Niner ROS for SS?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Niner ROS for SS?

I think the new ROS is cool, but I'm just not sure I see how it is begging to be SS'ed. Sure its got short CS, but I'm actually surprised it has the EBB for SSing. Are there really that many SSers looking to SS this frame?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Personally, I would love to get my hands on that frame. I had a Nimble 9 before, which has the same short CS/slack angle geo and was a blast as a SS. The only thing I didn't like was the sliding drops. I've emailed Canfield if they would at least make the Yelli with a PF30 BB so I can run a Beer Comp EBB, but doesn't look like that will happen anytime soon. So the ROS with EBB would be my ideal bike. What is more of a surprise is that they used 4130 and the pricing is still up at $900.

Press Release: Niner Bikes launches the ROS 9 and Airformed JET 9

Oh, and the 2.35" max rear clearance is somewhat of a disappointment.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ddd
    Last edited by 1SPDBING; 03-16-2014 at 04:46 PM.

COTA member
    Maybe 120/95 Fox TALAS would be the ticket to make the ROS a tad more friendly when climbing. SS is already hard enough climbing with XC geometry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Personally, I would love to get my hands on that frame. I had a Nimble 9 before, which has the same short CS/slack angle geo and was a blast as a SS. The only thing I didn't like was the sliding drops. I've emailed Canfield if they would at least make the Yelli with a PF30 BB so I can run a Beer Comp EBB, but doesn't look like that will happen anytime soon. So the ROS with EBB would be my ideal bike. What is more of a surprise is that they used 4130 and the pricing is still up at $900.

Press Release: Niner Bikes launches the ROS 9 and Airformed JET 9

Oh, and the 2.35" max rear clearance is somewhat of a disappointment.
    What didn't you like about the Canfield sliders? I actually prefer them compared to effing around with CarboGrip on my SIR9's EBB.

And yeah, 2.35 is BS.

I was just at NEMBAFEST and asked the Tech at the Niner tent if they had a ROS to demo and he told me the frames weren't in the country yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Has anyone been out on the ROS 9 as a SS yet? I would be very curious to read some feedback on this style frame as a SS option.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I rode one around for a month as SS. It was setup with a 130mm fork. It was rad. I didnt mind the weight or higher front end while climbing because it made the going down part so much fun. It also had a stealth reverb on it.

I dont get the $900 comment, its a solid bike that has a lot of small details that will show you that your money is well spent.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I run my Kona Honzo single speed and it's awesome. It's actually not that much harder to climb with than my SIR9 single speed. The extra weight and draggy Minion tires don't slow it down as much as I thought they would. And the slack front/short rear geometry is perfectly fine for standing climbing - I bet seated climbing with gears would be much worse since the front end would probably get too light and try to wander.

As far as limited rear tire width goes... I'm happy with the short stays and a 2.3 Minion DHR II in the back. If you want fat tires get a Krampus.

So I say HECK YEAH to running a ROS9 or Nimble 9 or any AM hardtail as a single speed. It's the bee's knees if you have terrain worthy of such a bike. Unfortunately, my main riding area is strictly XC, so the SIR9 gets most of the love. But when the trail gets gnarly and the jumps get big - it's Honzo time.

mtbr member
    I love the removable FD mount on the ROS9, it makes it look so clean when removed...

Bicycle Addict

Looks incredibly fun.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    What didn't you like about the Canfield sliders? I actually prefer them compared to effing around with CarboGrip on my SIR9's EBB.

And yeah, 2.35 is BS.

I was just at NEMBAFEST and asked the Tech at the Niner tent if they had a ROS to demo and he told me the frames weren't in the country yet.
    Wow, 9 months later. Sorry, didn't see this until now. For some reason, the subscriptions with new replies don't always show up in the Settings tab.

Just personal preference on sliders, in general (not Canfield specific). They actually never slipped (except the first time, when I limp wristed the bolt torque), but setting it up was just a pain for me. I would line it up with good chain tension, then after tightening, it would be either too tight or loose. Lining up the wheel straight was another challenge. It was probably all user error, but EBB set up is just so much simpler. I also like the cleaner look of the rear end as well.