The normalization of insanity.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

The normalization of insanity.

When I first converted an old bike to singlespeed, it was just backup bike for my main bike. After all, riding a singlespeed full time is just crazy.

When I started riding a singlespeed full time, it was just on the easier trails. After all, riding a singlespeed on steep trails is just crazy.

When I started riding a singlespeed on steep trails, it was just for fun and fitness. After all, racing a singlespeed is just crazy.

When I started racing a singlespeed, it was just on the short courses. After all, racing singlespeed on long courses is just crazy.

So here I am registering for the 40 mile Black Bear Rampage - Singlespeed class.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    This reasoning inspires me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Robtre
    Simple logic: If you like it, do it more. Mountain biking IS a recreational sport. Racing is for fun, unless you earn a paycheck. In my experience single-speeding exclusively for 8+ years is, many many people say single-speed bikes are stupid, until they try it. Riding a SS bike is an art form, and can improve your riding from many aspects. Is it for everyone? Absolutely not. SS is no longer a fad, or a cult, just different. I compare it to my many years of surfing, when I went from riding faster, more nimble short boards, to riding longboards. Longboarding is much like single-speeding, not the most efficient, or popular, but certainly more soulful, rewarding, and more of a connection to the water.
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Just wait until you sign up for hundos with 14k of climbing on your single speed and spend 11+ hrs in the saddle to complete the distance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by solo-x View Post
    Just wait until you sign up for hundos with 14k of climbing on your single speed and spend 11+ hrs in the saddle to complete the distance.
    That's crazy.

mtbr member
    Love it!

Wanna ride bikes?
    why fight it? just embrace it.

crazy is as crazy does.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    I can't really agree that SS is an art form, it's just crude pedalling, nothing fancy about it.

I started out SS'ing just because I was curious what all the fuss were about. Initially I thought it to be some kind of macho fad. Bought a SS and quickly started wondering why the hell I ever bothered to bring gears, I was just as fast if not faster than before. Tried riding geared again and spent the entire ride thinking about what gear might be better than the one I were currently using. Switched back to the geared bike and didn't worry about a thing, just rode and enjoyed the scenery. Every once in a while I convinced myself that a geared bike had to be better, but found that it wasn't. Sold my dust-gathering, unused geared bike after a while and have been riding SS ever since.

Insanity? I don't think so. I ride just as fast SS as I used to do geared, so why would I bring a more complicated setup along when it's clearly not needed? That would be insane!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    When I started riding a singlespeed full time, it was just on the easier trails. After all, riding a singlespeed on steep trails is just crazy.
    Ok, this is where I am. I'm doing the Black Bear as well, but not on the SS. That's just crazy!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm enjoying the synergy between riding my SS HT and my FS geared bike. Riding the SS has influenced my riding so much that I never switch gears on my geared bike.

Carrying around gears you no longer use? Now that's crazy!

nothing to see here
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I always thought single speeders were a little off their rockers... then Trek came out with a bike in a color scheme I had to have (yay purple!). Tried my friend's at short track, loved it, ordered one. Raced short track on the SS, fell in love. Went out on my trails, fell even more in love. Planning on doing 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo as a solo SS in February. It was a fast downward spiral Just picked up my SS cyclocross bike today, and racing that for cross this year.

I still race a geared bike for nearly all my XC races, but I can already tell riding SS is making me attack hills harder, and hopefully will teach me some other tricks.

mtbr member
    Had a similar progression, but here's my full path.

Started riding MTB about 10 years ago with the full 27 gear bike. Never used the big ring, so I ditched it for a bash guard. Never really liked spinning the small ring much, so built my second bike as a 1x9 (before the 1x thing was even a thing, really)

Got tired of maintaining the full suspension pivots/shock/etc so built the next bike as a hardtail 29er with a 1x10 setup.

Chatted up a singlespeeder out on the trail about 5 years back. Built one up with some spare parts and a conversion kit. You know, just to try it out. If I can get up my local mountain maybe I can try some longer (10+ mile rides)

Rode some tame stuff. Wasn't too bad.

Rode some tougher stuff. Got stronger.

Decided to build a nice one, so enter the Karate Monkey.

Rode some longer distances with more climbs. Got stronger.

Now it's pretty much all I ride. About 80% SS, 15% hardtail, 5% FS.

Rode the ORAMM course. That needs some gears. Or maybe I need to get even stronger. But there are limits....maybe I'll enter next year on SS. But that's crazy....
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I never thought I'd be riding a single speed, let alone being happy doing 70km rides on one (or 3).

Unpredictable
    OK boys it's time to lower the seat, concentrate on the fun and not the crowd applause. Could you do this for 14k, just for the giggles?

The normalization of insanity.-p1050189.jpg

Robtre
    [QUOTE=Sandrenseren;12166091]I can't really agree that SS is an art form, it's just crude pedalling, nothing fancy about it.

Um Ok. When I ride a SS bike, I ride it completely different than a geared bike. I use my entire body to hammer up a hill, use body position to keep speed through obstacles, I try not to use brakes, and I suck every bit of flow out of the trail I can find. Riding a SS fully rigid bike really takes practice to master. Riding a geared hardtail, or FS bike I just pedal and point.

Back to my surfing analogy, a longboard takes way more work to ride gracefully.
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    I ride gears SS style by default. I grew up riding my stingrays then my BMX and freestyle bikes every single chance I could. Had Schwinn cruisers and even my road bike was single speed. Gazillions of miles, a large percentage in the woods, all throughout my growing years.

Enter the 21 speed MTB into my life and I just couldn't find a use for the small ring or even more than a small band of the range of gears at my disposal. I didn't understand why someone would prefer to sit and spin up a hill. To me, that was the insanity.

Now, back on my bike after many years off it's singlespeed, rigid, fat and simply all fun. A skinny tire singlespeed would be nice to have when I'm not riding in sand. There is a 19 mile singletrack near me that would be perfect for it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I never thought I'd be on a rigid after the feeling I got the first time I flew through roots and rock gardens on a full squish bike. But I'll be damned if I'm not liking it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Catamount by Mike, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Bmike:I ride there all the time: one gear everytime: rigid or fork- super fun!