Noob Thanks!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Noob Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Noob Thanks!

I am a long time reader of the mtbr forums, but a first time poster. I just wanted to send out a big thank you to everyone here on the SS forums for all the good advice that you all give in all your responses (well maybe not ALL your responses!) and also to introduce myself to everyone.

All the advice has helped me to recently start my first SS build. I just ordered all the components and should keep me busy for a little while over the winter. However, I'm so amped about this thing that I'll probably end up going out as soon as it's done regardless of weather!

mtbr member

Snap a pic...

and post it up when you get it built!

Baron of Gray Matter
    May 2004
    Info, we need info on your bike. Welcome to SSing.

Ride and repeat, always repeat.
    "Oh Dear, I've been redorkulated."
    Prof. Frink.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I have only the frame and fork right now, I'm hoping all the components that I ordered will be here early next week so pics will come soon.

The frame is an '06 Kona Unit. It looks and feels (holding it anyway) really nice and tight, I can't wait to ride it. I was a little dissappointed that it was a little heavier than reported coming in at just over 4 pounds. I also thought that I would hate the brown color looking at the pic online, but it's growing on me, after all the little nonsense decals were removed it's looking real nice.

The fork is a Manitou Skareb Elite, which is a little lighter than advertised, so possibly making up for the frame. It's the first Manitou that I've had, so I'm anxious to try it out. Anybody have strong feelings about them either way?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lpw71
    I was a little dissappointed that it was a little heavier than reported coming in at just over 4 pounds.

Since you're running a three-pound suspension fork anyway, you shouldn't sweat the frame weight. The lack of derailleurs, chainrings, cogs, shifters, and cables will keep your Kona plenty light. Have fun with the build!

Members who have read this thread: 0