nimble 9 build- Mtbr.com

Thread: nimble 9 build

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

nimble 9 build

ok so frame is on the way and I want to have a build thread for it. with that being said I need help with components

I want to try and keep the budget under 1200 and ive spent 500 already for the frame.

what would yall suggest for the best wheelset for the buck?
    bottom bracket?
    fork?

I know I need a 73mm bb but whats the deal with 68/73 bottom brackets? or is that tapered?

fork wise im not dead set on a rigid fork and I wouldn't mind going for the full 140 so what would yall recommend?

also, for those of you with this rig, what gearing would yall suggest?

as for as pedals, seatpost, bars, grips, saddle, tires im fine but I don't know what to get as far as

breaks
    bb
    wheelset
    fork
    headset

any help is appreciated!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcazes View Post
    ok so frame is on the way and I want to have a build thread for it. with that being said I need help with components

I want to try and keep the budget under 1200 and ive spent 500 already for the frame.

what would yall suggest for the best wheelset for the buck?
    bottom bracket?
    fork?

I know I need a 73mm bb but whats the deal with 68/73 bottom brackets? or is that tapered?

fork wise im not dead set on a rigid fork and I wouldn't mind going for the full 140 so what would yall recommend?

also, for those of you with this rig, what gearing would yall suggest?

as for as pedals, seatpost, bars, grips, saddle, tires im fine but I don't know what to get as far as

breaks
    bb
    wheelset
    fork
    headset

any help is appreciated!
    I've got the bros cranks on my Epo and on the nimble I just picked up and there sweat especially for the price plus they come with a bottom bracket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Tell us what kind of riding you do? Where? XC raceable or hitting some resort lifts?

That frame is pretty versatile, and can be built many different ways. You mentioned you are not opposed to rigid, but may also like a 140 fork... Those are two pretty different extremes.

Congrats on the new frame, looking forward to the new build! I love building from frame up...

Sent using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ok so the local trails are relatively lame in my opinion so this bike will be primarily just single track trails through the woods in the swamps down here in south Louisiana. I have no real need for crazy suspension travel but hey I heard it was fun on this rig lol. I plan to use it primarily for exercise/cc style riding. No bombing hills and massive dirt jumps lol.

Which model bros cranks?

mtbr member
    Here's my list to give some ideas...

I'd definitely get a carbon fork. Frame is already heavy...you'll appreciate the weight savings of a carbon fork for sure. I had a Whiskey #9 on the N9 but I liked the Niner better (minus the fact it was QR) that had more recently. I've now went back to 15mm TA with a Bontrager Bowie that will also allow me to run 29+ up front if I want. I haven't road it yet. I'm still getting the bike back together after it being apart the past 4-5 months.

Crank...I like direct mount. Pick your poison. Mine is a Truvative AKA (SRAM). Nothing special...but it works.

BB...cheap SRAM GXP. They work well enough, cheap, last a year plus. Maybe someday I'll pony up for something nicer with replaceable bearings...but for now...these work just fine.

Absolute Black oval chainring. My N9 had a HBC ring but you can't get them anymore unless you find a used one. They were awesome though. But I'm a fan of the oval and AB makes a fantastic product even if you go round.

Shimano XT or SLX brakes. Mine had Hopes which are great but I hate messing with DOT and the XT's are a lot easier to maintain. Still using the Hopes on my Kona though.

I'm a big guy so I've always appreciated Thomson parts...so seatpost and stem are Thomson on my SS currently. Used them on the N9 too.

Handlebars....wide. Pick whatever works. Mine are Crank Bros. cause they were on sale. No issues. They are what they are. I like the ESI Extra Chunky grips.

Wheels and hubs...so many options. Currently I'm on Flow EX rims and Hope Pro 2 EVO hubs. No complaints. If I was building a new wheel set for the same bike...I'd go Hope Pro 4 and something wider. If money allowed...maybe even carbon rims.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    The 68/73 bottom bracket denote shell width. 68mm for road and CX. 73mm for mountain. Gets wider on fat bikes. You want 73mm. Usually a bottom bracket will fit either so as long as it say both or just 73mm...you're good. The difference will be the length of the middle sleeve. It will either come with two sleeves or the sleeve will be adjustable to fit either bottom bracket width.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

Upcyclist
    Here's my Yelli wheel build I hope to be doing sooner than later.

Easton ARC35 rims (Go 30mm ID if using 2.25"-2.5" tires)
    My existing Hope hubs (You could go Hope SS/Trials)
    DT Competition double butted spokes and brass nipples

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Excellent I'll get on Jensen USA and start looking for parts. Y'all suggest any other places to get bike parts?

mtbr member
    Bike24. Out of Germany.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It doesn't take forever or cost an arm and a leg to get it here?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What headset would you recommend for the carbon niner fork?

mtbr member
    It doesn't take forever or cost an arm and a leg to get it here?
    Not really. 10 days tops. Shipping is about $20 but if you make a larger purchase...the money you save plus shipping is still quite a bit less than buying here. I grabbed a front and rear Hope Pro 4 hub, bar tape, and 64 spokes and brass nipples and paid not much more than I would have paid buying just the hubs from a US vendor. I like to support US companies...but sometimes money talks.

As far as a headset...my N9 had a Cane Creek 110 which is top of the line. The Kona has a Cane Creek 40 which is a super solid headset too...just not blingy like the 110 but half the price too.

Upcyclist
    lol! good thing you're only building a single speeder, not too many parts.

I've heard a good budget headset would be a Cane Creek 40, but I'm not sure as I haven't needed to buy one for my bikes. I'd stay away from Chris King and the like if you truly are on a budget. Also look at Hope stuff if you do decide to get their hubs, so you can get all matchy matchy with other parts: Hope Tech | Made in Barnoldswick, England

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I was thinking of going with purple hope 4 hubs but couldn't find any ss specific lol

Came creek is what I was leaning toward so good news there. Do I need to get anything specific since it is a taper fork?

Lol ss or 21 no worries here. Built plenty of road bikes but everything seemed simpler than this thing lol

mtbr member
    Yeah...you need a 44mm headset upper and lower but make sure the lower is for a 1.5" and the upper 1 1/8". ZS44/28.6 - EC44/40/40, Tapered Steerer Fork.

https://www.amazon.com/Cane-Creek-40...EC44%2F40%2F40

The White Jeff W
    With a 700 budget for wheels, fork, brakes, drivetrain & everything else you'll probably need to look at used or low end parts.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    For LA I wouldn't ever consider a suspension fork, just my opinion. Carver XC 470 fork is a killer deal.
    Pedal through it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I agree that's why I didn't even consider anything crazy. I'll look at the carver.

Honestly I'm scouring to find a good used wheelset to try and save a good chunk there.

The White Jeff W
    Surly Krampus steel fork is $100 new and would be great on your bike. Forget carbon fiber with your budget unless you wanna get a chinese fork on ebay. You could also save alot of $$$ going singlespeed. If its not hilly where you live it might be a good option. $25 cog & spacers and no shifters & derailleurs to mess with. Avid bb7 mechanical brakes work great and can be had for around $100 for everything you need including rotors levers & cables.

Then you just need wheels, tires, tubes, cranks, chain, headset, bar, stem, grips, seatpost, saddle, seatclamp....
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    oh s gonna be single speed for sure jeff I mean. is there any other right way to build a bike....lol I was told to stay away from avid brakes.... wonder why...

The White Jeff W
    oh s gonna be single speed for sure jeff I mean. is there any other right way to build a bike....lol I was told to stay away from avid brakes.... wonder why...
    I have BB7 on my singlespeed. They're fine. One finger braking and Im 200 lbs

No moss...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Right on well that's good enough for me then! I'm only 225 so should work out well

The White Jeff W
    Assuming your frame has 142x12 rear spacing and you used the Krampus fork...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232042898268

No moss...

mtbr member
    Avid hydraulics are not so great. Maybe the new stuff is but they've developed a bad rep over the years. The BB7's were the standard for mech disc brakes. Not anymore...TRP is better and twice the price, but BB7's are still solid for a mechanical disc brake.
    Last edited by Nubster; 08-16-2016 at 12:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How do I tell which came creek 40 I'd need for the surly forks since it's just a straight 1 1/8 steerer

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Aren't those wheels 700c road bike wheels?

The White Jeff W
    Aren't those wheels 700c road bike wheels?
    700c = 29er.
    No moss...

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Avid hydraulics are not so great. Maybe the new stuff is but they've developed a bad rep over the years. The BB7's were the standard for mech disc brakes. Not anymore...TRP is better and twice the price, but BB7's are still solid for a mechanical disc brake.
    Dude has 700 bucks for everything except the frame.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    It's ok. Iv got everything except the wheels so far and a couple hundred left so. With that being said. Are those wheels on eBay decent? I'll just need a spacer kit to space out my cog so not worried about that

The White Jeff W
    How do I tell which came creek 40 I'd need for the surly forks since it's just a straight 1 1/8 steerer
    Cane Creek has a headset finder tool on their website
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It ask about the bottom race for the fork. The jealous doesn't have one so its need to be separate correct?

mtbr member
    Yeah...and?

Downcountry AF
    I have BB7 on my singlespeed. They're fine. One finger braking and Im 200 lbs
    i agree BB7's are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Avid hydraulics are not so great. The BB7's were the standard for mech disc brakes. Not anymore...TRP is better and twice the price, but BB7's are still solid for a mechanical disc brake.
    Shimano hydraulics are only $120 from chainreaction cycles or other euro websites. i found my SLX's for $90 shipped to my door. no reason to go with mechanical brakes unless you want them.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    mtbr members don't let other mtbr members throw cheap sh!t on an N9 frame.

That frame deserves a lot more than what the OP has planned, but as long as he enjoys it that is all the matters....I guess!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If I have to I will wait a little longer and piece it together over time with better components!

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by gsteitz View Post
    For LA I wouldn't ever consider a suspension fork, just my opinion. Carver XC 470 fork is a killer deal.
    ^ that is a 80mm suspension corrected fork and would be too short for this frame.

OP, if your going to consider a Carver carbon fork you should look at the 490.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    i agree BB7's are great.

Shimano hydraulics are only $120 from chainreaction cycles or other euro websites. i found my SLX's for $90 shipped to my door. no reason to go with mechanical brakes unless you want them.
    I agree that the Shimanos would kill the BB7. Looks like XT's front and rear no disc is $147 from Bike24. SLX are $93, also no discs.

mtbr member
    ^ that is a 80mm suspension corrected fork and would be too short for this frame.

One on ebay right now for $250. Not sure what a good price in on one of them but I just saw that. Free shipping from Bikeman. Good place. I just ordered a frame them. Ordered Friday night late, shipped yesterday, be here tomorrow. Pretty decent IMO.

15mm TA too!

Carver Bikes Carbon 29 Tapered Mountain Disc Fork 490mm with 15mm thru Axle | eBay

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    This is what I did for one of my cheap SS builds
    used krampus fork - $50
    cheap shimano take-off hydraulic brakes - $35
    used Shimano octa-link 3x crank - $10 (these look great after you strip the paint and polish them)
    RF chain ring - $18
    KMC SS chain - can't remember
    Shimano Alfine tensioner - $25
    ebay wheels - XT hubs laced to Velocity P35 hoops - $135

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Exactly, have you been to Louisiana?

I think the Nimble 9 geo needs to be dialed down as much as possible for that terrain. Plus if the OP every wanted to do 29+ in the front it'll work!
    Pedal through it!

Upcyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by gsteitz View Post
    Exactly, have you been to Louisiana?

I think the Nimble 9 geo needs to be dialed down as much as possible for that terrain. Plus if the OP every wanted to do 29+ in the front it'll work!
    I say go big as you can. On a 100mm fork with similar geometry I get way too many pedal strikes. These frames were designed for 120-140mm forks.

I've never been to Louisiana, if it's anything like Kansas a slack bike should be just fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So far here's the list I have

Karatemonkey fork- 110
    Race face ride ss w/ bb- 99
    Cane creek 40 zs44- 44.99
    Dmr v6 flats- 19.99
    Brand X 400x30.9 seat post- 17.99
    Slx 675 fr/bk- 122.98
    Hussefelt riser bars- 23
    Hussefelt head clamp- 23
    SRAM pc1- 7.99
    ESI chunky grips- 18

Grand total $490.90
    Last edited by tcazes; 08-16-2016 at 01:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Nice....but I'd seriously consider the carbon fork. The N9 is a pig of a frame as it is...a light fork and 15mm TA will make a difference over the heavy steel fork with QR.

Upcyclist
    The Carver 490 is 7mm longer and has 5mm less offset. It's also 1/3 the weight of the Surly and looks way cooler!

I'd go for it even if it is twice the price and look at ways to save on other stuff.

Downcountry AF
    be aware (all), there are two Carver 490 forks that are slightly different. an "XC" and a "trail" version.

I'd personally make sure i had a good wheelset before i blew the budget on a carbon fork. used Krampus forks are available cheap. he hasn't said what his plans are for wheels yet.

OP, if you plan to start with the Krampus fork just make sure the front hub is convertible from 9mm QR to 15mm TA, or plan on buying a new wheel when you upgrade the fork down the road. you'll also need to replace the bottom cup of the headset.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Upcyclist
    I didn't know there were two 490s. I was looking at the XC ones because of the wider tire clearance. I was thinking of putting a 29+ wheel on my Yelli.

This is the wider XC (and cheaper): XC 490 - Carver Bikes

I'd imagine 29'er wheelsets should be fairly cheap with 27.5+ being so popular. Just look at wheelsets with standard cassette rear hub instead of SS hub and use spacers. I'd look in the classifieds here or craigslist/ebay.

Upcyclist
    Should we even tell the OP about plus size tires?

Here's what I was thinking with the 490 fork, this is on a N9, post #150 at the bottom: 27.5+ WTB Tires and a 2013 Nimble 9= Fun as h_ll!!!!! - Page 3- Mtbr.com

Downcountry AF
    ^ or even a 29+ with the 465/470 fork!
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hey everyone so the floods down here in Baton Rouge are taking there toll and life is having some pretty big changes so this bike won't be getting built any time soon. Waiting to see if I can return the frame if not it's going up for sale. Not. A happy. Camper.

Ps y'all have been the best helping me out!!!!!! Thank you so much and I owe you all a beer!!!

Upcyclist
    Damn, that sucks tc! Email the bros and see what they can do, if it hasn't shipped yet. Hope you get through the floods and back to building soon!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    dang man, I'm so sorry to hear. bikes are just a distraction, hope you are able to keep on keeping on my man.
    Pedal through it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Everything should be good and back to normal in the next few months hopefully. I'll resurrect the thread when it's all back to normal!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Holy bejesus this frame is GORGEOUS!!!! I hate to sell it! Definitely gonna shed a tear when she gets sold! 575 shipped to your door if anyone wants it. Going to post it in the classifieds tomorrow morning.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ups wants 120 to ship the frame back to Canfield!!!! Ima just keep it and slowly build it as funds allow. I'll update the original post as necessary.

Downcountry AF
    if you can afford to keep it that would be sweet, even if you can't build it up right away. if you really need to ship it back, Bikeflights will cost $40-50 to ship a frame.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Yeah...I always shipped USPS and never paid more than $30-40 for a frame. I've only shipped a couple frames granted...but never have any of them cost $100+. That's stupid.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It is stupid indeed. Slowly getting back to where I can buy parts. For now it looks great on the mantle peice in my living room lol