping the border, and something lighter, blingy and faster for dry conditions, racing, etc.
    Fixed it just for you
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Apr 2007
    I'm about to hand out my first ever neg rep on grounds of super lame post edits.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    this thread has pictures of roosters, shar pei dogs...and self absorbed genital gratification coursing across my brain...

it makes me want to do bad things....that i secretly want to do...

please don't make me do those things...

pretty please...
    Click Here for Forum Rules

one chain loop
    let's keep the posts SS related.

Heather Irmiger and her 2009 SSWC tat.

everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    So now, I've got a 29er AM-ish SS...
    Whoah, just like my signature!
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

Ovaries on the Outside
    Man, I get a warning and I can't even hyperlink the **** that boned me. ****ing ****....

mtbr member

Wooof!

Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek View Post
    let's keep the posts SS related.

Heather Irmiger and her 2009 SSWC tat.

I can see why she won. I couldn't find the strength to pass her either......
    Salsa Bucksaw
    Trek Farley
    Niner Jet9 RDO
    Niner Air9 Carbon SS
    Rockhopper Comp SL

mtbr member
    why is her butt hairy?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by djork View Post
    why is her butt hairy?
    Right!!?? Ewwwwww!!

Rohloff
    Right!!?? Ewwwwww!!
    testosterone

Members who have read this thread: 0