NeweSSt Longview SS'r- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

NeweSSt Longview SS'r

This here is Ryan, Ken's (the stella trailbuilder) grandson. He ain't quite 14 yet. His first "SS" ride was a few weeks ago when it was just him and I on the trails. He had grandpa's Cannondale Gemini and I had the fixie. I offered to swap, he said sure. I couldn't shake him for the next 2 hours of riding. That's 2 hours of Stella trails, over logs and roots and stumps, riding a fixed gear mountain bike geared 2:1.

I called Ken up later and said "he's gotta have a SS!". so, over the next week I stripped down a Costco bike, repainted it rattlecan metallic blue, added some nice hydraulic rim brakes and geared it 32:18 and then had Ryan put it back together at a little "maintenance" party last friday. Grandpa added some 2.4" Motoraptors that fit very well in the fork and chainstays. He was very surprised and very happy
    His first ride out on Saturday, he wanted to do the mile long climb just out of the parking area at Stella! He did great. We are all so proud of him!

You'll see lots more of this kid on his SS!

bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Medium?

Nice lookin ride

[ nm ]

mtbr member
    whoos the bald headed guy playin' pocket pool?

Quote Originally Posted by red-haze.com
    This here is Ryan, Ken's (the stella trailbuilder) grandson. He ain't quite 14 yet. His first "SS" ride was a few weeks ago when it was just him and I on the trails. He had grandpa's Cannondale Gemini and I had the fixie. I offered to swap, he said sure. I couldn't shake him for the next 2 hours of riding. That's 2 hours of Stella trails, over logs and roots and stumps, riding a fixed gear mountain bike geared 2:1.

I called Ken up later and said "he's gotta have a SS!". so, over the next week I stripped down a Costco bike, repainted it rattlecan metallic blue, added some nice hydraulic rim brakes and geared it 32:18 and then had Ryan put it back together at a little "maintenance" party last friday. Grandpa added some 2.4" Motoraptors that fit very well in the fork and chainstays. He was very surprised and very happy
    His first ride out on Saturday, he wanted to do the mile long climb just out of the parking area at Stella! He did great. We are all so proud of him!

You'll see lots more of this kid on his SS!

bob

mtbr member

Very cool indeed!

Nice that you gave him a bike. Even nicer that you made him put it back together! Nothing like teaching the young'uns how to build up a bike in hopes that they retain that knowledge for future use! Good on ya!
    A good friend will come bail you out of jail.
    But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying
    "Damn... we fcuked up!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Dat's Grandpa Ken

Quote Originally Posted by MrNatural
    whoos the bald headed guy playin' pocket pool?
    thats Grandpa Ken.

mtbr member
    cool, hope i'm still riding when i'm a grampa! i'm already bald, and the pocket pool, hope i can still do that too.

Quote Originally Posted by red-haze.com
    thats Grandpa Ken.

mtbr member
    Posts like this keep me coming back to this board. Looks like a great bike for him.

Aaron