This is no longer funny..- Mtbr.com
    Retro Grouch

This is no longer funny..

After I found out my left side Sugino crank arm was the wrong square taper, I also received my ebay Stronglight crank. After cleaning it up, I installed it on my Peugeot and went for a ride; but no, there is again something wrong. The pedal is wiggling like a bent crank arm But you know what? The crank doesn't really look that bad; but the pedal is definately off. You take a look. Does it look like crash damage? Or is it a factory defect. Can I fix this? I gots to know.

1G1G, Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    is that as far as it threaded in? old french cranks don't use a 9/16 spindle. (it's something metric and smaller.) my hunch; the previous owner "tapped" them with a pedal and did about as good a job as can be expected. you could ask your lbs if they could help you clean it up with a pedal tap but looking at how crooked your pedal is, it's probably f'ed.

good luck

mtbr member
    May 2005
    i agree about the threads. one possibility (and this may be a long shot), but find a good maching shop and have them "bush" and re-tap threads for you. OR you could try to re-tap it yourself and try to find a 9/16 thread insert. that too could be answered by a machine shop. just a thought. good luck

Retro Grouch

I don't think that's it..

Quote Originally Posted by dannybob
    is that as far as it threaded in? old french cranks don't use a 9/16 spindle. (it's something metric and smaller.) my hunch; the previous owner "tapped" them with a pedal and did about as good a job as can be expected. you could ask your lbs if they could help you clean it up with a pedal tap but looking at how crooked your pedal is, it's probably f'ed.

good luck
    On the back of the crank arm is stamped "9/16 x 20 deg."

Brad

Retro Grouch

Last resort..

Quote Originally Posted by TheBarber
    i agree about the threads. one possibility (and this may be a long shot), but find a good maching shop and have them "bush" and re-tap threads for you. OR you could try to re-tap it yourself and try to find a 9/16 thread insert. that too could be answered by a machine shop. just a thought. good luck
    My LBS has the tools to drill and insert a helicoil; I just don't feel comfortable doing it.

Brad

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    aw come on, you got the speed square where's your framing hammer? a couple of whacks and that thing will be good as new !

No Justice = No Peace

Threaded Inserts/Helicoil....

Go for it Brad. They are stronger than the original thread in some cases. Absolutely safe and trouble free. I've used them on motorcycles and car applications over the years with zero problems.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutarious
    Go for it Brad. They are stronger than the original thread in some cases. Absolutely safe and trouble free. I've used them on motorcycles and car applications over the years with zero problems.
    i gotta agree with this

have no fear brad.get that thing fixed
    looking for 20-21" P team

Sofa King We Todd Did
    How about contacting the ebay seller with this photographic evidence and asking what's up? I know you want the crank and all, but why settle for a possibly defective crank?

Members who have read this thread: 0