no tubes ztr SS rear hub anyone tried it?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

no tubes ztr SS rear hub anyone tried it?

looked and found the new SS no tubes ztr hub, 253g, lighter than hope SS & 230g lighter than my stock novatech SS. So it must be better, A very resonable price, way cheaper than King or Hope your views are sought on these hubs coupled with DT rev DB spokes & mavic 717 disc rims. (I'm about 90-93kg) but a rider who is light on his gear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I had a set of ZTR hubs (SS rear) and Arches on my Q-Ball last year, and for the price, they are hard to beat. I think it was a $20 upgharge over the standard geared hub, and the mini-cassette gives options for chain line. I would not hesitate to get another set. BTW, I sold them with the bike, otherwise I'd still have them.

I like turtles
    Are these available in bolt-on?
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    ztr hubs, DT Rev DB spokes, alloy nipples & Mavic 717disc rims weighing in at 1504g =
    being built up this week so all going well first ride wednesday....next some hope race x2 brakes & my SS is done apart from a lighter h-bar. Carbon anyone?

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    not a huge fan of them. Freehub bodies can be very oversized for some reason. Makes me wonder what else is out of tolerance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thanks for the advice. CK SS hubs retail for $1,200nz a pair with ceramic brgs.
    That's without spokes & rims etc.....DT Rev DB $10nz each.....717disc rims &160+ nz ea....plus building $120nz per pair.makes for a very expensive wheels set in a bike that only cost me $1,135nz.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by conrad
    looked and found the new SS no tubes ztr hub, 253g, lighter than hope SS & 230g lighter than my stock novatech SS. So it must be better, A very resonable price, way cheaper than King or Hope your views are sought on these hubs coupled with DT rev DB spokes & mavic 717 disc rims. (I'm about 90-93kg) but a rider who is light on his gear.

I've got them on a couple bikes. Hard to beat for the price for sure. No issues in over 2 years.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    not a huge fan of them. Freehub bodies can be very oversized for some reason. Makes me wonder what else is out of tolerance.
    If you don't like the ztr ss hubs, what do you recommend? I'm planning to build my first SS, and can't decide between a standard hub orb a dedicated ss hub. The ss ztr hub looked like a good choice, and more affordable than the Hope ss hub on the Stans site.

Thanks in advance for your recommendation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My bike came with novatech hubs F=216g R=480g = total wheel set 200g
    Hope pro 2 F=185g R trials= 361g,
    ZTR F= 162g R= 252g = total wheel set 1503g I save 900+g over stock!
    King just to many $ to even worth conidering. I have king classics on one bike & Hope pro 2 on another hopes 2/3 the cost of kings and 9/10 the performance. But on an SS I couldn't justify the hopes to the wife so went with ztr's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    novatech wheel set 2360g

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tiki
    If you don't like the ztr ss hubs, what do you recommend? I'm planning to build my first SS, and can't decide between a standard hub orb a dedicated ss hub. The ss ztr hub looked like a good choice, and more affordable than the Hope ss hub on the Stans site.

Thanks in advance for your recommendation.
    i personally love DT-Swiss 240s hubs, but i realize they might be out of reach for some people's wallets. However, i'd rather buy a used set of Dt-Swiss for the same price as a new set of Stans. As for SS specific wheels, i would always choose a 9/10 speed hub over an SS one just for the fact that it's far more versitile. For example, i have one decent set of wheels that i share between a geared bike and my SS. I think this is much better than spending a similar amount of money for 2 entry level wheelsets. As for ridability, a zero dish wheel (ss specific wheel) is technically stronger, but in real life applications, unless you're a big guy and a hard rider, you'll probably never notice. I've had both, and it didn't seem to make a difference, and i'm 175lbs.

SSOD
    Light doesn't necessarily mean better, most times it means your getting aluminum instead of steel parts. Sometimes this is good, sometimes this is not good, it's your choice, just don't equate one with the other is all I'm saying.

Members who have read this thread: 0