Niner One 9 RDO chain ring rubbing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Niner One 9 RDO chain ring rubbing

Hi Guys,

Need some help. Im in the process of building up a one 9 rdo. I have all the parts but have ran into a problem. Im using a sram direct mount crankset ( gxp bb ) with a 32 tooth chain ring. After I installed the crankset, i noticed that when the ebb is in the rear position the teeth on the chainring rub on the chain stay. After searching it looks like i might need to purchase another chain ring with a 6 mm offset. I am not sure what chain ring off set is currently on the crank set now. Is that correct, the 6 mm off set should move the chain ring further away from the frame allowing me the clearance to run the 32 tooth? Thanks in advance for the help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I think you'll need a Boost chainring with 3mm offset. Or possibly a BB30 with 0mm offset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 06whitetaco View Post
    Hi Guys,

Need some help. Im in the process of building up a one 9 rdo. I have all the parts but have ran into a problem. Im using a sram direct mount crankset ( gxp bb ) with a 32 tooth chain ring. After I installed the crankset, i noticed that when the ebb is in the rear position the teeth on the chainring rub on the chain stay. After searching it looks like i might need to purchase another chain ring with a 6 mm offset. I am not sure what chain ring off set is currently on the crank set now. Is that correct, the 6 mm off set should move the chain ring further away from the frame allowing me the clearance to run the 32 tooth? Thanks in advance for the help.
    I'm also curious about this. I just built up a One 9RDO and got the 32:19 to work but couldn't get my oval 32 or 34t chainring to work. With the 32/19 it is closer to the chainstay than I'd like it to be too. Maybe 0 offset ring is the answer but I'd like verification on it before buying more rings I can't use

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I got a 32 chainring with 0 offset from a friend to try out. I will install it in the next couple days and let you know if it works. By the looks of it, i think that will remedy the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by broeli View Post
    I'm also curious about this. I just built up a One 9RDO and got the 32:19 to work but couldn't get my oval 32 or 34t chainring to work. With the 32/19 it is closer to the chainstay than I'd like it to be too. Maybe 0 offset ring is the answer but I'd like verification on it before buying more rings I can't use

mtbr member
    I had that problem with my xx1 cranks and a 32t ring. I'm not sure of the offset, but when I switched to an absolute oval, I no longer had any clearance issues and could run my cranks in any position.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    I had that problem with my xx1 cranks and a 32t ring. I'm not sure of the offset, but when I switched to an absolute oval, I no longer had any clearance issues and could run my cranks in any position.
    I'd like to know your offset on that oval..because when I put on the AB 32t oval I had issues. The big part of oval is like size of 34t chainring. Idk how a round 32 would give issues but not oval 32

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Installed the 32 ring with 0 offset. Plenty of room in any position now. Problem solved.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by broeli View Post
    I'd like to know your offset on that oval..because when I put on the AB 32t oval I had issues. The big part of oval is like size of 34t chainring. Idk how a round 32 would give issues but not oval 32
    I can't find where I read it, but think at some point absolute changed the offset of their rings. It's possible mine is an older version and has a different offset than yours. To clarify I replaced a round 32 with an oval 32 (34 at largest point).

I think buying the boost version of their rings would solve your problem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yep I did the same. Used a bb30 0 offset oval and there is plenty of clearance. I think a 3mm offset would also work. The chain line needs adjusted a little imo using the 0 though..space rear cog out a little more