Nice rigid forks?- Mtbr.com
    Who are the brain police?

Nice rigid forks?

I was considering putting down $ on a nice fork but wondered about my options...

Pace has a really nice carbon fork..
    And Sibex has a sweet Ti fork..

Any other nice Ti rigid forks out there?
    Or any other suggestions?
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

Reviewer/Tester
    Don't buy Sibex...enough said..

Pace Carbon is sweet, as is Blacksheep Ti, WW's ..

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    On One has new Superlight CF fork, but it's still few weeks out. Bontrager just released Lite X switchblade CF fork as well.

dz

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    Don't buy Sibex...enough said..

R.
    please explain!

What's the deal with Sibex?
    Ween - The Grobe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Locoman
    What's the deal with Sibex?
    Sibex? I haven't ridden one, but you might want to check this out.

If you don't mind CF and it measures up for you, go with the Pace. It's amazing. The other new ones to hit the market may be good also, but the Pace has proven itself worthy.

Man that's one scary thread.
    Ween - The Grobe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SScheetz
    Sibex? I haven't ridden one, but you might want to check this out.
    That was a Spicer fork, not a Sibex.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    That was a Spicer fork, not a Sibex.
    Oh, so it is not a Spicer labeled Sibex fork?

mtbr member
    I don't know for sure either way. Spicers are made in China by XACD. According to Sibex's site, thier tubing is sourced from an unspecified Russian company. I couldn't find info about where they are welded, though it seems to be commonly assumed that they are welded in Russia too. Maybe they are both welded by XACD.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Nashbar has one nice looking fork. Tapered and straight. No logos. Way better looking than any other straight fork on the market. It probably doesn't fit your bill though since it isn't a very expensive fork. And sounds like you want to spend alot of money.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm riding a Nashbar CF rigid MTB fork, light, compliant, and carves up anything in its path!

mtbr member

Dean Ti fork

Just built up a Dean Colonel SS with the ti fork which I believe is a Blacksheep w Dean logo. It has minimal welding (only two welds up top--no fancy crown) so I think it may be harder to break than some of the others. Its flexy but not bad flexy and I am digging it. Its kinda like having a little suspension action out front down the hills, but when you stand up and hammer on it does not feel like it flexes. I'm 205lbs and I would recommend it if you want something with a little give---the old bike with aluminum was beating me up.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Nice + Rigid = oxymoron

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Nice + Rigid = oxymoron
    Ha ha ha, Nice + Rigid = Black Sheep?? I second the Black Sheep Ti fork and the many logos it can hold, good stuff James is doing!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by miSSionary; 07-06-2006 at 06:46 AM.
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

mtbr member
    Dekerf Tuning Fork

I've been running a set for a few weeks and they are really nice...

Mashers Only!!

Oh Fork ME!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just J
    Dekerf Tuning Fork

I've been running a set for a few weeks and they are really nice...
    I love my Pace forks but that thing is NICE.

HUGH

mtbr member

Forkin' ey!

Quote Originally Posted by HUGH
    I love my Pace forks but that thing is NICE.

HUGH
    Glad you like it thanks Hugh!

mtbr member
    Dude, beautiful DeKerf fork!
    How much if you don't mind asking?
    Can any of these forks be had with a 1" steerer for my Bontrager?
    Lenny

Mashers Only!!
    I'm back just too look again!!! Dang.....Why is the grass always greener over there??

HUGH

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny
    Dude, beautiful DeKerf fork!
    How much if you don't mind asking?
    Can any of these forks be had with a 1" steerer for my Bontrager?
    Lenny
    Hi Lenny

Not sure how much US or Canadian Dollar they are to be honest, but over here they are 330.

Take a look at my site and blogger at www.dekerfcycles.co.uk for more pictures etc or www.dekerf.com I bet Chris wont mind making you a 1" version for your Bonty if you ask...

mtbr member

Hey MiSS

Mine hangs straight while yours is bent to the right...

No comments on the skinny slicks please. I was out riding with my roadie friends.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Dekerf in blue...

Here'sa dekerf fork in blue, 29er version..

singlespeed smash brother
    I've had a Pace carbron and a Deamonchau ti (same as spicer by the looks) The Pace rode much better in all respects. Go the pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Nice + Rigid = oxymoron
    Brake dive rules!

i don't give a shift
    My Ti fork. Anyone recognize it? Hint: it's an old one!

ti-fork.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    i use a viscious cycles steel on a curtlo 24hr frame. i weigh 200-205lb. used for 4mos. no problems. nice ride quality.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by henrypennry
    Mine hangs straight while yours is bent to the right...

No comments on the skinny slicks please. I was out riding with my roadie friends.
    You know if you stand right mine might be bent to the left (I just went with the bend to maybe gain a little more give, think it may have worked!!)?? Very Very nice fork, love the work here in the rockies!! What skewer are you using henrypennry?? Min seems to s@ck at going on all the way.
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by miSSionary
    You know if you stand right mine might be bent to the left (I just went with the bend to maybe gain a little more give, think it may have worked!!)?? Very Very nice fork, love the work here in the rockies!! What skewer are you using henrypennry?? Min seems to s@ck at going on all the way.
    Congratulations miSSionary! You got the new fork. Sounds like you love it. I can't wait to see the revised ride. Now all you need is a ti chain to replace that sick chain you are using and between that and the fork you will have removed at least 10 lbs. of weight!!

Ed E

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    Congratulations miSSionary! You got the new fork. Sounds like you love it. I can't wait to see the revised ride. Now all you need is a ti chain to replace that sick chain you are using and between that and the fork you will have removed at least 10 lbs. of weight!!

Ed E
    Ha ha ha, Ed I lost the chain!! I got a 1/2 link that is .8lbs beating the 1.45lbs chain I had, proud of me now?? 10lbs!!...FRANKS AND BEANS...I was shooting for like 20lbs of waight loss from the fat pig!! YES, I LOVE the fork (I love it so much but the GF says it can't sleep in bed with us anymore ), it is so amazing Ed, not sure why I didn't do this sooner. My frame is suspension correct but the whole bike feels so much more responsive with the fork [yes, the fork is corrected too]). I do love it, you can see it AND tease me more at the Silver Rush!! We need to hook-up again soon for another great ride...saw the Salida pics...Nice!!

... and if we just ...

Ha ha ha, Ed I lost the chain!! I got a 1/2 link that is .8lbs beating the 1.45lbs chain I had, proud of me now?? 10lbs!!...FRANKS AND BEANS...I was shooting for like 20lbs of waight loss from the fat pig!! YES, I LOVE the fork (I love it so much but the GF says it can't sleep in bed with us anymore ), it is so amazing Ed, not sure why I didn't do this sooner. My frame is suspension correct but the whole bike feels so much more responsive with the fork [yes, the fork is corrected too]). I do love it, you can see it AND tease me more at the Silver Rush!! We need to hook-up again soon for another great ride...saw the Salida pics...Nice!!
    You kook, I liked that chain!! Oh well, so much for keeping it the heaviest ss bike I've ever laid eyes on. I loved the irony of the ti handlebar with the heavyweight chain and massive tires. At least I'll get one less stink-eye when I bring my rigid ride - I told you it was awesome fun. Ummmmmm, confession time. I have been talked into the Crested Butte Classic so I will not be at SR this year. Unfortunately they are the same day. PM me about this weekend if you are doing something - I gotta show you my new ride

Not to hijack this thread too much. I have been riding a Walt steel fork and love it. I am now also riding a Pace carbon and while I don't have many miles on it yet, wow!! Both of these on a 29'er which I think makes a difference when riding stiff-legged and should be accounted for.

Ed E

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    You kook, I liked that chain!! Oh well, so much for keeping it the heaviest ss bike I've ever laid eyes on. I loved the irony of the ti handlebar with the heavyweight chain and massive tires. At least I'll get one less stink-eye when I bring my rigid ride - I told you it was awesome fun. Ummmmmm, confession time. I have been talked into the Crested Butte Classic so I will not be at SR this year. Unfortunately they are the same day. PM me about this weekend if you are doing something - I gotta show you my new ride

Not to hijack this thread too much. I have been riding a Walt steel fork and love it. I am now also riding a Pace carbon and while I don't have many miles on it yet, wow!! Both of these on a 29'er which I think makes a difference when riding stiff-legged and should be accounted for.

Ed E
    Ed,
    Yes, fat pig is no longer such a pig!! Ooooh, I do want to see the new ride!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

nice rigid fork

speedgoat.com has a great selection of rigid forks. Tange cro mo for $54 or a salsa if you want to go discs. Pricier stuff also.

mtbr member
    Using the salsa skewer. No problems EXCEPT the "hood" on the fork above the axle dictates that I have to point the lever down as opposed to straight back. May eventually try to grind off part of that hood.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by henrypennry
    Using the salsa skewer. No problems EXCEPT the "hood" on the fork above the axle dictates that I have to point the lever down as opposed to straight back. May eventually try to grind off part of that hood.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I point mine forward right now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Listen! DeSalvo rigid Fatbike fork

Quote Originally Posted by Locoman
    Or any other suggestions?
    I don't have this, but I have been thinking about it:

http://www.wildfirecycles.com/fatbikes.html

Combat Wombat

I just bought a Vicious fork.

Quote Originally Posted by jtibb
    i use a viscious cycles steel on a curtlo 24hr frame. i weigh 200-205lb. used for 4mos. no problems. nice ride quality.
    I bought a used one, figuring if I did not like it, I could probably re-sell it and get my money back out of it. I was amazed at how it rode and actually emailed the seller, telling him that if I would have known how good it rode, I would have bought a new one a long time ago. A rigid fork does not need to be and should not be abusive on most singletrack. I think most of these horror stories come from the too short and extremely stiff cheaper rigid forks on the market. What is up with that? When my Fox TALAS was being serviced a couple months ago, a friend loaned me one of the more popular "under $100" forks that was supposedly suspension corrected and it rode like crap. I find it hard to believe that any fork with an A-C measurement less than 420mm is going to provide anything close to what most frames are designed for these days.

Brian

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Who is blacksheep? And how do you guys know that he is making Dean Ti forks? Does he make the Dean Ti bikes too?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

search results worthless

Sorry. No matches. That's not helpful information. And besides, it avoids the question of if blacksheep makes Dean Ti frames & forks or not.

So, who actually knows. Does anyone here? Or is it one of those, "well I read on a forum that so-and-so makes the Dean Ti frames"? If so, that's cool. Just say so.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by barber
    Sorry. No matches. That's not helpful information. And besides, it avoids the question of if blacksheep makes Dean Ti frames & forks or not.

So, who actually knows. Does anyone here? Or is it one of those, "well I read on a forum that so-and-so makes the Dean Ti frames"? If so, that's cool. Just say so.
    Weird. Do the search yourself. "Blacksheep" on the SS and 29er boards. I had 21 threads returned, most of which detail who they are and what they do.

Simply put those that know James (the owner/welder at BS) have stated he does the fabrication of Dean ti frames/forks.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Weird. Do the search yourself. "Blacksheep" on the SS and 29er boards. I had 21 threads returned, most of which detail who they are and what they do.

Simply put those that know James (the owner/welder at BS) have stated he does the fabrication of Dean ti frames/forks.

Oops. You were right. My bad. I was spelling it "black sheep" (two words) instead of "blacksheep" (one word) into the search engine. Probably why I didn't get any relevant hits. They have a nice website. I like the looks of that retro curvey tube frame. Interesting that they make the Dean stuff. One of the threads say that John at Dean makes the forks. Oh well. Looks like quality **** either way.

Members who have read this thread: 0