Niner Air 9- Mtbr.com

Thread: Niner Air 9

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Niner Air 9

Is anyone running this bike as a single? I was thinking of going with the One 9 but like the option of gears if I wanted to. With the EBB can I run it without a singulator?

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    The EBB doesn't fit in the Air9... That's what they make the One9 for. With the Air9 you'll have to find some other way to tension the chain, of which there are many, none as elegant as a purpose built solution. Again, that's why they make the One9

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the reply

Looks like I will be choosing the sir 9 or one 9.

Nompton, OK
    I was on the fence with the same bikes. I got a lot of feedback about the ability to run the "magic gear" of 32 tooth chainring in the front, 20 tooth cog in the rear and you will not need a chain tensioner. Use the search function and you will find lots of info and pics of people doing the magic gear. Just ordered an AIR and plan on doing the same thing, but also have the abiliy to do 1x9 if I need to. The SIR is nice though...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

AIR9 SS with ENO Eccentric

I just built up my AIR9 for SS use, I am lacing up a wheel around the White ENO eccentric hub, I get the wheel tomorrow. I could not wait so I zip tied a derailer on the 20 tooth cog position and shortened the chain. Two rides like that have been great, chain fell off one time. I was much faster on my normal loop going SS, amazing!! I will report back in a few days about the ENO eccentric. I wanted to be able to run gears for certain races so I thought the AIR9 with the eccentric hub was the best option for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My buddy ran his Air9 with a tensioner, and it was fine. Look at the Soulcraft chain tensioner - its one of the best designs out there. If you want to have the versatility of running gears or single, without messing with tensioners, go with the Sir9... that bike can do both.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by russ3706
    I got a lot of feedback about the ability to run the "magic gear" of 32 tooth chainring in the front, 20 tooth cog in the rear
    The only down side of running Magic Gear is that the chain will stretch.

Members who have read this thread: 0