Niner SIR9 build?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Niner SIR9 build?

I'm trying to figure out what parts I want to run.

I was thinking something along the lines of

Fox 100RLC 29
    White industries ENO disc hubs laced to Stans Arch 29er rims.
    White industries ENO crank
    Phil Wood BB
    ENO freewheel
    Thomson Stem and post
    Some silly light seat
    Juicy 7 brakes, with some sort of Billet fancy boy lever.
    Stainless chain.
    Not- sure on bars, any suggestions? Something different maybe..

I'm am trying to keep it free of silly stuff like carbon fiber, and CNC aluminum is teh sexy.
    Trying to make it kinda bling without using weak parts, or Carbon. Any reason to change any of the parts? Not use so much W.I.?

Thinking Tang color with all silver parts.

Thanks alot.

Go hard or go home
    Well...

Where to start...

- I have the ENO crank and totally love it - great design sense, stiff, holds pedals well
    - Thompson Stem and Post - sure. Good stuff
    - Juicy 7 brakes - I have Juicy Carbons - they are ok, but for me, I like the response of my Hayes El Camino's better, but that is totally personal opinion...there will be a flamefest in the Brakes group on that subject
    - Don't know if my seat is 'silly light' but I do like my WTB Rocket V ProGel Ti seat...I guess its probably pretty light...
    - I have Industry9 wheels, so am partial to them, but I am sure the White Ind. stuff is wicked good too
    - I like carbon, so I have lots of that on my SS, so can't really opine about that.

Have fun building your baby!!
    Best coffee ever... www.copperdoorcoffee.com/

Jacob 34:19

Good stuff

I did a couple things different with my Sir9.

I started with the Juicy 7's but have ended up with BB7's. the J7's felt great when they were new but between a sticky front piston and leaking rear master cylinder, they weren't worth the hassle. The BB7's with ultimate levers get maybe 90% of the feel of the J7's but WAY less hassles. YMMV.

Also, the WI hubs are really nice but I opted for a cassette style hub (DT 240s). They're lighter and changing gearing is both cheaper and less hassle. A seized freewheel can be a real PITA to remove. The DT hubs are also some of the most reliable hubs you can buy.

Lastly, the Niner fork is pretty darn nice. I ordered my Sir with the Niner fork and also bought a Reba and an extra crown race so I could swap them out when needed. I've rarely found the suspension to be necessary. I'm also using some Mary bars which I think help a lot with the handling as well.

Good luck. Regardless of how you build it, the SIR really is a great ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0