Not Mary bars.- Mtbr.com

Thread: Not Mary bars.

Fisher test pilot

Not Mary bars.

I recently was turned on to these bars as I paged through the TCG catalog at work. For the price of two rockstar energy drinks I ordered a pair and threw them on my "utility" bike. First impressions are great. Fairly stiff, very comfortable, and damn good looking.
    Make: Bontrager Satellite trekking bar
    Material: 6061 T-6 aluminum
    Width: 610mm
    Rise: 50mm
    Clamp sz: 25.4
    35 degree sweep
    Weight: 335g

I checked the specs on the mary bar and they do vary from the Bonty but not by much. Thought you handlebar freaks would appreciate this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Recovering couch patato
    Great find!
    My flexy (no, smooth) 267g Zoom trekking bars have like 38º sweet, are a tad wider at the tips, but lack most any forward sweep.
    Yours look way wide!
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

What Would Happen?
    Rockin some of these myself. Very nice bar for $15AU.

Just Ride!
    I like! Can I order that bar online?

See Spot bike
    May 2005

How do I get a handle bar like yours?

I have always wanted to try bars like this but could never justify dropping the coin to buy a set of Mary's or JJ H bars without trying them 1st. Now I may have my opportunity.

Thanks in advance for any help you could give me.

Fisher test pilot

Any Trek dealer.

Walk into the closest trek dealer and they will be able to order the bar if it's in stock. I checked the Bontrager web sight but didn't come up with the exact bar. Your trek dealer should have the most up to date TCG catalog that has a pic and brief description of the bar. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by creepyfriendly
    For the price of two rockstar energy drinks I ordered a pair and threw them on my "utility" bike.
    Comfy looking bars. I'd love to see a few more pics of the bike. I'm all about utility.

Mojoe

Recovering couch patato
    More and more such swept bars surface here lately, and all offer the IMO superior comfort and crontrol of swept grip ends. However, compared to the Mary they also all lack sufficiend width for offroading, some also strength. Mary's and Retro's require the least extra stem length over a broomstick bar, these seem to be intermediates. I'd love to try the Bontragers flipped, that forward swept bit looks near perfect for an aero tuck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I've recently tried one made in uk by "on-one".. I was very skeptical about it, wondering how you can manage to face side loads with such a bar.

But...I m gonna order one for my brand new SC nomad...I've tried one on my brother's C-dale super V and it was a revelation:
    - when cornering, your are much more relaxed at the shoulders, you engage your shoulders in the sense of the turn, like skiing. It gives you a definite advantage while cornering
    - more generally, you are much more relaxed, what's good on manuals, while dropping or jumping.
    - You can use the S-shaped bar to multiply your positions on the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

the bar is nice, but what about the grips?

Hi creepyfriendly,

what grips are those?

Fisher test pilot

Plain old...

Bontrager bmx grips. I like em because of the width and comfort.

Alles komt goed!
    The distance as discribed in the picture might be a problem. The Mary bar is corrected for this, and that can be the price differences (more bending) i am not sure, i think we have to measure it before we make conclusions.... But on the website of One on it is discribed that the corrected it to prevent people have to buy an other stem, ore rotation of the bar when hiting a drop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gijsberg; 01-11-2006 at 04:23 AM. Reason: before making a conlusion

Recovering couch patato
    Many people that go from 5º flat bars to 45º Jones bars hardly mind the short reach, and add only 10mm or even zero to the stem to get comfortable. I added 20mm over an 11º flat bar, and was fine.

I like how you drew those lines, very clear!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice find. I can't believe I missed those. The price is definitely right. I'm gonna have to get me a pair of those. And if I go to work to order them, maybe I can get the boss to actually pay me...

YO MAMA

Mtn Biker Machinist

Cost?

What is retail? obviously less than the mary ($60) but how much? I called my local trek lbs, and the guy looked through the TCG catalog, but couldn't find the Satellite bar. Any particular place to look? Under road or mountain bars? I am dying to try these things on my commuter. thanks

What's the Hurry?
    Both my 26ers are set up this way

This is my road 26er running 42x17 and 1.9 slicks. mary bar is very comfortable over long distances and bar ends give an aero tuck when the revs run out on the downhills
    Regards David

Recovering couch patato
    Nice Bar Midzvah's! (can't really call them barends used there)

Did you ever consider wrapping it all up with bar tape, especially to make the transitions between bar and barends as smooth as possible, adding hand positions in the process? Or am I geeking out too much here?
    I had a similar setup on a grocery getter, but it was stolen (thief must have digged the 28/26" setup too) before I got it all perfected.

I like the extra grips you added there, looks quite smooth riding already. All grips are too short IMO.

For much more bar goodness (feel free to cross-post to make it complete, even is the wheelsize is "off") : Funky Handlebar Thread http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=84555

Fisher test pilot

Price and location.

In reference to 1 cog frog, the bars retail for $15.99 and can be found on page 193 of the 2006 TCG catalog.

Members who have read this thread: 1