Not so endless...- Mtbr.com
    Making fat cool since '71

Not so endless...

So, I have an Endless Kick-Ass cog on my SS conversion and while changing wheelsets recently I noticed it's worn *greatly* in just a short bit of riding. A few teeth are tore the farq up. I'd like to say it's because my legs are so freakin' massively strong that I just tear the teeth off, but who would I be kidding?

Anyway, what are some good alternatives? King Cogs gotta be good, right? Surely Surly? Anyone...Bueler...Bewler...?

Me thinks: Steel is real.

Thanks a ton.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    I like shimano.... good hard steel.

In FTF We Trust
    I'm had pretty good luck with the wear of the stainless steek King cogs, but I think for ultimate wear (and price) you can't beat a ti. Boone.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

velofix
    Dec 2006
    I ran a Surly 19T all last season in wet and muddy Maine woods on my only offroad bike - a fixed gear - and it shows no wear. Can't ask more than that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sorry not to have any recommendations for other cogs, but...
    I've got over 1000 miles on a 20t Kick Ass cog and about 250 on a 19. I weigh 210 and ride a Sir 9 pretty hard. I don't think I've got any abnormal wear. I do wipe my chain down after every ride and I have a chain for each cog, if that matters.

c

Out spokin'
    Brock, I would have got you a Surly if there was one in town in the tooth count that I was looking for at the time (22 or 23). But that Endless cog was what was in stock, period.

You won't find a steel King cog as large as you're looking for (I don't think). Surlys are available up to 23t (I think) and they wear well.

I was wondering how long that aluminum Endless cog would last. Never used one myself, but many people on this forum reported good results. I was skeptical but optimistic. Now we know. Stick with steel.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

- factotum -
    Use Shimano DX steel cogs. They are great. I've been using mine for 2 years now. Several chains were worn on this thing and it's still in good shape.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    yeah if you have a steel cassette body i can't imagine anything better than a shimano for the price/durability.

29er Geek
    If you can swing a King, a Boone is only about $15 more...And the above poster is righ that the kings are only listed up to 20t.
    unityhandbuilt

Making fat cool since '71
    Thanks folks. I'll do the shitemano route for now, but knowing me...I'll end up buying a King or Boone. I'm switching from a 34/22 to a 34/20 now so I'll certainly be tempted by a King.

Davey: quit it and just accept I kill things. It's something I do, really well.

Thanks again folks.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Members who have read this thread: 0