Nor Cal Gearing- Mtbr.com

Thread: Nor Cal Gearing

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Nor Cal Gearing

Hi All... I was wondering if you could help me with gearing information. I live in nor cal and should be getting a free singlespeed frame and was wondering what kinds of gearing you are running. I usually ride briones and redwood and sometimes shell ridge. Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    I've been doing Redwood with 32:18 (usually clockwise). I'm going to see what it is like with 32:20 tonight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I ride Tam on a 32-16, but am planning to try 32-18 in the next few days.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks guys! I heard 32-16 is a good combo so I might try that.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    32:18 or any 2 up gearing.

If you are exceptionally strong or have been singlespeeding for a while, then get heavier gears. In 6 months, you will be stronger than today. But if you don't know what you're facing in Norcal, 32:16 is silly I think.

francois

mtbr member

Agree.

32:16 is doable for a strong rider, but if you aren't in a race, you are going to suffer needlessly (at least I would).

Northern California is great for rides where you don't spend a lot of time spun out on flat sections. You are either climbing or coasting much faster than you could pedal at 32:16.

32:18 can take you just about anywhere if you are in a hurry.

I just switched to 32:20 and rode Redwood, and it was the difference between dreading certain climbs (Canyon to East Ridge) and enjoying the whole ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks PBB I am not trying to kill myself and as you know briones has a bunch of nasty long climbs. I would opt for easier gearing.

...In the meantime.
    When I ride up there (Annadel) I usually run 32:17 or 34:18. 32:18 should be more than adequate.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks... looks like I should go 32-18 or so maybe 32-20 if I feel like taking it easy. Thanks for all of the help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i run 34:19.... in Tahoe. i also ride my IF singlespeed exclusively...
    Last edited by onehotchili; 06-08-2006 at 04:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Caddie, hand me my 21t rear wheel please ...

Almost bought a heavily discounted Truth, but it didn't fit quite right, and would only take an 80mm fork. Now that I know about White ENO freewheels, I'm thinking of forgetting about a new gearie (I have a 95 Kestrel CSX) and investing in a couple of rear wheels with different sized freewheels so I can easily go with a lotta teeth for those big days at Coe, and a more reasonable number for a quick ride at UCSC or Wilder.

Anybody else doing this? If so, what freewheel sizes are you using? Should I dedicate a chain for each freewheel?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolMark
    . . .investing in a couple of rear wheels with different sized freewheels so I can easily go with a lotta teeth for those big days at Coe
    I'd be cheaper to get a couple ENO freewheels and the ACS freewheel spanner.

I've tried various schemes to have multiple gearing options, but I usually just default to the gear that can cover everything. I've found that I quickly adapt to spinning faster and having a lower top speed on the flats. A few years ago I did a 1.5 mile commute for almost a year on a BMX bike geared at 25:13. After the first week, it didn't feel slow anymore.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    get a 32 up front than get a 16 a 18 and a 20 and play with them you can get the acs freewheels for like 20 bucks a piece i started ss a year ago out of shape with a 32 16 and it can be challenging at times but its not too bad i recently (yesterday) put an 18 on cause i hurt my knee (not ridin) so when i get back on the bike itll be a little gentler till i get back up to speed. so to make a short story long the things are cheap enough to have a variety of freewheels for different rides.ride hard and fast!

mtbr member
    I ride many of the same places you do, like Shell Ridge and Briones. My bike came with a 32:16 which I rode for a few weeks before switching to a 34:18. That seemed to be a good compromise between not getting dropped on the flats and not killing myself on the climbs. I still take the gearie up Mt. Diablo for the most part though, so I wasn't worried about doing serious climbing on the SS.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I've only seen NorCal gearing when I've done a few Demo Forest rides and participated in a few Sea Otter races...
    best I can tell, this is NorCal's favorite gearing....

Hollywood and I set our bikes up "NorCal gearing" for that particular training ride we were doing...that's him on the left..and (fat) me on the right...

I've since returned to SoCal gearing that enables me to actually ride the hills.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    whats SoCal gearing?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm a pretty new SSer. I haven't ridden Briones yet on a SS, but I can't imagine being able to do the route I normally would take on a SS. I ride the Pleasanton Ridge, and that seems hard enough. My gearing for my 29er is 34x24 which is like 41 gear inches. If I ride with my geared friends, sometimes I can do all the climbing at the ridge. I have no idea how much harder a few gear inches actually is on the trail. I'm not sure I could/would enjoy any local rides on 34x22 or less. I think I'd just be walking too much (I doubt I'm in as good a shape as most here seem to be).

In another thread Shiggy had this gem: "really low gears may not make climbing any easier because you hurt just as much but you are going slower so you also hurt longer."

That's why I'm wondering if I should just go for the harder gear. On the other hand I've been thinking I should just ride 1x9 in order to feel good about climbing everything like I used to be able to do...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    I've since returned to SoCal gearing that enables me to actually ride the hills.
    What gearing do you guys run down South?

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolMark
    What gearing do you guys run down South?
    Down here we got loooong uphills coupled with steep downhills. Most of us gear to be able to stay on the bike for the climbs...so most SS riders I know down here are pushing a gear notably higher than 2x1, the norcal/singlespeed foklore standard.

I can count on one hand the number of riders who run near that gear.

I would say the most common gear would be a 32x20 or 32x19...(littlewheel gearing....on 29er wheels 32x22/32x21.....32x19 for the big dogs)

Members who have read this thread: 0