No turning back. My journey to the dark side is complete.- Mtbr.com
    Jabberwocky Jockey

No turning back. My journey to the dark side is complete.

I just sold my last geared mountain bike.

My 06 Titus Racer-X is on its way to a new home where it will be hopefully ridden and enjoyed. It's not that I didn't enjoy it, I did. It was an awesome bike. All 6 times I rode it since I gave life to it back in May, I enjoyed it - to an extent.

By way of contrast, all the other times I rode my singlespeed (3100 miles this year, do the math) I not only enjoyed the ride and the challenge but the post ride maintenance and upkeep and simplicity of it all eventually was much to much for me to bear keeping the beloved Titus. A bike like that should be ridden and that's something that I couldn't give it.
    Maybe it's the fact that I turn 40 in a couple of weeks, maybe this is my mid-life crisis, I dunno. I have divided my riding between one gear and many gears for 4 years now and now it has come to the pivotal moment when:

There can be only one.
    Calling out from the Land of the Riding Hillbilly.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

Cold Blooded
    It is funny to come across this thread since I was just considering the same thing. I have had my Surly Karate Monkey built up as a single speed for a few months now and that is all I want to ride. My Kona King kikapu with all the Gucci parts just sits in the basement by itself. If I sell the kona as a frameset I could have a pretty hot singlespeed build on the Surly. I need to try a few group rides with the mates on the singlespeed before I decide. Either way it the kona will be replaced by a hardtail. I am sick of playing engineer to get the bike to work the way I want it to.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Funny... I said similar in a post yesterday. I commute on the roadie about once a week, but then when I get back on the SS MTB, I love it! It's so much more fun to ride. I'm seriously considering changing the roadie over to a SS too.

mtbr member
    I've been clean since May when I sold my FS and geared bikes, however I had a bit of a relapse when I fitted a 1x9 setup to my Implant which I've not ran gears on until now, but the thinking is that I did this because I want a SS specific frame soon, so I may as well experiment on a bike that's supposed to have gears and go fast on the DH!

Darkwing - you know you want to post a pic of your SS!

Jabberwocky Jockey
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J

Darkwing - you know you want to post a pic of your SS!

Certainly!

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

mtbr member
    That's lovely!

...soon to be sith lord..
    Wow Duck! I had no idea you ditched the Titus!

You and The Great White Goat have now officially become animals!
    There is a fine line between control and catastrophe
    Northeast Tennessee Mountain Bike Association

Jabberwocky Jockey
    Quote Originally Posted by obi_twan_kenobe
    Wow Duck! I had no idea you ditched the Titus!

You and The Great White Goat have now officially become animals!

It's not yet local knowledge. The deal is contingent on money reaching my hands but I have a fairly firm commitment on it.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    Glad too see your enjoying that bike so much. I was cleaning up some files a few weeks ago and came across pictures of when I first built that frame up and I was wondering if it was still getting abused.

Is that the Instigator fork I gave you with the frame? That fork was a jackhammer.

Jabberwocky Jockey
    Quote Originally Posted by Endomaniac
    Glad too see your enjoying that bike so much. I was cleaning up some files a few weeks ago and came across pictures of when I first built that frame up and I was wondering if it was still getting abused.

Is that the Instigator fork I gave you with the frame? That fork was a jackhammer.

Oh it gets abused regularly (or is it me that gets the abuse?). I am bringing it to the Hill of Truth in a couple of weeks for some fun at the Ridge.

I do still have the Instigator fork. I have thought about changing it but don't really know what to go with. I have a friend with a Viscous fork and there's not enough tire clearance for my 2.5.
    I may get bored this winter and find something to put on there.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

mtbr member
    It's funny, cause I am thinking the same thing! Have an Ellsworth truth, with ALL the bits and pieces possible, but it is just sitting collecting dust for the last month while I all I want to ride is the SS. Riding the SS is something people who don't do it, will never understand...

mtbr member
    Hey Ryan, get out of my mind.....it's too crowded here already! I to have an Ellsworth Truth I have been thinking of selling to finace a 29er SS project. I rarely ride it since I built my first SS out of spare parts.
    Nobody will hurt you more than yourself

mtbr member

Awesome

Hey Now! I remember just only a few weeks ago reading all these posts about how riders geary fs bikes are now collecting dust and thinking: "how is that possible???? I can't imagine that" Especially after all the upgrades I've recently done to my FS ride. But low and behold here I am. A newborn darksider. Ride On!!!! nucmedjimss. Check out my UNIT:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    And a good day to you sir!

mtbr member
    Is that a Surly Instigator fork up front on that bike?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J
    I've been clean since May when I sold my FS and geared bikes, however I had a bit of a relapse when I fitted a 1x9 setup to my Implant which I've not ran gears on until now

Thats the funniest thing I have ever read on here Keep comming back...It works if you ride It!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Is that a Surly Instigator fork up front on that bike?
    If you mean my Kona, nah, it's a Reba.
    And a good day to you sir!

Members who have read this thread: 0