Nice rigid forks?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 42 of 42
  1. #1
    Who are the brain police?
    Reputation: Locoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,113

    Nice rigid forks?

    I was considering putting down $ on a nice fork but wondered about my options...

    Pace has a really nice carbon fork..
    And Sibex has a sweet Ti fork..

    Any other nice Ti rigid forks out there?
    Or any other suggestions?
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

  2. #2
    Reviewer/Tester
    Reputation: Rainman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,176
    Don't buy Sibex...enough said..

    Pace Carbon is sweet, as is Blacksheep Ti, WW's ..

    R.
    It is inevitable ...

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dzm3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    234
    On One has new Superlight CF fork, but it's still few weeks out. Bontrager just released Lite X switchblade CF fork as well.

    dz

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    Don't buy Sibex...enough said..

    R.
    please explain!

  5. #5
    Who are the brain police?
    Reputation: Locoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,113
    What's the deal with Sibex?
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SScheetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Locoman
    What's the deal with Sibex?
    Sibex? I haven't ridden one, but you might want to check this out.

    If you don't mind CF and it measures up for you, go with the Pace. It's amazing. The other new ones to hit the market may be good also, but the Pace has proven itself worthy.

  7. #7
    Who are the brain police?
    Reputation: Locoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,113
    Man that's one scary thread.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PeanutButterBreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,565
    Quote Originally Posted by SScheetz
    Sibex? I haven't ridden one, but you might want to check this out.
    That was a Spicer fork, not a Sibex.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SScheetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    That was a Spicer fork, not a Sibex.
    Oh, so it is not a Spicer labeled Sibex fork?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PeanutButterBreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,565
    I don't know for sure either way. Spicers are made in China by XACD. According to Sibex's site, thier tubing is sourced from an unspecified Russian company. I couldn't find info about where they are welded, though it seems to be commonly assumed that they are welded in Russia too. Maybe they are both welded by XACD.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    206
    Nashbar has one nice looking fork. Tapered and straight. No logos. Way better looking than any other straight fork on the market. It probably doesn't fit your bill though since it isn't a very expensive fork. And sounds like you want to spend alot of money.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    151
    I'm riding a Nashbar CF rigid MTB fork, light, compliant, and carves up anything in its path!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: henrypennry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    32

    Dean Ti fork

    Just built up a Dean Colonel SS with the ti fork which I believe is a Blacksheep w Dean logo. It has minimal welding (only two welds up top--no fancy crown) so I think it may be harder to break than some of the others. Its flexy but not bad flexy and I am digging it. Its kinda like having a little suspension action out front down the hills, but when you stand up and hammer on it does not feel like it flexes. I'm 205lbs and I would recommend it if you want something with a little give---the old bike with aluminum was beating me up.

  14. #14
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,814
    Nice + Rigid = oxymoron

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: miSSionary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,566
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Nice + Rigid = oxymoron
    Ha ha ha, Nice + Rigid = Black Sheep?? I second the Black Sheep Ti fork and the many logos it can hold, good stuff James is doing!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by miSSionary; 07-06-2006 at 06:46 AM.
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,517
    Dekerf Tuning Fork

    I've been running a set for a few weeks and they are really nice...

  17. #17
    Mashers Only!!
    Reputation: HUGH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    578

    Oh Fork ME!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Just J
    Dekerf Tuning Fork

    I've been running a set for a few weeks and they are really nice...
    I love my Pace forks but that thing is NICE.

    HUGH

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,517

    Forkin' ey!

    Quote Originally Posted by HUGH
    I love my Pace forks but that thing is NICE.

    HUGH
    Glad you like it thanks Hugh!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OneEyeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    651
    Dude, beautiful DeKerf fork!
    How much if you don't mind asking?
    Can any of these forks be had with a 1" steerer for my Bontrager?
    Lenny

  20. #20
    Mashers Only!!
    Reputation: HUGH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    578
    I'm back just too look again!!! Dang.....Why is the grass always greener over there??

    HUGH

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,517
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny
    Dude, beautiful DeKerf fork!
    How much if you don't mind asking?
    Can any of these forks be had with a 1" steerer for my Bontrager?
    Lenny
    Hi Lenny

    Not sure how much US or Canadian Dollar they are to be honest, but over here they are 330.

    Take a look at my site and blogger at www.dekerfcycles.co.uk for more pictures etc or www.dekerf.com I bet Chris wont mind making you a 1" version for your Bonty if you ask...

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: henrypennry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    32

    Hey MiSS

    Mine hangs straight while yours is bent to the right...

    No comments on the skinny slicks please. I was out riding with my roadie friends.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    496

    Dekerf in blue...

    Here'sa dekerf fork in blue, 29er version..
    Attached Images Attached Images

  24. #24
    singlespeed smash brother
    Reputation: shwinboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    318
    I've had a Pace carbron and a Deamonchau ti (same as spicer by the looks) The Pace rode much better in all respects. Go the pace.

  25. #25
    .......................
    Reputation: ionsmuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Nice + Rigid = oxymoron
    Brake dive rules!

  26. #26
    i don't give a shift
    Reputation: collideous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    863
    My Ti fork. Anyone recognize it? Hint: it's an old one!

    ti-fork.jpg

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    17
    i use a viscious cycles steel on a curtlo 24hr frame. i weigh 200-205lb. used for 4mos. no problems. nice ride quality.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: miSSionary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,566
    Quote Originally Posted by henrypennry
    Mine hangs straight while yours is bent to the right...

    No comments on the skinny slicks please. I was out riding with my roadie friends.
    You know if you stand right mine might be bent to the left (I just went with the bend to maybe gain a little more give, think it may have worked!!)?? Very Very nice fork, love the work here in the rockies!! What skewer are you using henrypennry?? Min seems to s@ck at going on all the way.
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

  29. #29
    3327333
    Reputation: edemtbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,856

    Good job!

    Quote Originally Posted by miSSionary
    You know if you stand right mine might be bent to the left (I just went with the bend to maybe gain a little more give, think it may have worked!!)?? Very Very nice fork, love the work here in the rockies!! What skewer are you using henrypennry?? Min seems to s@ck at going on all the way.
    Congratulations miSSionary! You got the new fork. Sounds like you love it. I can't wait to see the revised ride. Now all you need is a ti chain to replace that sick chain you are using and between that and the fork you will have removed at least 10 lbs. of weight!!

    Ed E

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: miSSionary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,566
    Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    Congratulations miSSionary! You got the new fork. Sounds like you love it. I can't wait to see the revised ride. Now all you need is a ti chain to replace that sick chain you are using and between that and the fork you will have removed at least 10 lbs. of weight!!

    Ed E
    Ha ha ha, Ed I lost the chain!! I got a 1/2 link that is .8lbs beating the 1.45lbs chain I had, proud of me now?? 10lbs!!...FRANKS AND BEANS...I was shooting for like 20lbs of waight loss from the fat pig!! YES, I LOVE the fork (I love it so much but the GF says it can't sleep in bed with us anymore ), it is so amazing Ed, not sure why I didn't do this sooner. My frame is suspension correct but the whole bike feels so much more responsive with the fork [yes, the fork is corrected too]). I do love it, you can see it AND tease me more at the Silver Rush!! We need to hook-up again soon for another great ride...saw the Salida pics...Nice!!
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

  31. #31
    3327333
    Reputation: edemtbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,856

    ... and if we just ...

    Quote Originally Posted by miSSionary
    Ha ha ha, Ed I lost the chain!! I got a 1/2 link that is .8lbs beating the 1.45lbs chain I had, proud of me now?? 10lbs!!...FRANKS AND BEANS...I was shooting for like 20lbs of waight loss from the fat pig!! YES, I LOVE the fork (I love it so much but the GF says it can't sleep in bed with us anymore ), it is so amazing Ed, not sure why I didn't do this sooner. My frame is suspension correct but the whole bike feels so much more responsive with the fork [yes, the fork is corrected too]). I do love it, you can see it AND tease me more at the Silver Rush!! We need to hook-up again soon for another great ride...saw the Salida pics...Nice!!
    You kook, I liked that chain!! Oh well, so much for keeping it the heaviest ss bike I've ever laid eyes on. I loved the irony of the ti handlebar with the heavyweight chain and massive tires. At least I'll get one less stink-eye when I bring my rigid ride - I told you it was awesome fun. Ummmmmm, confession time. I have been talked into the Crested Butte Classic so I will not be at SR this year. Unfortunately they are the same day. PM me about this weekend if you are doing something - I gotta show you my new ride

    Not to hijack this thread too much. I have been riding a Walt steel fork and love it. I am now also riding a Pace carbon and while I don't have many miles on it yet, wow!! Both of these on a 29'er which I think makes a difference when riding stiff-legged and should be accounted for.

    Ed E

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: miSSionary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,566
    Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    You kook, I liked that chain!! Oh well, so much for keeping it the heaviest ss bike I've ever laid eyes on. I loved the irony of the ti handlebar with the heavyweight chain and massive tires. At least I'll get one less stink-eye when I bring my rigid ride - I told you it was awesome fun. Ummmmmm, confession time. I have been talked into the Crested Butte Classic so I will not be at SR this year. Unfortunately they are the same day. PM me about this weekend if you are doing something - I gotta show you my new ride

    Not to hijack this thread too much. I have been riding a Walt steel fork and love it. I am now also riding a Pace carbon and while I don't have many miles on it yet, wow!! Both of these on a 29'er which I think makes a difference when riding stiff-legged and should be accounted for.

    Ed E
    Ed,
    Yes, fat pig is no longer such a pig!! Ooooh, I do want to see the new ride!!
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    56

    nice rigid fork

    speedgoat.com has a great selection of rigid forks. Tange cro mo for $54 or a salsa if you want to go discs. Pricier stuff also.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: henrypennry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by miSSionary
    You know if you stand right mine might be bent to the left (I just went with the bend to maybe gain a little more give, think it may have worked!!)?? Very Very nice fork, love the work here in the rockies!! What skewer are you using henrypennry?? Min seems to s@ck at going on all the way.
    Using the salsa skewer. No problems EXCEPT the "hood" on the fork above the axle dictates that I have to point the lever down as opposed to straight back. May eventually try to grind off part of that hood.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: miSSionary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,566
    Quote Originally Posted by henrypennry
    Using the salsa skewer. No problems EXCEPT the "hood" on the fork above the axle dictates that I have to point the lever down as opposed to straight back. May eventually try to grind off part of that hood.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I point mine forward right now.
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    49

    Listen! DeSalvo rigid Fatbike fork

    Quote Originally Posted by Locoman
    Or any other suggestions?
    I don't have this, but I have been thinking about it:



    http://www.wildfirecycles.com/fatbikes.html

  37. #37
    Combat Wombat
    Reputation: BrianU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,378

    I just bought a Vicious fork.

    Quote Originally Posted by jtibb
    i use a viscious cycles steel on a curtlo 24hr frame. i weigh 200-205lb. used for 4mos. no problems. nice ride quality.
    I bought a used one, figuring if I did not like it, I could probably re-sell it and get my money back out of it. I was amazed at how it rode and actually emailed the seller, telling him that if I would have known how good it rode, I would have bought a new one a long time ago. A rigid fork does not need to be and should not be abusive on most singletrack. I think most of these horror stories come from the too short and extremely stiff cheaper rigid forks on the market. What is up with that? When my Fox TALAS was being serviced a couple months ago, a friend loaned me one of the more popular "under $100" forks that was supposedly suspension corrected and it rode like crap. I find it hard to believe that any fork with an A-C measurement less than 420mm is going to provide anything close to what most frames are designed for these days.

    Brian

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    206
    Who is blacksheep? And how do you guys know that he is making Dean Ti forks? Does he make the Dean Ti bikes too?

  39. #39
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    206

    search results worthless


    Sorry. No matches. That's not helpful information. And besides, it avoids the question of if blacksheep makes Dean Ti frames & forks or not.

    So, who actually knows. Does anyone here? Or is it one of those, "well I read on a forum that so-and-so makes the Dean Ti frames"? If so, that's cool. Just say so.

  41. #41
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by barber
    Sorry. No matches. That's not helpful information. And besides, it avoids the question of if blacksheep makes Dean Ti frames & forks or not.

    So, who actually knows. Does anyone here? Or is it one of those, "well I read on a forum that so-and-so makes the Dean Ti frames"? If so, that's cool. Just say so.
    Weird. Do the search yourself. "Blacksheep" on the SS and 29er boards. I had 21 threads returned, most of which detail who they are and what they do.

    Simply put those that know James (the owner/welder at BS) have stated he does the fabrication of Dean ti frames/forks.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Weird. Do the search yourself. "Blacksheep" on the SS and 29er boards. I had 21 threads returned, most of which detail who they are and what they do.

    Simply put those that know James (the owner/welder at BS) have stated he does the fabrication of Dean ti frames/forks.

    Oops. You were right. My bad. I was spelling it "black sheep" (two words) instead of "blacksheep" (one word) into the search engine. Probably why I didn't get any relevant hits. They have a nice website. I like the looks of that retro curvey tube frame. Interesting that they make the Dean stuff. One of the threads say that John at Dean makes the forks. Oh well. Looks like quality **** either way.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.