Niner One w/ Fox G2 or "normal" Fox fork- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Niner One w/ Fox G2 or "normal" Fox fork

building up my first 29er SS.... one which i'll use for some 8 hour and 24 hours SS races. coming from a 26" SS, i've been out of the loop for awhile on 29ers and suspension. i am trying to pick up a closeout 2009 Fox F29 fork to put on a medium Niner One frame. Should i stick with a "normal" Fox fork or would a G2 geometry fork work? just wondering what most folks would recommend. sorry about the "newbie" question....

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If you want an answer based on frame geometry, go with the standard f29

Bike Dork
    I really like g2 geometry with 29ers. It keeps the front end from feeling slow to react. I always felt 29ers to feel long wheelbased and slow turning and the G2 geometry seemed to help with that. Especially in situations of threading through rock gardens and trees. Rock Shox redid their offset to their 29er Reba line, it's just not advertised as g2 type geometry but it went from 38mm to 46mm in 2009 indicating that they too believed that the 29" wheel could use some help in the steering department. The G2 geometry seems to make the steering mimic that of the more nimble 26" wheels

mtbr member
    I really like g2 geometry with 29ers. It keeps the front end from feeling slow to react. I always felt 29ers to feel long wheelbased and slow turning and the G2 geometry seemed to help with that. Especially in situations of threading through rock gardens and trees. Rock Shox redid their offset to their 29er Reba line, it's just not advertised as g2 type geometry but it went from 38mm to 46mm in 2009 indicating that they too believed that the 29" wheel could use some help in the steering department. The G2 geometry seems to make the steering mimic that of the more nimble 26" wheels
    Putting a G2 fox on a niner is not going to give it G2 geometry. The bike would probably end up steering too fast. Just stick with the regular fox
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

niner one w/Fox G2

I agree, stick with the standard Fox, your Niner has a 72 degree head angle which is plenty quick in and of itself. I ride a Niner One 9 and have had 3 different forks on it. An older Reba with 38mm offset (nice, stable, but a tad slow in the twisty stuff). Also had a newer Reba with the 46mm offset, oh yeah, that is quick enough and stable enough at 80mm. Also had a Fox on it with its 44 or 45mm offset. Tried it at 80mm and 100mm, both were good but like the Reba better because of the ease of using the lockout adjuster and it seems to have more travel. The Reba also has a longer axle to crown which slows down the Niner a titch which gives it a little more stability for ripping downhill.
    Cheers

The Steeziest!
    Feb 2010
    Ya but if you can get a screamin deal on a g2 fork I'd say go for it I like the 100mm g2 fox on my niner better than the older 38mm reba that was on it

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Snugsteez
    Ya but if you can get a screamin deal on a g2 fork I'd say go for it I like the 100mm g2 fox on my niner better than the older 38mm reba that was on it
    What he said times 2 although on a Misfit. Best thing I have even done. Made a great bike handle even better. I've been on my G2 F29 for several months now.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=5334668&page=6

Scroll down for a look.
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thanks for all the input folks!

sounds like there are several schools of thought here w/ quicker handling vs what the frame was designed around.

it sounds like the newer 46mm offset Reba might also be a good match?!? i guess i had been leaning towards a Fox fork, but i forgot that i have a buddy at SRAM/Rock Shox that might be able to hook a brotha up!

time to make a couple of calls!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Personally, i would trust the engineers at niner over someone's opinion on the internet that you don't even know. Interesting how rock shox changed their offset though!!!
    Engineers can be wrong too!

Quote Originally Posted by onehotchili
    thanks for all the input folks!

sounds like there are several schools of thought here w/ quicker handling vs what the frame was designed around.

it sounds like the newer 46mm offset Reba might also be a good match?!? i guess i had been leaning towards a Fox fork, but i forgot that i have a buddy at SRAM/Rock Shox that might be able to hook a brotha up!

time to make a couple of calls!

mtbr member
    I never found my G2 to be faster or twitchier steering than any of my previous 29ers. I just found it to be better. It felt as though my weight was lower and further behing the front axle. Sort of like I was riding "behind" the front wheel instead of on top of it. That seemed to give me more traction up front when cornering and had the bike feeling more stable when changing directions. The downside for me was that I felt as though I were pushing a wheel burrow when going up hill "especially" if I were standing on the pedals. That was on a Fisher designed around that fork though. I would like to try a frame with a steeper head angle using a g2 fork. My thoughts are it may give some of the same benefits of having the axle out further in the front while the steeper head angle may pull the wheel back under a bit alleviating the wheel burrow effect.

Keep in mind that I have no real understanding of the science involving rake/trail and whatnot but I am just trying to put into words the impression I got when riding the different bikes.

Members who have read this thread: 0