Newbie question regarding cassette- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Newbie question regarding cassette

I am in the process of building my first SS and have a question regarding the cassette. I'm using a standard wheelset and want to know if I can run a SS cassette on it or do I need a special wheelseht/hub combo? My other alternative is to run a traditional 8-sp. cassette and use spacers.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Never play leap-frog with a unicorn!

One gear to rule them all

Did you check the FAQ?

I am sure this covered in FAQ. Spacers and a BMX cog is all you need. Check the classified section for conversion kits.

Quote Originally Posted by []D[][]v[][]D
    I am in the process of building my first SS and have a question regarding the cassette. I'm using a standard wheelset and want to know if I can run a SS cassette on it or do I need a special wheelseht/hub combo? My other alternative is to run a traditional 8-sp. cassette and use spacers.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    All you really need is a cog and some spacers, check the classifieds or eBay.

Penis Goat!
    I didn't feel like paying the money for cog spacers (I had some lying around, but not enough), so I looked through my pile 'o crap until I found a piece of PVC pipe. I cut it out with a Dremel tool, sanded it so it's flat, and threw it on. I later did it again for another wheel, and both work fine. Cheap, too.

ballbuster

This is what I did:

Not that I'm an expert here, I've only been singelspeeding for 3 days.

I went to my LBS which I am somewhat chummy with the mechanic and asked thim if he had any old worn out cheap cassettes. He gave me the one he had in the trash, and Aosty had another one laying around his shop. I drilled out the rivets and stole the spacers, and had a range of gears to use. He said if I needed any others, let him know ahead of time becasue he changes out 4-5 a week and could easily put them aside for me.

I used a cruddy old derailer with a 3" peice of shifter cable with the stop, threaded the cable through the barrel and bolted it down while holding the derailer about halfway through it's travel.

Once I got it bolted in place I put the rear wheel on and adjusted the derailer barrel until it was perfectly lined up. Viola! Instant cheapo tensioner and single cog!

I did some further adjustments with the spacers to get my chainline dead-on-balls.

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by []D[][]v[][]D

Yep, one cog and a bunch of spacers is all you need. I've been SSing for a year and a half and that's still what I do. If you are going to be using a tensioner, one of the cogs from your old cassette will be fine. If you are going to go without a tensioner, however, then this is NOT safe. Instead, go out and spend a whole Five Dollars on a BMX cassette cog (Shimano DX, or Novatec - the FAQ will have links to suppliers). It will hold the chain on, guaranteed, and even in SS mode it will be thousands of miles before you wear it out.

Penis Goat!
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    If you are going to be using a tensioner, one of the cogs from your old cassette will be fine. If you are going to go without a tensioner, however, then this is NOT safe. Instead, go out and spend a whole Five Dollars on a BMX cassette cog (Shimano DX, or Novatec - the FAQ will have links to suppliers). It will hold the chain on, guaranteed, and even in SS mode it will be thousands of miles before you wear it out.
    Excellent point, I forgot to mention that. I messed around and tried a ramped cog on mine, and even with the good chainline, it came off pretty easily. I don't have any problems with the 14t Shimano DX or 20t Novatec I'm using.

Check with an LBS, I got my cogs locally for $3/each...can't beat that!