mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Nimble 9 vs. Misfit Dissent

Trying to decide between the two. Bike will be SS rigid and used on flowing to tight technical singletrack with some nice climbs. Nothing gnarly on the downhills.

I've read the threads on each individual bike but am looking for someone who can compare and contrast the two. Actual riding time is preferred.

One of my main concerns is BB height/pedal strike.

For reference I have a Niner MCR with 175mm cranks. The measurement from the bottom of my BB shell to the ground is 11.75". I don't have many pedal strikes.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    You may not find anybody that can compare the two but if you want a biased opinion one word, Misfit. I built a Misfit belt drive and just took it out for the first time this week. Freaking awesome!
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

One What?
    [QUOTE=Juanmoretime;8930412]You may not find anybody that can compare the two but if you want a biased opinion one word, Misfit. I built a Misfit belt drive and just took it out for the first time this week. Freaking awesome![/QUOTE

Pics?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    [QUOTE=FastFix;8930556]
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmoretime View Post
    You may not find anybody that can compare the two but if you want a biased opinion one word, Misfit. I built a Misfit belt drive and just took it out for the first time this week. Freaking awesome![/QUOTE

Pics?
    Absolutely.

Follow the below brick road or the link.

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/mi...ml#post8932837
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

One What?
    I did and I loved it.

Lemmy Rules!
    Not familiar with a Nimble 9, but have been on a dissent for the past 5 seasons and can tell you it is the only singlepeed29er I would consider, mostly because the curved top tube makes it feel a lot smaller than most 29ers.
    Strava made me do it....

Apr 2007
    I almost bought a Dissent. Looks like a nice frame. I just didn't like the HTA and longish CS. Wish I could have test ridden one, like I did with the N9.

- Happy Canfield owner.

Trail Junkie
    Looking at the Dissent geo. It looks like it matches the numbers on the Salsa Selma that I own pretty close in terms of HA and CS. I think that length CS and HA give a lot of stability and a great carve feel through turns. Its not hard to get the front end up, but I have rode stuff that was definitely easier. After riding the Selma and seeing those same numbers, I wouldn't question those numbers at all. I feel more stable and feel like I have better balance on my Selma than I do on my Full suspension in many cases. I have been eye'ing the Dissent for a while now, I just need some parts to throw a build together.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    I think the biggest factor between the Selma and the diSSent is gonna be the BB height. I had a Selma and didn't care much for it. I felt like I sat up too high on it and never really felt connected to the trail. I shouldn't have been surprised because I had a Mamasita before that and didn't like it much either. Couldn't help myself though because "prior to 2011" they just looked sooooo damn sexy!

mtbr member
    The N9 is a pound heavier, and IMHO my dissent rides as well as any steel bike. I am highly intrigued by the short stays though, and wish my dissent had tensioners...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I owned a Misfit Dissent and sadly, I didn't like it at all. I sold it after 3 rides. The only thing I liked about that bike was the standover. I wasn't a fan of the dropouts either. I looked into the Nimble Nine but decided to go with a geared bike instead so I went with the Yelli Screamy. It's not the same frame as the Nimble Nine obviously, but other than standover, the geometry is quite similar. (I do know that several people who owned the Yelli also bought the Nimble Nine because they liked the Yelli so much that they wanted the same ride but in a dedicated single speed frame.)

I have a 120 fork on mine which gives it a 68 degree head tube angle. That combined with the short chain stays makes it the funnest bike I've ever ridden! It climbs better than my Epic S-works and while it's obviously not going to be as good at eating up the bumps as my 5 Spot, it definitely can handle the technical stuff! It's a lot more capable than I am, that's for sure.

I normally am a spinner when it comes to climbing. I typically just grind my way up. But the Canfield makes me wanna get off my seat and mash which is such a blast! It's definitely brought a whole new level of fun to my riding.

I know the Nimble Nine's are impossible to get a hold of to demo but I'd just pull the trigger if I were you and go for it. If you hate it, just sell it. It sure won't last long in the classifieds!

I'm sure you'll be thrilled with whatever choice you make. Because new bikes are fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have a dissent and love it. I wouldn't say it's the only SS I'll ever own, as I am always changing things up and trying new stuff... but I DO like it a lot.

If pedal strike is a big concern, however, you might look elsewhere. The Misfit does have a low BB height which is what give it the "riding IN it" feel as opposed to sitting on top of it. It's also a very tight frame (I've heard some describe it as squirrely, but I prefer a quick-moving frame), especially when used with a rigid fork and a moderate to low A to C... my small has some toe rub on the front wheel.

For me, the toe overlap and increased risk of pedal strike were definitely worth it, especially as a rider of small frame 29ers... I'm about 5'7" with short legs even for my not overwhelming height, and the standover, and geometry of the DIssetn are perfect. It's a tight, responsive frame that you really feel like you are one with (yeah I know, not very scientific and kinda lame-zeny BS, but that's the best way to describe it). On other small 29er frames I always feel like I am WAY up high, and like a kid riding my big brother's bike..... The Dissent feels natural... I just get on and ride how I wanna ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Went with the N9.

Tough choice between the two.

Thanks for the feedback.