No more Dingle!- Mtbr.com

Thread: No more Dingle!

mtbr member

No more Dingle!

Yes! I can banish any thoughts of dinglespeeding!

There is this mountain road I ride for training, and every time I reach the extended climb portion, I wimp out and shift down on my 26FS Geared (but soon to be 29 Rigid). But today, riding alone, and with encouragement from fellow SS posters here, I was determined to conquer the trip on a single gear. No dinglespeed accepted - no other lower gear to chicken out to - just me, the mountain, and one gear.

And I did it! 32:20 all the way to the top. On a shorter, less steep path I used 32:23 before and battled my way mostly seated. Today, however, 32:20, which forced me to stand and mash away up the hill.

The extended climb section on which I would normally gear down, I stayed and mashed at 32:20, albeit with 3 rest stops instead of continuously spinning like before. But despite stopping to catch my breath, the success has shown me that I can do it.

I stayed true to singlespeeding, as well. The downhill portions I would normally shift up to get more speed. But to really get a sense of true singlespeeding, I stayed at 32:20, which was infuriatingly slow at the flats.

Hmm, perhaps I will have to think dinglespeed for road...

Out spokin'
    Way to keep it real, brutha.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You'll get better. Ride fixed or SS on the road and your off road climbs will become easier. You'll also improve your spin considerably.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I do SS because I'd shift if I had the option. Nice work.

mtbr member

Singlespeed Mashing Techniques

Standing brought to light new mashing methods I never thought of using before. When I mashed before, I was standing and supporting my weight over the handlebar. I would push down on the handlebar to support some body weight so not to tire out my legs. I thought strong triceps and shoulders would be the limit to upper body strength needed for singlespeeding.

But as I stood up more and mashed on steeper inclines, I found my weight insufficient to provide enough torque to the cranks to keep movement forward. I found that while pushing down on a crank, I would pull up on the opposite side of the handlebar along with pulling up on the opposite crank as well. That provided me with a significant amount of torque to power up the hill. Now I understand why fellow SS posters have been saying it is a full body workout instead of just legs. Not only are my triceps sore, my biceps and back got a workout as well. Now this is a true total body workout.

But I also discovered when my arms tire out, I would basically hug the handlebar and mash - quite like a road bike mashing position - and it is quite effective as well.

What mashing methods is everyone using?

mtbr member
    I have a light mashing technique I use that employs shifting my weight back and forth. I throw my weight forward just before I power stroke then do nearly a track stand as I get set for the next thrust. I use my body weight going forward as well as my weight pushing down on the pedals.

I find this to be a little easier.

Now if it's a steep incline, it's the pull on the bars to compound the force to the pedals. But I can only las so long with this. But for slightly less incline, the above mentioned technique lets me go a lot longer.
    Just get out and ride!

Members who have read this thread: 0