No love for the Cannondale 29er SS crowd?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

No love for the Cannondale 29er SS crowd?

Just having difficulty deciding what to do about my SS stable.
    I have a 2007 1FG and a 2008 Caffeine 29er SS both of which are spec'd much different then they come from Cannondale and I like riding both but need to get rid of one.

Both have bushnell EBB, Truvativ Noir 1.1, WTB devo carbon saddles, and carbon bars

1fg has DT swiss 240 SS hubs on xc717 with stans, avid juicy 7's, Cannondale USE sumo with SAVE from Flash ultimate, headshok

Caffeine has Hope Pro II hubs on Salso Delgado rims and tubes, avid elixir CR, and Shimano Pro carbon seatpost, lefty carbon SL with OPI lower and soloair.

The 1fg is great and feels more maneuverable but I couldn't resist the 29er revolution so I have been riding the Caffeine with Lefty carbon SL. It is faster downhill but feels bigger (go figure). Both are Medium frames and I ride hardpack singletrack that is rolling and fast with a few nice obstacles here and there but the elevation is only about 350 feet lowest to highest here on the east coast trails of DE and MD.

I had thoughts of selling both and picking up a Flash carbon 2 but I never ride my geared Rocky Mountain FS as there is really no need for gears here.

Why doesn't Cannondale give people like me an option besides the lowly Trail SL 5?
    What to do, what to do?!!!?

Anyone go 29er for awhile and revert back to "old-school" 26"? I don't know if I will be able to decide. My ideal would be a carbon flash, carbon lefty, Bushnell EBB, DT swiss hubs on Stans Arch rims with the truvativ noir cranks, using a USE shim for the sumo seatpost but I would need to buy the trail SL 5, part it out and move all my parts over and try and sell a whole mess of parts and bikes!

Any words of wisdom?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    bringing this thread back from the dead.

I am still struggling with this dilemma. I have been out of commission lately due to a deep vein thrombosis jamming me up from March to now and prior to that I was spending most of my spare time training for a half ironman (that I had to bow out of due my clot!).

I am planning a mountain bike return in a week or two when the rain finally lets up here and the temps rise enough to dry out the park.

My options are keep the 29er, keep the 1FG, or sell both and go with a new Flash 29er Carbon. I will also likely sell my 2005 Rocky Mountain ETSX that has about 20 total days of riding on it. It's been hanging in the garage for years now and gets tuned up and ridden once or twice a year and every time I feel very fast but not very tired.

mtbr member
    I don't know much about either, but brought up a new old stock (2006) Cannondale 1FG that's at a local shop for $899 on the CO-Front Range forum, and Cannondal got NO love there! LOL

Good luck, wish I could help...

The need for singlespeed
    Well Doc, based solely on the adjectives you chose to describe the two bikes in your original post, it seems you like the f1g a bit more. If that's the case ditch the "revolution." I'd argue there's no advantage to big wheels on smooth singletrack, and less rotational inertia suits the constant acceleration from the up down up down ad infinitum we have here in MD

Obviously a tough call, taking a year to make--good luck!

mtbr member
    Keep the 1FG, sell both others, use new money to pick up a cross bike for variety. I have an f600 SS and a cross bike and this is a sweet combo to give some variety and versatility. All the bikeage I need.

Apr 2007
    Any reason you're stuck on Cannondale? I'd say strip the parts off of one bike, buy a SS frame (there are plenty of cooler frames than a Cannondale out there), and enjoy life.

The Brutally Handsome
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    Any reason you're stuck on Cannondale? I'd say strip the parts off of one bike, buy a SS frame (there are plenty of cooler frames than a Cannondale out there), and enjoy life.
    I dunno, I'm no Canno fan but lefties are sizzling hot!

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    You just have to be creative:

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    There's also a guy who cut away the BB30 bearing clips and installed a Team Beer EBB in the carbon 3 frame. the teambeer website had an article up about it.

I wasn't prepared to grind out a frame I want to sell in the future.

Low Rep Count
    Oooh, I like the blk/wht set up there! Always liked the Lefty idea myself and would love to have this set up at some point. That or a Black Sheep of course.

Members who have read this thread: 0